• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    If you were to try a red dot on a handgun you might have to go from full metal 1911 to a plastic gun. My range has rentals and a few have red dots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "My Range"? Is that in Katy? We lived in Katy for many years before we moved to our little retirement ranch. We have children and grandchildren in Katy. I am in Katy about 3 times a week.

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    "My Range"? Is that in Katy? We lived in Katy for many years before we moved to our little retirement ranch. We have children and grandchildren in Katy. I am in Katy about 3 times a week.

Boyert shooting center on mason road

Inspector43

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    If you were to try a red dot on a handgun you might have to go from full metal 1911 to a plastic gun. My range has rentals and a few have red dots

My wife carries a Body Guard .380 with a built in laser. Is that the same thing as what you are calling a Red Dot?

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    378c04b6d105d6a775e8f59e64d0963d.jpg

Attachments

• 378c04b6d105d6a775e8f59e64d0963d.jpg
      378c04b6d105d6a775e8f59e64d0963d.jpg
      946.1 KB · Views: 231

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    I am 76 years old and grew up with iron sites. Qualified Expert several times in the military with only iron sites. I think I am too old to learn these new gadgets. I would probably be more apt to lose if I tried to learn and apply them.
    Respectfully, I would suggest that just because you train with/for new methods or gear, doesn't mean you have to give up the on the "tried and true". Work new stuff in gradually and re-assess what you feel comfortable with over time.

----
    (off topic) - bit of a long read, but some good stuff you may find both interesting and pertinent (tl;dr - skip to the section on "adaptive neuroplasticity")

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3480013/
    ----

I can center mass with no sights at 10 yards easily. But I can center mass at 100yards with the dot.
    ^same reason I started looking into an mrds...

Pretty much comes down to both:

a. wanting to extend the capabilities of a ccw by blending into short/intermediate range rifle capabilities (bridging the gap, so to speak; yes, I know TB aren't in the same ballpark).

b. Make fast, reliable, CNS hits at extended range. (I'll take COM and be happy, but CNS is more satisfying, and ultimately, may be a necessity with the growing prevalence of potential threat agents using body armor)

(comfort will come after weapon "break-in" period, and when I can engage close-range at "reaction speed" and no longer see/need, or be distracted by the dot - e.g. look at something close and have a hole magically appear where I want it...)

No. A laser projects a dot onto the target. A red dot projects a dot onto a piece of glass attached to the sight aperture, and is a much more accurate device.
    ^that, and the dot (a good one, anyway) is always on/ready, vs lasers which needs to be activated.

IMHO, while a laser may be nice for range/pest control, they can often present challenges with bipedal vermin.

Specifically, the challenge is process/time required to activate, and the potential to draw a nice bright line right back to your face for anyone so inclined as to send their own message.

The true exception to that, IMO, would be a small snubby/SA with a grip activated laser;

Great on SD/standoff weapon for someone who doesn't have a ton of training/experience - grip activation allows single hand usage without tying up the trigger finger, and at short range they can easily point'n'shoot without having to worry about giving up position...

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Not if you only have a pistol.
    If I've only got a pistol and the adversary is 100 yards away, I am hightailing it to the nearest rifle or seeking cover.

But then I never could make those Hollywood pistol shots.

Must admit, I have never even attempted a 100 yard shot with a handgun. Guess sometime I will have to try it and see if I can keep it on the silhouette.

Are you shooting free hand or using some kind of support?

Inspector43

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Respectfully, I would suggest that just because you train with/for new methods or gear, doesn't mean you have to give up the on the "tried and true". Work new stuff in gradually and re-assess what you feel comfortable with over time.

----
    (off topic) - bit of a long read, but some good stuff you may find both interesting and pertinent (tl;dr - skip to the section on "adaptive neuroplasticity")

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3480013/
    ----

^same reason I started looking into an mrds...

Pretty much comes down to both:

a. wanting to extend the capabilities of a ccw by blending into short/intermediate range rifle capabilities (bridging the gap, so to speak; yes, I know TB aren't in the same ballpark).

b. Make fast, reliable, CNS hits at extended range. (I'll take COM and be happy, but CNS is more satisfying, and ultimately, may be a necessity with the growing prevalence of potential threat agents using body armor)

(comfort will come after weapon "break-in" period, and when I can engage close-range at "reaction speed" and no longer see/need, or be distracted by the dot - e.g. look at something close and have a hole magically appear where I want it...)

^that, and the dot (a good one, anyway) is always on/ready, vs lasers which needs to be activated.

IMHO, while a laser may be nice for range/pest control, they can often present challenges with bipedal vermin.

Specifically, the challenge is process/time required to activate, and the potential to draw a nice bright line right back to your face for anyone so inclined as to send their own message.

The true exception to that, IMO, would be a small snubby/SA with a grip activated laser;

Great on SD/standoff weapon for someone who doesn't have a ton of training/experience - grip activation allows single hand usage without tying up the trigger finger, and at short range they can easily point'n'shoot without having to worry about giving up position...
    It is a long read, but, it looks interesting. Just visited my physical therapist. She cleared me to shoot, but recommended a bipod or rest of some kind and a recoil pad. I have never used any of that stuff. Looks like I am into the re-train mode as you guys suggested.

Top Bottom