• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Start writing them now! Tell 'em you're moving here & would like to get the ball rolling before you arrive. Just choose the correct legislators for the area you're moving to.

Good luck with the new job!
    DK Firearms

CEONCRG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    MANSFIELD TX
    What will happen to the CHL holders if an OHL law is appoved? I personally feel more comfortable carrying my gun concealed. I would also feel safer if a drug crazed idiot decided to rob a convenience store while I was waiting in line having my weapon concealed. I would be worried that having a gun on my hip in the open may make me the first target.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Fine - go for a motorcycle ride in 100 degree heat.....now tell me, where are you gonna conceal the gun when you get off to get gas?

Or mow the grass in shorts and a tee shirt, and run to the store to get gas - where's the gun concealed?

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    What will happen to the CHL holders if an OHL law is appoved? I personally feel more comfortable carrying my gun concealed. I would also feel safer if a drug crazed idiot decided to rob a convenience store while I was waiting in line having my weapon concealed. I would be worried that having a gun on my hip in the open may make me the first target.

My guess is just like CHL, you'll need a license. Not a separate one, just a license to carry, your choice concealed or not.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I wouldn't mind having a nice scabbard, mounted to my motorcycle, for a short barreled shotgun. LOL I guess I would have to carry it with me if I got off though.

JustaPhule

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Greenville, TX
    I wouldn't mind having a nice scabbard, mounted to my motorcycle, for a short barreled shotgun. LOL I guess I would have to carry it with me if I got off though.

On the bright side, you wouldn't spend a lot of time waiting in lines with a SBS in your hand and people would be much more polite around you.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Arizona retained their CC permits when they passed open carry, Texas would as well, I'm sure.

FYI : I think you put the cart in front of the horse. OC has been in place for as long as Arizona has been a state. CC passes in 1994.

Arizona is the proof that all the things people fear about OC are not true. People still got CCW permits, people did not freak out at the sight of a gun on your hip and there are no wild west shootouts.

I am sure that the same will hold true for Arizona's new constitutional carry law. Nothing is gonna happen. People fear what is new or that they don't understand.

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas

If you feel more comfortable CC'ing, fine. Carry concealed all you want. But the fact that you're not comfortable OC'ing is not a good enough reason to deny my OC'ing.

I've been in a few states that allow open carry; they also allow concealed carry. If you don't want to OC, you get a permit and CC - no problem either way. There's no reason what-so-ever that TX couldn't have the same laws.

I've posted the following scenario a couple of times already:

Regarding the "tactical disavandatage": You & I are in the same establishment. I'm OC'ing, you're CC'ing. If the "bad guy" isn't convinced to leave because he sees someone is armed and decides to take me on ('cause he can see my firearm), that's to your advantage - it'll give you more time to get to your own firearm. Keep in mind too that it's likely to take you longer to get to your firearm than I, most methods of CC'ing involve moving cover garments out of the way before you can get to your firearm; OC'ing doesn't (normally) have that additional complication.

You could carry a smaller gun, like .380 Auto in your pocket when you are mowing the grass or riding a motorcycle.

Have you ever tried pocket carry while mowing or riding? It ain't comfortable. You've got this heavy chunk of metal dragging your pants down and banging away against your leg. Or pinching you in unpleasant places if you move wrong. I've never pocket carried while riding, I'm a bit concerned about it staying in the pocket. One last thing about that idea; what should I do if I don't own & can't afford to buy a .380 or similar?

ETA:

People fear what is new or that they don't understand.

That seems to be a lot of what I'm hearing about OC here in TX. Most folks have expressed fears of "Can I still CC?", "You'll be the first targeted", "You'll have it taken away & used against you", "Only idiots will OC & I don't want to be around idiots". All fears of the unknown or of their imagination. Once OC gets passed & some time goes by, the fears will subside as people see that what they feared didn't come about.

Living is a crap shoot. You rolls the dice, you take your chances. To really live, one must take a chance occasionally. Can't live wrapped with bubble-wrapped.

Bigfoot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Merkel
    ..."keep it covered at all times or you are in violation"..."You are in trouble if you intentionally expose the firearm to view."...."

My point is, if we had open carry this entire discussion would be moot and we could move on to more important topics...like "Is wearing a shoulder holster exposed just showing off?"

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    The local news ran a story on open carry a couple days ago: Gun Laws: Too Tough or Not Enough? They had promised a follow-up bit, but it hasn't run - or I missed it.

I'd have posted the link sooner but have been offline the last couple of days.

The gal from the Brady Campaign was predictable. The Congressman was a bit disappointing in that he seemed to be against OC simply because he didn't want to OC. I've sent him an email, with a snail-mail letter to follow soon.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Most folks have expressed fears of "You'll be the first targeted", "You'll have it taken away & used against you", "Only idiots will OC & I don't want to be around idiots". All fears of the unknown or of their imagination. Once OC gets passed & some time goes by, the fears will subside as people see that what they feared didn't come about.

If that was going tobe a problem, it would have surfaced in the other states like Arizona that allow open carry. There is no basis in fact for fears like those, so people who state such concerns have to be educated.

Top Bottom