• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I'm doing some research about the requirements to getting my CHL once I get settled in Texas. I see that there are options for online classes as well as classroom classes.

From what I can tell, take the online test and take the range potion of the test later. The classroom version can be all done in one day. Are there advantages or disadvantages to either? When are the fingerprints done and who does them? Is the picture for the license taken from my driver's license?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just trying to educate myself so I'll know what to expect.
    Texas SOT

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I was curious about the online classes too. Even tho I already have my LTC, I wanted a "refresher" course. I have to say, it was pretty boring. Not nearly as entertaining as the first class I took from a live instructor. Sitting in front of the computer for 6 hours is not as fun as it sounds. I completed it over a period of several days. It is time controlled, so no jumping ahead or fast forwarding. All the subjects were pretty well covered, but for me, the live classroom experience was much better.

Another problem with the online version is finding an instructor who will administer the shooting qualification portion. There are online courses that offer both as a package tho.

To start the process, go to the Tx.gov website here: https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdp...zT1!722007178!-2044163750?errorReason=session

Digital finger prints are required and there are designated contractors you must use. Yes, the photo from your Tx DL will be used for the LTC.

Bottom line: Having done it both ways, I recommend the live classroom over the online course.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Take a live and in person classroom class. Instant, relatively, feedback from questions you, or others, might have that won't appear on a computer screen. And having done various courses and classes online, my opinion is that, it almost always leaves you with unanswered questions. I took my classroom and shooting quals. all on the same Saturday, and other than getting a hot case hit me on my left eye area (Thanks for eye protection), it was a fairly pleasurable day.

On top of the above. it's a great way to start networking with local folks.

Bozz gave you a good starting link and basic info. above.

Last edited:

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Hhmmm, at least 'online' you don't have to listen to some knuckleheads constantly interrupting the instructor with how they don't agree with the law or have some obnoxious need to tell personal stories.

It happened in every class I attended, buncha pia's!

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    In Virginia, there was no classroom work nor range time. It was just paperwork and write a check. In SC, I had to do the classroom and range time and our fingerprints were done by our instructor.
    I was shooting my old S&W Model 10, the same gun I'll use in Texas, and the guy beside me asked me why I was shooting it DA and not SA. He said he'd never seen anyone shoot a revolver like that before. Another guy with some kind of 1911 couldn't shoot the 5 round string without a malfunction.
    During, the classroom part there was a guy that couldn't wait to carry so he could shoot someone. I wonder what ever happened to him.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    In Virginia, there was no classroom work nor range time. It was just paperwork and write a check. In SC, I had to do the classroom and range time and our fingerprints were done by our instructor.
    I was shooting my old S&W Model 10, the same gun I'll use in Texas, and the guy beside me asked me why I was shooting it DA and not SA. He said he'd never seen anyone shoot a revolver like that before. Another guy with some kind of 1911 couldn't shoot the 5 round string without a malfunction.
    During, the classroom part there was a guy that couldn't wait to carry so he could shoot someone. I wonder what ever happened to him.
    He should of got a dnf.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I would say classroom has the ability to be much better than online.

I will also say that some instructors are terrible and should be avoided because they do not understand the laws they teach. Make sure you get a good class so you don’t come out thinking it’s illegal for an 18 year old to buy a handgun or some other idiotic misunderstanding of Texas and Federal laws.

I haven’t taken a class since the rules were changed, but ask around with people who’ve taken classes and try to find one from an instructor who actually knows what he’s doing. If you can’t find a good one in your area then I would recommend taking it online or traveling somewhere for a better class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I would say classroom has the ability to be much better than online.

I will also say that some instructors are terrible and should be avoided because they do not understand the laws they teach. Make sure you get a good class so you don’t come out thinking it’s illegal for an 18 year old to buy a handgun or some other idiotic misunderstanding of Texas and Federal laws.

I haven’t taken a class since the rules were changed, but ask around with people who’ve taken classes and try to find one from an instructor who actually knows what he’s doing. If you can’t find a good one in your area then I would recommend taking it online or traveling somewhere for a better class.

I've had a permit for a long time now. I'm a long way from knowing everything but I know enough to cover my own arse. I just need to go through the motions to do the paperwork and range time. If I learn something new along the way, well, that would be great. But, I have a pretty good BS filter and I'm naturally skeptical of people.

I'll be the guy sitting there listening and not speaking unless directly asked a question. I'll be the gray man...with hair to match.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I've had a permit for a long time now. I'm a long way from knowing everything but I know enough to cover my own arse. I just need to go through the motions to do the paperwork and range time.

Your permit is irrelevant to understanding Texas weapons laws, which are the most complicated in the nation.

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    Definitely do the in class portion. I took an LTC course and it was awful. Bad instructor and I left with more questions than good info. Then I took another one with a reputable instructor. He kept it upbeat and positive. Educated us on the laws and what you could and couldn’t do. He went over holsters and equipment, carry methods, when it’s okay to draw and when it isn’t. He went over deescalation techniques. I highly recommend the class I took with Nolan at Boyert in Katy. Don’t know where you’re looking to move but I would highly recommend this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    For the minimal amount of actual education the LTC class imparts, where you take it does not matter much. Your personal understanding of Texas law and common sense is what's important.
    The in-person class does offer much better instructor war stories. And the comments from students that may or may not even know what sort of class they are taking can be priceless. Sometimes I guess its fun to stand on the firing line and wait, while the instructor explains that having played years of FPS video games does not really prepare one for how loud a gun is and that real guns have recoil.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You will stand on that firing line regardless of if you choose to do a class or online course.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    You will stand on that firing line regardless of if you choose to do a class or online course.

So you’re telling me this isn’t the online shooting test?

16F06FAE-EB61-451D-A3D2-76C156F47555.gif

Attachments

• 16F06FAE-EB61-451D-A3D2-76C156F47555.gif
      16F06FAE-EB61-451D-A3D2-76C156F47555.gif
      151.6 KB · Views: 445

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If you move to the San Antonio area, I highly recommend the good folks at Lonestar Range.

https://lonestarhandgun.com/

One stop shop! They have excellent instructors, good facilities, and the fingerprint machine, which many (most) others do not have.

they even take your picture and provide all necessary paperwork.
    Fingerprints are done via FAST and your driver’s license photo is used for your LTC these days.( for the last several years)

Top Bottom