• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Bottom line - not one mode fits all. That's why I always try to identify my choices vs "hard facts". 99% of the things we do are because of choices - and what works for one won't always work for another - and I'm good w/that.

The brutal truth about firearms is this; there's only a few ways to do it right, and a billion ways to do it wrong, you can even do something wrong, but do it so well that it lets you scrape by (untill you go up against somebody who knows what they are doing).

This isn't to say you are wrong (or your gun is junk or anything like that), but the "it works for me" is a common saying used by the people who buy some 50$ junk optic off amazon, throw it on a 250$ AR and think they can jump straight to shooting 200+ yards, or can't wait to show off the uncle mikes holster they just got for their lorcin.

Thanks to the GWOT, the internet, the growth of IPSC, IDPA, 2/3 gun, and other shooting competitions, you don't have to go far to find data on why a certain style of handgun shooting doesn't work, or why things like WML's or red dots are useful.

TL;DR, You have to be careful when you use that argument

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Bottom line - not one mode fits all. That's why I always try to identify my choices vs "hard facts". 99% of the things we do are because of choices - and what works for one won't always work for another

^Quoted For Truth.

I've found that sometimes a little "information kickstart" is helpful just to get pointed in the right direction, and research is often rewarded, but with certain things research can only supplement but never substitute for hands-on experimentation & practice.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I think we need to be a bit more flexible in our opinion regarding "what is right". First off its not much more than than a vetted position or approach you agree with. Of all the "experts" out there teaching "the right thing" the approachs are many and varied.

After that we have to recognize a 65 year old man with arthritis and a heart condition is going to, by necessity, have a different "right" than a 25 year old living downtown.

While we might agree generally on strategies and tactics there also exists a need to be pragmatic in terms of your environment and your physical limitations.

Not discounting training or experience, they are valuable just not always directly applicable.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I think we need to be a bit more flexible in our opinion regarding "what is right". First off its not much more than than a vetted position or approach you agree with. Of all the "experts" out there teaching "the right thing" the approachs are many and varied.

After that we have to recognize a 65 year old man with arthritis and a heart condition is going to, by necessity, have a different "right" than a 25 year old living downtown.

While we might agree generally on strategies and tactics there also exists a need to be pragmatic in terms of your environment and your physical limitations.

Not discounting training or experience, they are valuable just not always directly applicable.

Hence why i said "a few"

You can make anything work, but that doesn't mean it is the best choice, and people are quick to dismiss critical issues by saying "well it works for me".

And people who have a genuine need for "alternate methods" (for lack of a better term) aren't usually the ones who say that, at least in my experience

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    As is normal for TGT we have a lot of thread drift. (Nothing new). The OP asked about red dots and lights on a carry weapon. And then we drifted into what you have at the house for middle of the night problems. These are 2 different scenarios. To break it down IMHO.

1. For a carry weapon I want a concealable weapon that I am very familiar with. No sights are needed if there is enough practice that training will take over. Draw, point, and fire. Aim is not there so no lights or dots needed. It was called point shooting when I was taught it and then taught it. It works. But you have to practice it. Going to the range one a month or less and shooting at a bullseye won't work. Not many ranges where you can work on it though. The routine my ex and I had was: Holstered weapon, I throw a beer can as far as possible, when I threw she drew, when it hit the ground she fired, when it hit the ground again she fired again. Continue until empty. Lots of fun. No sights, no aiming, point shooting. Where she looked she hit. Usually the first shot was abt 3 yds (an empty beer can can't be thrown far). She made it up to 5 out of 6 with the last shot over 20 yds. Don't piss that woman off. That was with a S&W 686 6" barrel.

2. In or around the house different deal, maybe. A strange noise in the dark, process noise thru asleep brain. Brain says someone is in house, arm yourself. Fumble for gun, DAMN where did I put it tonite. Dead dark, your mistake, night lights are handy. Shadow in the doorway, light it up. If unknown follow your best instincts as to shoot or don't shoot. Can't help you there. It's called friend or foe. If foe then point shooting kicks in.

Bottom line is NOTHING can replace practice. Practice enough and sights don't matter unless you are shooting at bullseyes.

You can trick out a pistol with everything available but if you don't practice a good shooter with a box stock gun will clean your plow.

My 2 cents, spend it wisely.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not directed at anyone... YMMV

My sheepdog
    20200114_213503.jpg

Edit: bedside gun. Not carry

Attachments

• 20200114_213503.jpg
      20200114_213503.jpg
      916 KB · Views: 443

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Sure it is..... it's directed to old guys like me that don't own a pistol with a rail on it.........

lol....the Gen 5 Glock is the only one that actually fit my hand and the 19x is a serious thought.....and we sell a lot of the TLR-1 HL series lights....worth every penny..

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Not directed at anyone... YMMV

Edit: bedside gun. Not carry
    There is one critical difference being left out here. Your specific location.

In the city you can pretty much see just fine at all hours. (Well, i can)

In the country (you & I specifically along with others here) its pitch black. You/we almost have to have some sort of light.

Sent from my plant using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is one critical difference being left out here. Your specific location.

In the city you can pretty much see just fine at all hours. (Well, i can)

In the country (you & I specifically along with others here) its pitch black. You/we almost have to have some sort of light.

Sent from my plant using Tapatalk
    Yes sir. Agreed.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I just can't see a light on a carry gun because of the added bulk.
    I agree. I am comfortable with how my carry gun is now. How it rides, draws and fires would change with adding accessories, and I don't want to mess with that. I do have sights, lights and lasers that I may use on other guns, just not on my carry gun.

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    I have both an RMR and an x300 on my Glock 19. Once I started that I cannot go back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bfm0072

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Georgetown
    Interesting comments and thoughts. I have contemplated using one or both but I am with olddag and I am not sure I would like the added bulk. I do see the use for a home gun.

Top Bottom