Join TexasGunTalk

OPEN CARRY CURRENT STATUS

Discussion in 'Texas LTC / CHL' started by leVieux, Feb 13, 2020.

1. jordanmills

jordanmills TGT Addict

Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    same here. Once a younger guy asked me what i was carrying and if i liked the holster, but that is about it.

My wife says it might be because i look like a cop. I am not exactly sure what that means though. But i do work for a local government entity, and sometimes we oc in a work polo, after work.

2. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have open carried almost since we could. I have had only one somewhat negative encounter, if you want to call it that.
    Sirloin Stockade is posted 30.07. I didn't see it. Nobody said a word until after we were seated and the manager came over and, very nicely, informed me. Gave me the choice to cover it or get a refund. The cashier had quietly informed him, no scene, while being very courteous. I happily covered it with my shirt tail and everyone was happy. I don't think any customers even noticed or cared if the did.
    The most negative comment was from a little girl about 10. She asked if it was real. She smiled and said "Wow".
    I have had cops walk by and not care or ask if I was licensed. It has been almost a total non-issue.
    No cops pointing guns at me in fear I would shoot them.
    No crowds running and screaming in fear.
    Very anti climactic really.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

3. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Downtown Austin is one of the few places I OC. Generally if I have to pay one of the pay stations to park. It seems to ward of the living dead. They will approach with the standard “hey brother” horseshit from 60’ away and when they see the holster they turn around and find something else to do.

BMF500, Big Green and Dancing Heretik like this.
  4. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2016
    Husband and I often OC or “barely” OC in downtown Houston areas, mostly shopping, where we feel safe to do so (not a bad area where we would be stalked or targeted. No one worries about it.

TxStetson likes this.
  5. Glenn B

Glenn B Active Member TGT Supporter

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    I do not purposefully open carry but have accidentally OC'd twice since here in TX. No one seemed to notice. My sweater had ridden up once while driving and I forgot to check when I exited my vehicle; the other time, the wind blew my open jacket back exposing the pistol for a little bit. When I realized it each time, I covered up since I do not like to advertise. In NY I might have been arrested for exposing it in either of those instances; the laws are that bad up there and some of the cops are that anti gun owner.

6. Dred

Dred Active Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I OC pretty frequently and I'm certain I print fairly frequently. Until last Thursday I had never had a police officer bother noticing beyond compliment or talking firearms - even before I cut off my dredlocks.

Last thursday a porch pirate showed up to abscond with my new Garret Industries Holster - 15 minutes after it was delivered. The officer that eventually arrived to take the police report asked me to put the pistol in the house for him. Naturally, I indicated the concealed that he'd missed entirely and suggested he probably wanted that one put inside as well.

It bugged me until I realized I was on my own property so he didn't have a clue I was licensed and I didn't make an issue of it. Prior to that two different ranges took issue - I lapsed my membership at one of the two and the second has a much more 2A friendly attitude today.

Pre legal OC, I rode the entire state with my cover garment flapping in the wind - never an issue. I have LEO friends and have played poker with LEO groups.

I have had a few conversations at fast food restaurants. And I made sure my convenience store guy saw me confirm his sign and spin on my heels for 6 months after Bloomberg sent everybody signage before he took it down and I was able to explain he was only prohibiting good guys with that sign - he had no idea.

Only generalization I've made is OC has given me the opportunity to school black folks about my motivations and intentions. I think they ask 'cause I'm a black guy. I think I'm around a dozen new ltc's that I know of.

Finally, 'bout 6 months ago I had a dummy try to ridicule me for feeling tough 'cause I had "that gun" and insinuating that he'd have my ass if I didn't have it after I'd put my bumper about 2" off his bumper in front of my gf's house. I smiled and let him know he was right - I'm too old to be bothered proving dummies wrong anymore. Turns out he's no longer welcome at my gf's neighbor's house.

Like the rest, I don't think most folks notice. I think LEO understand that I'm displaying a clean background check, but I wonder if even half notice.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    jordanmills, GoPappy and Hoji like this.
  7. rotor

rotor Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Wichita Falls
    I think that I would have been quite upset at that LEO telling you to put your gun in the house on your own property. I would have asked him to put his gun in his car. I just find that very upsetting. My only contact with LEO when open carrying was a deputy sheriff that was on my property retrieving livestock and he asked what kind of gun I was carrying. Glock 43 I said and that was it.

Big Green and Dred like this.
  8. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2016
    The way I think about it is “damn, what a *****, could he not handle being around a firearm?” What did he think was gonna happen?

Dred likes this.
  9. BillRedding

BillRedding Member

Jan 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX (Westside)
    I OC pretty much exclusively (for at least 12 years now): Here in TX presently, when I was living in CO (moving back there in September), and NM when I visit (often). I kind of "have" to OC as I'm President of OpenCarryElPaso (OCEP)...have to set the example, and despite Beto O'Rourke's most strenuous disapproval. ;-)
    Naturally (!), I do NOT OC on Federal property (VA Clinics USPS, military bases, SS Office). And recently -- due to the mass-shooting that happened here @ Walmart a few months ago -- I switch to CCing to go into the store (Walmart and Albertsons, who have "requested" no one OC anymore), then immediately go back to OCing when I am back out in the parking lot.
    As some here have already said, most people don't notice OCers, or think they're some sort of LEO. But nowadays, I get the impression MORE people seem to be noticing. ;-)
    Whatever, in the ~12 years I've been OCing, no negative encounters, only one "kind of disapproving" look/comment from a Grandad with his 2 Grand-kids in a Colorado Springs Walmart some years back: "Why do you need to carry a gun in a Walmart?" Right...
    All the MANY other comments have been positive (and I give each person I talk to a "business card" so they can contact me if they have further questions/interest)...and, these impromptu encounters gives me the chance to encourage them to get their permit (if their state requires one) and CARRY also (CC, as I know most people will NEVER OC, it take a "special" person to do it -- most people aren't up to it). So my MAIN goal is to get the general public out there to take personal responsibility for their OWN safety/protection, not rely on others (911, cops or intervening armed bystanders -- Good Luck to them with that).
    So IMO, OCing gets 2 things done CCers can NOT do (and IME they don't CARE to do, and have TOLD me so): "D&E" -- Desensitizing & Educating. I see it as a "grass-roots" effort (on my part) to reach "the hearts & minds" of those who ask me questions about guns/carrying. IMO, we need MORE OCers out there to help with that huge job, even though it's not likely to happen. Regardless, I do what I can by myself to "preach the gospel" of RKBA/Self-Defense to thso who ask (I don't push anything on them unsolicited).
    But even if I do not actually TALK to anyone, I'm at least getting some "D" done, as people (other customers, employees/management) see there's "a gun in the house" -- but nothing BAD happens! In fact, nothing at all happens: I'm just going about my business like anyone else there. The only difference is I wear a gun.
    I think lots of people would be surprised how many guns are around them every day/everywhere they go that they DON'T see (because people are CCing) and again, nothing bad happens! By OCing, if they notice mine, it's probably the first OCer they ever seen and probably don't know what to expect (who knows their preconceived notions of carriers, but likely their erroneous) -- yet again, nothing bad happens!
    I hope they figure out it's not the gun itself, it's who has it -- and what he/she is doing with it.
    Carry...whichever way you do it. There's no substitute.
    -- BR

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    jordanmills, GoPappy, rotor and 2 others like this.
  10. BillRedding

BillRedding Member

Jan 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX (Westside)
    Oops...just saw some typos/errors, but there's no way to EDIT my previous post to correct them. :-(
    -- BR