• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The worst GM vehicle I ever owned was my 83 Chevy S-10 pickup. Fuel mileage was good but the truck was the slowest thing I've ever owned. I gave a friend a ride home and showed him how it ran at full throttle without downshifting. We laughed as it just made a slightly different sound at wide open throttle but there was hardly any acceleration! I kept thinking that a kid would run alongside and tap on the windows as I took off from a stop light! There is no excuse for that pitiful performance level to ever reach the customer!

I've owned some bad cars but that Hyundai Sonata (89, I believe) was the worst. The body actually wasn't bad but the engine was a POS. I got the car free because it had a broken water pump shaft. Our Asian buddies decided that the water pump shaft was going to be a major player in driving all of the accessories. The shaft was small in diameter and the drive pulley was positioned outboard of the bearing pretty far......just the thing for a shaft breakage!

The Sonata also had some balance shafts that needed to be timed correctly by pulling a plug in the block and sticking a screwdriver in a hole to time the balancers. I did the job and while I owned it, paid close attention to drive belt tension to ease the burden on the water pump shaft. I drove it for about 6 months.

The Sonata A/C had dozens of "O" ring fittings and it leaked like it had been shot with a 12 gauge, so I let a local service shop work on the freon leaks. They also re-tightened my accessory drive belt without telling me and I had another broken water pump shaft within a week. I couldn't prove the shaft broke because of excessive belt tension so I parked the damned car in disgust and sold it for peanuts. That is the car that created the phrase "If you GAVE that car, I'd sue you for damages!"

What made that car interesting was that the parts were dirt cheap. The Hyundai parts guy even showed me the difference in price for my model and a model two years newer. The parts had doubled in price and it was obvious that Hyundai figured out how to make a profit!

For Hyundai to survive, the cars had to get better and I'm sure from the numerous cars of that brand on the road, improvements were made. My car was worth exactly what I paid for it.....zero! I just can't get over those little bastards screwing me on that horrible design and I'll never own another one!

Flash
    Venture Surplus ad

Top Bottom