• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Once upon a time, it was recommended by some holster makers, by many a firearms instructors, and by several uncle Billy Bobs to wet down a leather holster and put you gun in it for awhile to form the leather. Never quite understood why someone would want to do to combine wet leather & steel. I used to use a little bit of Neatsfoot or Mink Oil on them and let that facilitate the forming. Nowadays it seems holsters are much better formed right out of the package but I still test them & break them in a bit before carrying them (off the range or outside the apartment) holding whatever gun they are made to hold.
    DK Firearms

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Once upon a time, it was recommended by some holster makers, by many a firearms instructors, and by several uncle Billy Bobs to wet down a leather holster and put you gun in it for awhile to form the leather. Never quite understood why someone would want to do to combine wet leather & steel. I used to use a little bit of Neatsfoot or Mink Oil on them and let that facilitate the forming. Nowadays it seems holsters are much better formed right out of the package but I still test them & break them in a bit before carrying them (off the range or outside the apartment) holding whatever gun they are made to hold.

The guys at Ted Blocker said *not* to use any liquids (including oil) on their holsters to break them in, because it would make them too soft and they would lose their retention qualities. They just said to jam the gun in a plastic bag or two and stuff it in the holster and let it sit, the leather would stretch just enough after a few days of doing that to draw easily, yet hold the gun firmly.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    The guys at Ted Blocker said *not* to use any liquids (including oil) on their holsters to break them in, because it would make them too soft and they would lose their retention qualities. They just said to jam the gun in a plastic bag or two and stuff it in the holster and let it sit, the leather would stretch just enough after a few days of doing that to draw easily, yet hold the gun firmly.
    Yes, that is what is recommended today. I was just repeating what was said decades ago.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    There is this thing called humor. Look it up. Where did I say glocks suck? I didn't you did. But I will defer to your opinion. Glocks suck.

There’s humor, and there’s worn out, sad clown humor. I generally pass on the latter. My bad.

Also, sorry if my sentence was complicated or confusing. Nope, while it’s a commonly held, foolish opinion on this board that Glocks suck, it’s certainly not mine.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Nope, while it’s a commonly held, foolish opinion on this board that Glocks suck, it’s certainly not mine.
    Common opinion on a gun forum is that they suck. Let your own words sink in for a min.

I'm not a cop, so I was never sold the kool-aid. Practically a proprietary grip angle, can't shoot cast bullets, unsupported chambers in some calibers, not any more reliable than any other modern pistol.

There's a lot going against them.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Common opinion on a gun forum is that they suck. Let your own words sink in for a min.

I'm not a cop, so I was never sold the kool-aid. Practically a proprietary grip angle, can't shoot cast bullets, unsupported chambers in some calibers, not any more reliable than any other modern pistol.

There's a lot going against them.

Some of that's right - the Glock uses the same grip angle as the Luger, the Steyr M series pistols, the Stoeger STR pistols and a handful of others.

Their reliabilty reputation has suffered some because of some hiccups in the gen 4's, and with guns like the G44 - but it was a well earned rep. Similarly other guns that had "to hell and back" reliability reputations have also suffered due to QC issues.

Glocks aren't for everyone, but there are a lot of people who they work well for, and they're still selling every gun they make.

They're not my number one choice - but I carry essentially a more ergonomic Glock clone, a gun that wouldn't exist if Glock hadn't paved the way for it.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    So nothing I said was untrue. I know I'm the Stephen A Smith of the glock world. Sometimes it's fun to play the part, but there are reasons I don't own any.
    Common opinions on gun forums are largely driven by misinformation and ignorance.

A lot of what you said is untrue.

Glocks can shoot cast bullets. They cannot shoot soft lead bullets in the first 4 generations due to the polygonal rifling.

The only “truly unsupported” caliber is the .40 S&W caliber in the earlier models, and there were issues. But there is some wiggle room in virtually every semiautomatic pistol, 1911’s included. But tell me this…other than the .40, what other caliber have you ever heard Glock having issues with?

Grip angle is not “proprietary. It may not be same as a 1911, but it isn’t patented.

Finally, while new models of striker fire guns are getting more reliable every year, none have the history of reliability and flat out abuse that folks have documented with Glocks on many occasions. There have been a few Berettas that went a lot of rounds, but show me any that has a record like this gun:

You don’t have to own them or even like them. But to say they suck is a foolish and ignorant statement

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Common opinions on gun forums are largely driven by misinformation and ignorance.

A lot of what you said is untrue.

Glocks can shoot cast bullets. They cannot shoot soft lead bullets in the first 4 generations due to the polygonal rifling.

The only “truly unsupported” caliber is the .40 S&W caliber in the earlier models, and there were issues. But there is some wiggle room in virtually every semiautomatic pistol, 1911’s included. But tell me this…other than the .40, what other caliber have you ever heard Glock having issues with?

