• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    The way I think about it is “damn, what a *****, could he not handle being around a firearm?” What did he think was gonna happen?
    Having been to a scene where an officer got shot in an ambush after a 911 call asking for police, I can completely understand why the officer would have asked for the pistol to put away for the time he was there. I've asked people to put guns and knives away before too. I am not willing to risk my kids father or my wife's husband over it most of the time, its nothing personal... we cant control all risk but with close extended contact we have to be safe. One of the sucky parts of the job is having to always think worst case scenario.

I open carry at work (duh) and have a few times off-duty. I am used to it from work and have only rarely noticed someone react to it. I prefer cc for a number of reasons, but sometimes if you want to carry you slap it on where it fits.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    "I can completely understand why the officer would have asked for the pistol to put away for the time he was there. I've asked people to put guns and knives away before too. I am not willing to risk my kids father or my wife's husband over it most of the time, its nothing personal... we cant control all risk but with close extended contact we have to be safe."

^^^This, plus it is the way we are/were trained for many years(especially in larger departments). A lot of the "younger Officer's" would ridicule Officer's for not "securing the scene" and allowing an unsafe environment. Fortunately with recent changes in the law and more open-minded attitudes, it is changing somewhat.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ... I've asked people to put guns and knives away before too.

Q from curious side: what if I say no while on my property after having duly produced a valid TX DL and LTC after demand for identification?

Scenario: Upon returning home, I notice signs of forcible entry and call 911, report it, AND my legally armed status, then stay on the line with dispatch and outside the house until the officer arrives.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Q from curious side: what if I say no while on my property after having duly produced a valid TX DL and LTC after demand for identification?

Scenario: Upon returning home, I notice signs of forcible entry and call 911, report it, AND my legally armed status, then stay on the line with dispatch and outside the house until the officer arrives.
    Good question!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I respect and support all law enforcement until I have a damn good reason not to. If I'm armed at my residence, and have called the police to report a possible intruder, etc., I will not disarm myself (edit to add) and I will produce whatever identification asked for. If the officer says it's for "officer safety" I will respond that my weapon is for "my" safety. I wouldn't think that's out of line. He doesn't know me, but I don't know him/her either.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since we have wandered into "Officer interactions"; has anyone else had a LEO unload and disassemble their weapons before returning them, despite proper ID's & CWP's/CL's ? A few years ago, I had a Deputy do that with my two carry pieces on a traffic stop. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I had 3 other loaded weapons within arm's reach. He told me "Don't touch your weapons until after I drive off." I just said "OK, Thanks Officer" and waved him Bye-Bye. leVieux

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Having been to a scene where an officer got shot in an ambush after a 911 call asking for police, I can completely understand why the officer would have asked for the pistol to put away for the time he was there. I've asked people to put guns and knives away before too. I am not willing to risk my kids father or my wife's husband over it most of the time, its nothing personal... we cant control all risk but with close extended contact we have to be safe. One of the sucky parts of the job is having to always think worst case scenario.

I open carry at work (duh) and have a few times off-duty. I am used to it from work and have only rarely noticed someone react to it. I prefer cc for a number of reasons, but sometimes if you want to carry you slap it on where it fits.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reasoning as to why. Makes sense!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Since we have wandered into "Officer interactions"; has anyone else had a LEO unload and disassemble their weapons before returning them, despite proper ID's & CWP's/CL's ? A few years ago, I had a Deputy do that with my two carry pieces on a traffic stop. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I had 3 other loaded weapons within arm's reach. He told me "Don't touch your weapons until after I drive off." I just said "OK, Thanks Officer" and waved him Bye-Bye. leVieux

Were you flashing gang signs, and wearing colors?

:green:

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

Hasn't happened to me during my haste inspired interactions with LEOs and of the ones I handed both licenses to, only one ever asked if I had any weapons on me, and left it at that after I told him where it was.

Also, one time I opened the glove box and a Ziploc baggie with white powder residue jumped out. Guy didn't even blink even tho he clearly saw it.

Hmmm, which guns do I have that would stymie attempts to disassemble them roadside? The Sig/Mauser M2 maybe. Possibly the CZ 52? The P.38 might be obvious to me but not to others.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Wow,

Two very reasonable LEO members of TGT have explained that their commitment to going home to family leads a willingness to seek the side labelled caution. I absolutely support their motives and decisions. And as a license holder, I understand that there are no protected locations where I am not obligated to heed instructions from a LEO. Since he was on my property on my invitation, he was absolutely within my understanding of his rights.

