• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I use permethrin premise spray (diluted appropriately) for everything, including pets, livestock, house, garden, and shoes and pants legs...

I hunt scorpions with a spray bottle of it and a UV flashlight every night! It'll take out a wasp nest no problem, or keep flies off of livestock. Sprayed on shoes and pants legs, it will ward off chiggers. I've heard that soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan add it to their clothes rinse water.

Permethrin application can cause mild skin irritation and burning. Permethrin has little systemic absorption, and is considered safe for topical use in adults and children over the age of two months.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per...lication can cause mild,the age of two months.

Look for Permethrin SFR 40% for the best value. A quart should be less than $40.
    DK Firearms

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I was making wasp/yellowjacket stations with poisoned meat... they take it back to the nest and BOOM, an entire football field can be cleared that way. Also worked on pavement ants, but since we got a dog, I just use cornstarch for those lil bastids. It swells up in their tumtums.

Glad you have something that works on those fireants. People were buying Diazinon as fast as they could get it after the announcement that it would be banned. I used a bunch of Dursban on termites, that worked great.o 12 months.
    When chlorinated hydrocarbons went off the market, we went with Dursban TC as a termiticide. In the alkaline soils around here, it would break down and be ineffective in 6 to 12 months.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    "Permethrin application can cause mild skin irritation and burning. Permethrin has little systemic absorption, and is considered safe for topical use in adults and children over the age of two months."

Isn't the active ingredient I'd be concerned with (much), but the petroleum solvents in the product the AI is dissolved in. Some of those can be pretty nasty.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    @bbbass

Illegals?

Screenshot_20211003-140736_Chrome.jpg

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    When chlorinated hydrocarbons went off the market, we went with Dursban TC as a termiticide. In the alkaline soils around here, it would break down and be ineffective in 6 to 12 months.

More income for the Pest Control company... ;-)

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun

Oh yes. I lived in the hills NE of the Mexico border in San Diego County. A small town called Harbison Canyon, closer to Alpine. People would often come down out of the hills. Some would knock on my door and ask for food and/or water.

Funny thing... I was stationed at USCG Air Station San Diego... a few helo training flights would use Brown Field Municipal Airport, which is just across the border from Mexico, for "Touch and Go" landing/takeoff practice. After takeoff, we would be coming around and I would look out the window behind us and see someone coming out from under a bush and sneaking to the next bush. One time after a storm we even had to do a rescue hoist of a border crosser from out of the middle of the Tijuana river, which is normally dry, but subject to flash floods.

Last edited:

Surplus Guy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    Hood County
    I had the same problem with spiders outside. No trees however. I used Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer. They says it lasts 12 months. However, 30 days is maximum killing time. I use a 1 gallon pump sprayer. Spiders were feeding on nats and flies. Knock down the webs with cobweb broom extension. Spray the flat area on all windows, brick weep holes, and all exterior cracks where they hide. Spray guttering and downspouts on outside where they are fixed to the house. Also spray the horizontal grills in the eaves. I had many nats living there. Bomb the attic. Spray along the slab where it meets the brick using a garden hose sprayer. Do this twice in 60 days and you will see good results. Don't like paying someone to kill bugs as I enjoy doing the killing myself.

Last edited:

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I use to have a certified applicator license in pest control. I use Bifen IT for outside my house. I am lazy so I use a motorized backpack sprayer for the exterior of my house. I spray along the foundations especially into the weep holes, base of windows, and around the frame of the door. I use Bifen in the yard for ants (for me it's bc of crazy ants), fleas, and mosquitoes. Also spray around all foliage around your house. Since the mosquitoes hide underneath leaves. You do not need to spray a lot in the grass. I probably use 4-5 gallons for an acre lot. Also you need to spray at least 30 yards radius around areas you do not want mosquitoes to show up at night say a swimming pool. They do not like to fly long distances. Also if you have an outside cat you may want to find a chemical compound that is not a Pyrethrin/Pyrethroid since some cat's livers have a hard time metabolizing the compound.

prisondoc

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Converse TX
    Oh yes. I lived in the hills NE of the Mexico border in San Diego County. A small town called Harbison Canyon, closer to Alpine. People would often come down out of the hills. Some would knock on my door and ask for food and/or water.

Funny thing... I was stationed at USCG Air Station San Diego... a few helo training flights would use Brown Field Municipal Airport, which is just across the border from Mexico, for "Touch and Go" landing/takeoff practice. After takeoff, we would be coming around and I would look out the window behind us and see someone coming out from under a bush and sneaking to the next bush. One time after a storm we even had to do a rescue hoist of a border crosser from out of the middle of the Tijuana river, which is normally dry, but subject to flash floods.

7e2607b1bb336e70d73f2a61a979961a.jpg

Back in the early 90’s Momma and I were driving down to San Diego to watch her brother graduate from Marine Boot Camp. As we were nearing San Diego I told her we should be seeing the signs warning us about Illegals crossing the highway. She thought I was making it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I just got a Flowtron outdoor bug zapper, to help with some of the problems hopefully. I have never been to a place with spiders like here! I was thinking the zapper would go out on the front porch, but say mount 25 feet away from traffic areas!

When I go out the front door the no see ums are just swarming, day or night. We never leave the front porch lights on! My front door is set back + there is a cover porch. I can knock the spider webs down with a broom, hit everything with the leaf blower or hose then spray and you would never know it.

Our vehicles set out and the webs encase both vehicles. I have a utility pole near where we park & running power for the zapper might be the ticket! Even the guys who work on my WiFi tower said the spiders & webs need knocking down before the can work 86 feet up.

In the morning when the sun is right I can see horizontal webs catching sunlight across my back yard & the lot behind me. Mowing on the rider is like a murdercycle on the highway for bugs & webs!

As a kid growing up we use to buy the grey aerosol bug bombs at the Army surplus store. Them bad boy would knock out a section of woods killing every thing for a few days! Wish I had a few cases of those now!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom