• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Looking for a scope to put on my Remington 721 in 30.06. Gonna be hunting in South Texas in January, and sounds like most shots will be within 100-200 yards, so I don’t need anything too powerful. I really like the Leupold VR Freedom 4-12, and even though I probably don’t need that much of an optic for where I will be hunting, I may want the ability to have the higher setting later. Vortex and Primary Arms both have scopes in the 2-300 dollar range that seem like good deals, but I figure you really can’t go wrong with a Leupold. Any opinions for or against going with this particular scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns International

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I'd run this in the hellfire illuminated red dot. Then point blank zero your rifle. The red dot is great for low lighting. I run this scope on my hunting rig.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I think any of the scopes you mentioned would work fine. I really like all my my Vortex optics, and they stand behind their products. But so does Leupold. And as PA is local to you, may be another great option.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I replaced my dad's scopes with Leupold 3-9x Freedoms not too long ago.

They are a great value and have really nice glass for their price range. His aging eyes really appreciate it.

He has always had cheap scopes and even though the Freedoms are far from expensive it was a night and day difference.

I say go for it.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    I like my Vortex scopes; no disappointments. I love my Leuopolds, however. Glass is so clear and superior to vortex (at least comparing the two within the set of scopes I own; none of which are over ~$500).

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    It sounds like you need a NightForce scope on your new rifle.

One day I'll grow up and get a NF... and a rifle worth its use...

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    I’m a firm believer in keeping it simple for a deer hunting scope.

I don’t want a host of adjustable knobs while hunting, give me a single power 4 or 6 power quality scope.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    On the cheap end I have a couple Bushnell banner scopes that are a great value. I'm not that thrilled with my diamondback (crappy eye relief) and like my Nikon's better. The buckmasters series were awesome glass for the money. The next step us is Burris or Leupold, I have never been let down with any of those.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Can’t go wrong with Leupold, Nikon, Vortex, PA. I’ve got all 3 of those but a friend of mine only runs vortex.

also, why 4-12? I like a 3-9 for that range. Really if I had good binos I’d run a fixed 6x if I could find one.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Looking for a scope to put on my Remington 721 in 30.06. Gonna be hunting in South Texas in January, and sounds like most shots will be within 100-200 yards, so I don’t need anything too powerful. I really like the Leupold VR Freedom 4-12, and even though I probably don’t need that much of an optic for where I will be hunting, I may want the ability to have the higher setting later. Vortex and Primary Arms both have scopes in the 2-300 dollar range that seem like good deals, but I figure you really can’t go wrong with a Leupold. Any opinions for or against going with this particular scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vortex has an amazing guarantee on their products. I had a set of binoculars from I think their first year in business. Got them issued to me on my job and when I retired I was allowed to keep them. I broke the little plastic piece that secures the strap in place years ago. Heard about their full replacement warranty - no receipt needed - and contacted them earlier this year. They had me send them in, I thought for a repair. They sent me new pair of the same binos. If you go for one of their slightly more expensive scopes, I think they are made in the USA - their cheap ones are made in China or somewhere in Asia but seem pretty good to me; I have two Crossfire II scopes, not bad and have that same lifetime guarantee.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom