• ...and so much more!
  • Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I have laser grips on my Kimber 45 and Kimber micro 9 along with tritium sights I carry either and like the identical controls and clearing method (both 1911 style weapons)
    my Sig 320 VTAC has a Siglite with laser, strictly my home defense weapon, I like the strobe function and can operate with off hand or trigger finger when laid alongside the guard.
    I have only used red dots for rapid target engagement style competitions, when I quit those I gave my Grand ones a pistol with the red dot on it .. they LOVE it.
    Gun Zone Deals

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    D4BD0DCE-222E-4B76-A8A1-F82B6944CA80.png

Works for me....

rjrules1909

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 26, 2021
    Austin
    i am in same dilemma as i am pretty new to shooting and an average shooter. i bought shadow systems mr920 elite and i practice around 150-200 rounds every week to become better shooter using iron sights. lot of people i talked at range suggested me to buy red dot and i am not sure if i should spend money or not on red dot. my firearm do have a mount for red dot but i just dont have enough info on how it will improve my quality of shooting. also i only have one 9 mm pistol and i will be carrying same in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I have a red dot on my carry pistol but no weapon light.
    Lights on the gun get bulky and harder to conceal.

How many places do you think you'll be where there isn't enough light to make out your target? A good but small flashlight carried in a pocket is pretty easy to use if you train a little.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    i am in same dilemma as i am pretty new to shooting and an average shooter. i bought shadow systems mr920 elite and i practice around 150-200 rounds every week to become better shooter using iron sights. lot of people i talked at range suggested me to buy red dot and i am not sure if i should spend money or not on red dot. my firearm do have a mount for red dot but i just dont have enough info on how it will improve my quality of shooting. also i only have one 9 mm pistol and i will be carrying same in future.

Do you have a firm grasp of iron sights?

A red dot absolutely makes distance shots super fast and easy, but requires you to re-learn a lot of stuff.

A number i see quoted, and agree with, is that it takes about 5,000 rounds to become proficient with a dot, assuming you are already proficient with irons

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Five thousand rounds? I'm having trouble believing that! Where does that count originate?
    Various instructors, pistolforum, personal experience, i could go on.

If someone is truly proficient with irons, jumping to a red dot is a whole 'nother ball game.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Various instructors, pistolforum, personal experience, i could go on.

If someone is truly proficient with irons, jumping to a red dot is a whole 'nother ball game.
    No offense, but that sounds a trite bit sensationalist. I am "truly proficient" with my chosen handgun. I can draw and be nearly on target with my eyes closed. I think that drawing and dry firing with irons or red dot is not a jump that would require a set number of rounds, especially 4000+.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    To the OP. Save up and buy a red dot that fits and looks good. Put it on and try it out. Worse case, it will justify another handgun.

I have a RMR on a glock 21 and it feels good. It is not however my preferred weapon. I personally don't see a need for a red dot on a carry gun.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    No offense, but that sounds a trite bit sensationalist. I am "truly proficient" with my chosen handgun. I can draw and be nearly on target with my eyes closed. I think that drawing and dry firing with irons or red dot is not a jump that would require a set number of rounds, especially 4000+.

There is a lot going on when you are presenting a handgun, it's not as simple as dry firing or doing a few presentations and everything clicks into place.

If you've spent thousands upon thousands or rounds ingraining iron sights, going to a dot is not so simple. We are not talking about rifles here.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    There is a lot going on when you are presenting a handgun, it's not as simple as dry firing or doing a few presentations and everything clicks into place.

If you've spent thousands upon thousands or rounds ingraining iron sights, going to a dot is not so simple. We are not talking about rifles here.

The only issue with a red dot is that it can lack the feedback to correct for misalignment if you aren’t close enough to see the dot.

I don’t think this would take thousands of rounds to figure out if you are proficient enough to be naturally on target with irons. Especially if you’ve got the slide cut and one of the nice low profile dots.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The only issue with a red dot is that it can lack the feedback to correct for misalignment if you aren’t close enough to see the dot.

I don’t think this would take thousands of rounds to figure out if you are proficient enough to be naturally on target with irons. Especially if you’ve got the slide cut and one of the nice low profile dots.

Dots still aren't low enough to get absolute co-witness, and if someone has hundreds of thousands of rounds with irons, it takes a good amount of practice to get that way with a dot.

I am not talking about simply getting "on target"

Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    I have a front night sight. Does that count?

Been thinking about building a double-stack "1911," maybe in 9mm, for dedicated home defense. I'd put a light and maybe an optic on it, and keep extended magazines for it. It wouldn't be for carry, though.

Regards.

Attachments

• latest 1911 watermark.jpg
      latest 1911 watermark.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 67

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Dots still aren't low enough to get absolute co-witness, and if someone has hundreds of thousands of rounds with irons, it takes a good amount of practice to get that way with a dot.

I am not talking about simply getting "on target"

In the end, isn’t that all that matters?

Co-witness isn’t really necessary. It’s more about the muscle memory to have the gun in the right place when drawn. While the position will change very slightly it’s not by much and most who have trouble with a dot will do so because they used the sights as a way to correct very poor alignment instead of a way to fine tune alignment.

Some guns naturally point very well for some people and they would likely have very little issue with the transition.

I don’t really care what people use and don’t really want a dot on my carry gun, but don’t see that much issue with the pistols I’ve put a dot on. Was good enough to get me second place on the fueling tree in Hicksville years ago but I choked and started pulling shots. My shooting under stress showed far more weakness in my ability and the dot worked quite well.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    In the end, isn’t that all that matters?

Co-witness isn’t really necessary. It’s more about the muscle memory to have the gun in the right place when drawn. While the position will change very slightly it’s not by much and most who have trouble with a dot will do so because they used the sights as a way to correct very poor alignment instead of a way to fine tune alignment.

Some guns naturally point very well for some people and they would likely have very little issue with the transition.

I don’t really care what people use and don’t really want a dot on my carry gun, but don’t see that much issue with the pistols I’ve put a dot on. Was good enough to get me second place on the fueling tree in Hicksville years ago but I choked and started pulling shots. My shooting under stress showed far more weakness in my ability and the dot worked quite well.

Getting on target is only half the battle

Co witness absolutely helps, it gives you a point of reference. Its not as helpful as say, a stock, but its there.

If a gun points naturally for someone with irons, a dot's reticle will create an offset.

Dots on handguns are not a straight improvement like dots on rifles are, there is a learning curve, unless the shooter is a blank slate

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    My G19 that is my primary carry has a light. I didn’t know I needed one until I found myself in a situation where I could not see. I thought I was in danger, I spun around, drew my pistol and then realized I couldn’t see what I felt was a threat. I just stood there frozen with my pistol drawn and heart beating so fast, I thought it was about to leap out of my chest. I believe I was being setup. I know for a fact that someone was waiting for me but I couldn’t see them. I’m sure they were as scared as me when they saw my firearm. I don’t know how long I stood there but after awhile, I holstered and got out of the area.

I’d prefer to not go into more specific details with this story.

Top Bottom