Grip angle is not “proprietary. It may not be same as a 1911, but it isn’t patented.

Finally, while new models of striker fire guns are getting more reliable every year, none have the history of reliability and flat out abuse that folks have documented with Glocks on many occasions. There have been a few Berettas that went a lot of rounds, but show me any that has a record like this gun:

You don’t have to own them or even like them. But to say they suck is a foolish and ignorant statement
    Splitting hairs much? I said practically leaving room for the lugers and styers, but what percentage do they represent in the gun world.

Cast ve soft lead. ok I misspoke, but c'mon

Of course it has a proven record. A lot of police forces use them because of some great salesmen and deals given to depts from what I understand. I would bet any m&p, cz, sig, etc... would have long proven records if given the same level of exposure.

I already admitted I enjoy stirring the pot. I just see Glock as the IPhone of the gun world.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    1634704474215.png

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Splitting hairs much? I said practically leaving room for the lugers and styers, but what percentage do they represent in the gun world.

Cast ve soft lead. ok I misspoke, but c'mon

Of course it has a proven record. A lot of police forces use them because of some great salesmen and deals given to depts from what I understand. I would bet any m&p, cz, sig, etc... would have long proven records if given the same level of exposure.

I already admitted I enjoy stirring the pot. I just see Glock as the IPhone of the gun world.

It’s okay to stir the pot, but the pot you’re stirring smells like one of the honey cans we used to burn in the desert while deployed…

the excerpt below is from another website and posted by the owner of Battlefield Las Vegas. It is a high round count, themed firearms rental range in Las Vegas. He has a lot of posts about all kinds of guns and their performance after thousands of rounds…

Posted: 5/25/2015 1:37:09 PM EDT

Hi folks,

I have been answering questions for the AK guys for about two weeks now regarding AK's with 100,000+ rounds and what type of issues we see. Well, we have pistols that have over 100,000 rounds and I can provide a little info.

The background for the high round count is that we are rental-only range one block off the Las Vegas Strip (called Battlefield Vegas) and after all the talk about AK's, I completely spaced on the reliability of the pistols we use on the line everyday of the year except for Christmas. We go through approximately 150,000-180,000 rounds combined of 9mm, .45, .50AE, .500S&W, .38 Special, .380 and 9mm Makarov each month. I don't count .22 because even though we go through 1,000's of rounds, it's not in the same class as our standard calibers.

I can tell you that even though I am not a "Glock guy", it is the most reliable handgun in our inventory and I would trust it with my life. We use Gen1-Gen4 17's on the line and they are the most hassle-free handgun we have. I used my original Gen1 17 when we first opened two and a half years ago and it finally broke about six months ago. When I say broke, Glock's pretty much are the only handgun that suffer a "catastrophic" break. The slide cracks right at the narrow portion at the ejection port. They will continue to fire most of the time but the rounds group at the top right corner of the target. The factory recoil springs are amazing because the just keep going. The Glock gets used probably 10X as much as our Beretta M92's so it's not a fair to say the Beretta is more reliable (see below). We don't use aftermarket slides on our Glocks so I couldn't give you any info those because Glock will replace our cracked slides under warranty. Also, I don't meant to give the impression that breake slides all the time but it would be fair to say that they get at least 100,000 rounds before cracking.

My personal favorite, the Sig P226 doesn't fair as well. We go through more recoil springs in our 226's than any other weapon system combined. We've yet to break a slide but they will not function with a broken recoil spring.

Our Desert Eagle .50AE's run pretty reliable but the part that fails the most is the piston. We always have a few spares in the shop.

Our Beretta M92's...the one that all the RSO's hate, also hold up very well. In the last two years with the same four Beretta's, we've only replaced one barrel and "locking piece" that sits under the barrel. The M92 is only included in one package that we offer or the customer has to request that pistol specifically. It doesn't get run nearly as hard as the 1911's, Glock's or Sig's.

I will get more info on our 1911's (we use Sig, Springfield and Armscor) and I know I see them tagged for repair more often than the other pistols. I will find out what is the most common issue.

V/R
    Ron M Cheney “

I’d be happy to provide a link to the original post if asked in a PM.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Last post by me and I’m out….

Full disclosure, I’m a Glock fan, but I’m also a Walther, Ruger, Springfield, S&W, Sig, 1911, Staccato, and CZ fan.

I am a sarcastic person and like pushing buttons too. But the insane Glock hate is such nonsense and something I just don’t tolerate well. It’s one of my many character flaws …LOL!

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I think the whole Block VRS Slab sides thing is hilarious!

Tools are tools. A ball peen hammer is not good for driving nails. A claw hammer is a poor choice setting rivets. The tool that works in one hand is nearly useless in another!

Top Bottom