Texas SOT

One scope for multiple rifles, or multiple scopes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    For the first time in my life, I've been shooting longer ranges. 400-600 yards w/a 6.5 Grendel, 700-1000 yards with a Tika 308, and starting monday at least the same distance with a 6.5 creedmoor ar10.

I've never owned high dollar scopes before. I'm shooting the Tika with $170 Burris fullfield 4-14x... I was kind of ok with it, until I got behind a few other nice scopes, A viper PST, a NightForce 5-25 (iirc), a Kahles something, a Burris Xtr ii 4-20? I think... they were all simply amazing. Going back to my burris absolutely sucks.

So, for the first time ever I'm going to spend some real $$ on a scope. Or scopes.

I'm budgeting something under $2k for this.

Should I buy 1 badass, amazing optic, like a Nightforce or a Kahles, or should I buy 2 or even 3 really nice scopes, like a Xtr II, or Viper, etc.

I will ONLY buy used, unless I find AMAZING deals. I've bought lots of stuff off of snipershide, and trust the long-time members there who sell stuff, and there are alowasy good deals on used scopes there - and all of them have life time warranties... so no worries.

Thanks in advance for the input.... i'm off to bed. Have a GREAT WEEKEND!
    Hurley's Gold

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The optic should support the mission. An optic can be interchangeable, but you need to make some decisions first and need to realize it’s not as easy as pull and place.

You’ll need detailed dope books and zero gouge. It can be cheaper and easier to set up the same scope on each rifle than it is to spring for one and transition across multiple rifles in different calibers, especially if the ballistic profile differs significantly between calibers and configurations you’re shooting.

Feel free to m me to have a conversation.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I've never owned an optic over $300. Personally I would never spend 2k for a scope. If it was me I'd try to find a nice adjustable 34-50 power, first focal plane, moa scope in the $400-$600 range & out fit each of the rifles.
    I own several vortex so I'm kind of partial but have been looking at Athlons in that price range along with the Vortex.

..just my .02

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've been your shoes. Long range needs a decent scope. Here's what I've got in ascending price:
    Best one for the money, a SWFA 10x. Bulletproof and great glass.
    Athlon Argos. Has very good tracking, decent glass. Cheap.
    SWFA SS HD 5x20. Fantastic glass. Reticle is a bit thick.

I've been behind a lot of Vortex scopes. If you can find a used Razor, snag it. The vipers are pretty good too.

I ended up buying separate scopes for my LD rifles. Too much hassle to move them.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I couldn’t imagine the nightmare of constantly swapping and zeroing the same scope every time I wanted to shoot a different rifle.

Some will say “buy once, cry once” and if you follow that then my advice would be to get one nicer scope and a couple others to keep you going or run what you have on the other rifles for now. Perfectly valid advice.

I tend to go a different direction. I upgrade as I can and move scopes to other rifles they would work well on.

My favorite bands are Vortex and SWFA. I have a 1st gen Viper PST that I’ve run on a .308, .50 BMG, and currently sits on a 6.5 CM. I also have an SWFA 10X that has been on just about every rifle I own. It is by far the most versatile scope I’ve ever owned. It’s gone to 1600 yards with the BMG and currently lives in a .17HMR where it really shines. I now have and SWFA 16X on the BMG which is a good scope but the magnification is pushing the limits of the glass and objective.

I like Vortex for what you get for the money. “Good enough” Glass, lots of options, no questions asked warranty, and solid tracking.

I like SWFA fixes power scopes because the glass is “good enough”, they are damn near bullet proof, solid tracking, and a TON of elevation adjustment. For $300-400 depending on parallax location they are really hard to beat.

IF you go with less expensive scopes the things you need to be sure of are that the glass is “good enough” to do what you want to do and the tracking MUST be solid. There are scopes with amazing glass that won’t track for shit.

If you are shooting targets that blend in with the background you will need really good glass. If you are shooting white silhouettes or plates you can get away with “ok” or “good” glass. High magnification with lesser glass is a waste, it will just get blurry. On a Texas summer day it’s tough to get over about 16X anyways for me. The mirage tends to become a problem.