Some disclosure: 1. I live in-the-hood among folk he should absolutely watch carefully and I look just like my neighbors from an unfamiliar perspective. 2. I had already surprised him at his vehicle on his arrival after watching him pull up on my camera system. I was careful enough to stand back from his SUV window and identify myself as the caller but he was the second officer to arrive while I was waiting for my non emergency response. Turns out another unit had been dispatched to my street to respond to reports of a domestic altercation. I know about the domestic response 'cause I met the first responder when he showed up on my cameras as well.

Times are very tough for LEOs; I'd ask all y'all hard heads to give'm a little extra grace when they are working from a position of vulnerability. It is easy for me to understand I had the advantage of familiarity and firepower at my house. Allowing him to take control also allowed me to build trust and respect with an officer I had never before met.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Trust and respect go both ways.
    On your own property, you do not need a LTC or the officers permission to carry. And do NOT have to disarm at their request.
    I realize that we are in a time when officers can be in somewhat more danger than in some times past. In some places, it has always been this way just more wide spread than it used to be. And I normally support them in their jobs. It is, without a doubt, a tough job.
    That being said, anytime that officer safety trumps my safety or rights, they need to look for another job. They are in the wrong one.
    They are not there guaranteed to get a paycheck and go home safe or be safe in their lives every day.
    They are there to try to make sure we do go home safe and are safe in our homes.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    I realize that we are in a time when officers can be in somewhat more danger than in some times past. SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Not quite. We've had a steady decline in officer fatalities since 1969. 50 years now with a spike coinciding with the "war on drugs" if you go back even further there was a large spike during prohibition too.

Im all for officer safety but we gotta use a little common sense here.

So the officer doesnt want a gun around him during whatever hes doing. Ok. Why have said person remove said gun and introduce it to the situation? Its far safer where it's at in the holster than being handled during an interaction.

I had a trooper pull me over for speeding. My mom was with me. He had my mom remove my gun from my holster (wouldnt let me touch it) and put it in the back seat. So now we have my mom totally unfamiliar with the retention on my holster spending 3 minutes getting it from the holster then awkwardly placing it in the backseat. How is that in anyway safer for anyone invovled?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...te-in-2019-third-lowest-in-50-years?_amp=true

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Wow, some bravado going on. I don't have the statue handy but we were taught in most of our academies that in Texas, we as Officers (investigating criminal activity/ongoing investigation) do have the right to "disarm" anyone who we deem "may" be a threat to our safety or to the public safety. (I realize that raises a lot of temperatures but I have seen the statue, just won't come to mind right now, sorry).
    Normally a lot of what transpires between Officer's and the public we serve falls under "Officer discretion" in how we apply the laws, which sometimes upset the people we serve.Most of the time when I would make contact with someone, I really have no idea who they are or their character/attitudes/mental state. It doesn't mean I believe you to be a criminal, but I simply don't know you. How many Officer assassinations have we all heard of in the media over the past few years?

With the current "mental health crisis" I simply don't know your mental status or attitudes. Given a few minutes to speak with you in person makes a lot of difference in gaining trust and evaluating our interaction. If that seems unreasonable to the public then I'm sorry, but I also have the right to go home to my family at the end of my shift. (contrary to some's belief that we get paid to take that risk, and until I determine that you are trustworthy, I would sometimes ask persons to put their weapon elsewhere for all our safety so I can focus on the issue I am there to help with, hopefully). Until I can satisfy myself and my partner that you are not someone who intends to ambush me, I consider it to be an "exigent circumstance" and do have some latitude as to how I handle it. As long as you keep your weapon in your holster and are not making furtive movements towards that weapon, we generally aren't going to have an issue. That doesn't mean that every Officer will feel the same, people are people with differences in temperament/tolerances.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    "Officer discretion" is exactly what it should be. They never know. If asked, I certainly will comply but it should be because of behavior, etc., not just everyone they they deal with. I'd rather have officers requesting a subject to be disarmed than have them shot! However unhappy it may make me, I'd follow their instructions.

Last edited:

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If you're carrying fully open, i.e. fully visible, no attempts to even slightly conceal the piece with an untucked shirt, you absolutely should use a high grade retention holster like the ones made by IMI..."
    View attachment 201541

I do use a level II retention ("rotary adjustable" cant, like IMI's "RotoRig" holsters) poly holster: But mine is made by Cytac as it's the ONLY one available: IMI Defense & Blackhawk/Serpa don't make a holster for a TT-33 Tokarev! ;-)
    -- BR

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom