Patriot Mobile

Open Handgun Carry in Texas? If not, WHY not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atlas Thug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2013
    Big FTW
    Okay, you guys. This topic should get the blood flowing. I recognize that there are many CHL instuctors on TGT who may feel
    threatened by OC, since unlicensed OC would render the CHL 'slightly' unnecessary. After all, Why would someone get a license
    when they can OC without any 'permission' from the State?
    Ihave been a fan of open carry ever since I visited a few states that facilitate OC in their said state. During my visits, It was pretty comforting to know that folks are very comfortable with seeing guys with guns.

This is my main question. Why are Texas' anti-OC laws worse than even the worst Gun Rights' States?

Consider these comparisons between Texas and New Jersey, for example.
    These are taken from wwwopencarry.org.

TEXAS
    Summary
    "Texas is not a traditional open carry state. They also do not allow open carry, or even printing, by those who have a concealed carry permit."

Now, consider NEW JERSEY

Summary
    "New Jersey is not a traditional open carry state. However, should you be wealthy or connected enough to get one of the rare New Jersey handgun carry permits, New Jersey law makes no distinction between open and concealed carry. However, the status of the state’s preemption law would make this a dangerous proposition. They are amongst the top 5 rights restricted states in the union."

Now, this anti-gun, anti-liberty State will at least recognize a permit for EITHER OC or concealed carry.

Not strong enough for ya?
    Next door neighbor, Pennsylvania.
    Summary
    "Pennsylvania is a traditional open carry state. There are 2 issues that prevent it from being a “Gold Star” open carry state. First, you must have a permit to open carry in the city of Philadelphia and second, you must have a permit to open carry in a vehicle. However, PA recognizes the permits of all 50 states for open/concealed carry in vehicles."

A premier state in the Northeast, and they are a traditional OC State? What gives here, guys?

Why is Texas more preoccupied with 'hiding' the gun, rather than bringing the general public in Texas up to the level of seeing guns in public?
    After all, we are known as being the Lone Star State!

"Anthropologist Charles Springwood defined it well when he said that Open Carriers are trying to “naturalize the presence of guns, which means that guns become ordinary, omnipresent, and expected. Over time, the gun becomes a symbol of ordinary personhood.”

Even if you disagree, my hope is that you will eventually agree with these observations.
    Come on, ya'll. Texas is a GUN state, allegedly, so let's be better than the rest!!
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    You trying to put logic around laws made by politicians spanning back over 100 years?

How about this: Wisconsin allows open carry of handguns or rifles as far back as anyone can remember they prefer you to have them open and on the dashboard.

CHL was a shall issue law just two years ago.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    This is my main question. Why are Texas' anti-OC laws worse than even the worst Gun Rights' States?

Really? In addition to Texas, what states allow the open carry of suppressed machine guns? Bazookas? Rifles, Shotguns. SBRs and SBS? Get back to us when you have that info.

We have the best OC laws in the nation, except for handguns.

Wow, just joined the forum and he is comparing Texas to NJ.....

Join DateOct 2013

Atlas Thug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2013
    Big FTW
    Well then Wisconsin is better than Texas in that regard.
    And renegade thats not the argument.
    We are talking Apples to Apples.. I do not wish
    to walk the neighborhood with my AR.
    Handguns only!

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Their info about Texas law is misleading. While OC of handguns in public is illegal, there are conditions where OC of handguns is legal (on your own property, on a friend's property, or while hunting). And printing itself is not illegal. What IS illegal (and could be considered "printing") is "intentional failure to conceal", i.e wearing a skin-tight shirt that makes it blindingly obvious that you've got a pistol tucked in your pants.

Atlas Thug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2013
    Big FTW
    But B.S., I dont want to simply OC on my property.
    I wish to OC in the same places that allow CHL.
    (no offense by abbreviation!)
    Good option, matefrio. Agree

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm a bit of an idealist but, it's my personal opinion that we should have constitutional carry, and personally I think it should be across all states. I am a CHL instructor as well, though it's not my primary source of income and I don't really care for it to be anyways (I much prefer classes actually teaching people how to shoot). Personally, I support OC for the simple fact that I believe it is every person's right to choose the manner in which they will carry as well as what they would like to carry. Even if it was legal to OC in Texas, the vast majority of the time (like 98-99%) I would choose to concealed carry, as there are some very definite and definable tactical advantages to it.

That being said, there are unfortunately a LOT of goobers in the OC movement, such as the guy we saw pictured in a Starbucks, holding his long gun in his hand, posing for the camera, holding the gun in a low ready position. NOT COOL. If you're going to carry a long gun in public, have it slung around your back in a non-threatening manner and be sensible about it. Pictures of off duty soldiers and teachers in Israel are a great example of how to go about your daily business in a professional manner, while having an openly carried firearm on you. Unfortunately, more often than not I see a lot of die-hard OC advocates making what I feel are rather poor choices when it comes to exercising (in states that allow it) OC. Things like using a crappy one-size-fits-all nylon holster, as opposed to a Safariland ALS or SLS retention holster. The way I look at it, if you want people to support your (I'm just speaking generally) cause, be professional about it and actually do it in a professional manner with professional equipment.

This is a good example of the type of people we need to be educating towards being a bit wiser about their gear and the manner in which they conduct themselves in public, if they're going to OC.

opencarry.jpg

skitched-20130809-172049.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    YG, no offense, but it wasnt.
    Equating 'printing' to OC is erroneous and not
    the argument.
    Thanks Sig..
    Big +1!!

Sorry about the repetitive signature! Tried to erase

He said that the information presented by opencarry.org was misleading then gave a pretty good explanation of why. He did not equate printing to OC, opencarry.org made that leap, and incorrectly interpreted our laws in doing so.

As far as saying one state is better because you can OC with a license that you can't get.....well, that's just silly.

I fully support OC and constitutional carry, I also believe that it shouldn't replace the CHL because it also has it's uses.

The real answer to why Texas doesn't have OC is because of a few politicians who hold key positions don't want us to OC.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    [sarcasm]. Wow, this thread has been an interesting fresh perspective[/sarcasm]

Rather than state the obvious again and complain, his about a thread that encourages people to vote, contact their legislators, and take real action.

Just a thought.

BTW, Texas generally proscribes the carry of handguns at all. Out of the exceptions, more allow open carry. I know the OP realizes that, so we should cease telling folks that Texas does not allow open carry. We should say the truth. OC proponents want unrestricted open carry. Nothing wrong with that.

And don't blame instructors. I have been a CHL instructor for a decade and taught well over 1k people. I support OC.

Top Bottom