If money were no issue I would buy IOR Valdada. I’m not there so I try to plan my scope for future use and it’s worked out well. That SWFA 10X is one I would never let go. The 16X is about to go through a trial by mirage as we get in to summer but it has the adjustment and tracking to reach about 2000 yards without holding over. That left me with about $1500 that could be spent on load development and practice in order to make use of all that adjustment.

The answer to your question really depends on you and how you’d like to structure your future purchase. But I would say playing musical chairs with a single scope will get old the first time you have to remount it and sight in the scope only to put it back on the first rifle a few days or a week later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Oh, and decide on MOA or MIL and stick with it. I thought I’d like MOA because I grew up with it but have come to appreciate MIL after getting used to it.

Whichever you choose, it’s much easier if all the scopes match so you only have to keep up with one type of data.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Oh, and decide on MOA or MIL and stick with it. I thought I’d like MOA because I grew up with it but have come to appreciate MIL after getting used to it.

Whichever you choose, it’s much easier if all the scopes match so you only have to keep up with one type of data.

Yes! Great advice in both posts. I was also an MOA guy. I've moved to MIL. Practically, it doesn't matter much, but as you said, having them all the same is nice.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Any chance you’re a veteran? Vortex has a great vet/mil program. I bought a Razor the other year that way, still pricey but a heck of a deal.

Any small, home based FFLs near you? They may be able to get you a great deal. My FFL treats me very well as a repeat customer. I bought an ACOG the other month for a smoking deal.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    If you have a $1000 rifle spend the same on a scope. I prefer Vortex because of their warranty. Followed by Leupold. Above that don't put a $1000 scope on a $5000 rifle or a $300 scope on a $1000 rifle. Realize that a world class shooter with a junk rifle and scope is going to out shoot the avg shooter. Match the rifle's capability with the scope. Remembering the scope can move from rifle to rifle as your abilities improve. Buy the most scope and then upgrade the rifle. When the 2 match then maybe you didn't buy enough scope to begin with.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Gen 1 Vortex PSTs are a steal since the Gen 2s came out. $2k can buy you three very nice scopes from that lineup.

Moving scopes is a pain especially if you are sharing it with multiple rifles. I would try to avoid that if possible.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have to agree with Younggun, it's a pain switching scopes. I at first tried that, and it didn't take long before I started buying scopes to fit the rifles.

As a side note: For a scope that's on the cheaper side, I was pretty impressed with Athlon, and like Vortex they have lower and higher end scopes.

Last edited:

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Whelp... looks like I'm buying a EOTech Vudu 3.5-18x50 FFP MOA MD-2 reticle for $600 (used off of snipershide), and am talking to a guy about a Steiner GS3 4-20x50 for $600. I will either buy that steiner, or an older nightforce non-illuminated for $800...

One of the scopes I got behind last weekend was this exact Vudu, and it was stellar. In my-admittedly ignorant as of yet- opinion, it was at least as good as the Vipers, maybe better.

A lot of the comments I've read and talking to some of the long range local guys comes down to 2 things I really want to figure out how they might affect me: Washout of a lit reticle in bright Texas sun, and heat waves making anything much over 15-ish to 20-ish power unusable... I'm really skeptical about my need- or maybe not need, more like utilization- of illuminated reticles. In the last 15 years, I've never shot a hog or coyote with a rifle in daylight or even near dusk, it's always been 2-5 am, and I have an ATN night scope a buddy gave me in October (I get his cast-offs every year). For the last 3 years I've been hitting hogs w/a dpms panther 308... cheap and effective.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I had some Steiner Commander Binoculars that I bought new in the early 80's. They came with a lifetime warranty which later proved to be a lie. Found out the way they were built they were never serviceable. After many e-mails & fighting with Steiner the gave me a pair of predators as a replacement.

I know nothing of their current scope construction. I know nothing of their current warrenty. I would do more research before giving Steiner any money. I was really pissed off when Laser Devices was bought out by Steiner because my DBAL is a Laser Devices. And this is not a low powered laser unit!

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    The steiner is used, private party sale. As to the warranty I don't much care whether they repair or replace it with something equivalent if it goes bad.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom