• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    How many of those of us that endured the original Texas CHL requirements for firearms use education feel that it was excessive.

I am fully for constitutional carry. However I feel that not having the same knowledge as someone that has not participated in the 10 hour course is not as well prepared.

What say you?
    Venture Surplus ad

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Is it me, or is it impossible to impart 12 hours of learning into none. If you know the rules then awesome. If you don’t, then it is your responsibility to know then.

Sorry, there is “I didn’t know that “ defense….is not acceptable.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I feel that it’s a right to carry, but I think there is merit in the course. I have no regrets in taking the course. Really, I think the LTC course is a good CYA because it forces a basic knowledge of the laws. I think folks are better prepared after taking the course

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Moved here from OK in 96....had an OK CHL, but took the class, yes it was two full days.....

No regrets...........

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I thought it was bs, instructor said no one fails.

As with any educational class, you get out of it what you put in. I take CE courses every 2 years in water treatment, even though I've corrected the "instructors" repeatedly when they were giving incorrect information. My license is 3 digits, had it since 1978.....lol

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I’ve learned more here from you folks. Hadn’t shot a gun in 7 years and I shot a perfect score ( so the practical is a joke). I support CC. Not anyone’s business ( especially the Government and their licensing of a right ). We’ve had CC OC for years with no problems that I’ve heard about.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I have been licensed to carry under several names since the late '80s. Ohio, South Carolina, and Texas all required training. Georgia was my favorite permit. No training, no picture, just a print of your trigger finger.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    No matter the merits of any training or even advanced training, the 2nd Amendment doesn't require it of the people...,

...but if the militias were properly established by the several states, training would be nearly universal.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I was lucky enough to have an excellent instructor for my CHL. I took my class (12 hours long) and really learned a lot about Texas gun laws. He was a military police Captain and was really interesting how he presented the class. I later became his Range Officer for many years before he retired. There was a mention above that an instructor would not fail you.....my instructor would, and did if you could not prove proficiency with your chosen firearm. I know of two that had to re-qualify during range time of another class to get the documents signed. No extra charge to do so but he was not going to sign off on you if you could not meet the minimum requirements. There were several classes where the attendees were removing the gun, they were qualifying with, from the plastic manufacturers wrap for the first time. The gun had never been properly cleaned or had a round through it. One guy actually brought a new 1911 and brought .45 long colt ammo to shoot. Some were able to qualify others did not. I have and always will believe that anyone carrying a gun, legally, should have to prove proficiency especially after what I saw some do during their CHL qualifications!!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    While I agree 2A provides the right to carry, it in no way prepares you for understanding laws and what happens if you shoot someone.

The class would be beneficial to everyone. I feel more prepared having taken that marathon class. And we had a couple that failed. Had to retake it.

I agree that many who are CCing with no prior training are at risk. CC gives the right to carry. But some of them need education about carrying.

Would you let a charge nurse remove your gall bladder? There’s a reason doctors perform that task.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom