• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    So after over a decade of futzing about, I finally found the one bullet for all occasions. In my never ending battle to never leave well enough alone, I have run through the gambit of brands, profiles and weights. Finally I am ready to settle, for at least one, of the dozen plus calibers I load for...
    The hands down winner(for the 5.56) is the 62gr Hornady SP bt bullet with cannelure for my AR platform guns. After yet another range trip of several sub moa groups, I have achieved reloading Nirvana. Paired with some tac rifle powder, this bullet is truly perfect for all my needs.
    Featuring a cannelure, we're off to a good start for my semi autos. As a soft point, it's all range friendly. At 62gr it's all twist rate compatible. Being a boat tail, it's easy to load and aerodynamic. Lastly at 9 cents a piece I feel like an idiot for not buying 10k of them.
    Overall I've got these grouping through several guns sub moa all day long. It's nice to put down range knowing it will not bounce off the dirt like an fmj bullet. Even better that it should expand nicely on a coyote if need be.
    So there it is gents, one tiny nugget from many years of reloading I wanted to share with y'all. I'd say don't go out and buy them all but if you can get your paws on some, they are reloading gold.
    Hurley's Gold

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Nice.
    I've settled on the Sierra game king 65 grain.
    It shoots like a match bullet and hits like a hammer.
    Ballistic coefficient is real decent too.
    A midrange load of CFE223 works well in AR15s and bolt guns alike.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    IMO that is a fine selection. I get that bullet to group right at 1.1 inches in a few rifles with a few groups sub moa. The Hornady edged it out for me partially because it costs half as much. The sierra is a well constructed bullet that I would be confident to shoot hogs or deer with but I feel like I'm killing my savings if I'm slapping steel with it.
    I also have had great results with their 63gr smp bullet too.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I’m using a Hornady too. My ARs like the 55g ballistic tip. Great groups and flat to boot. A couple years ago I was popping prairie dogs at 230 yds with that bullet. It shoots well in my 16” carbine, and is even flatter in the 20” bull barrel.

Feels good to figure out that go-to round.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    IMO that is a fine selection. I get that bullet to group right at 1.1 inches in a few rifles with a few groups sub moa. The Hornady edged it out for me partially because it costs half as much. The sierra is a well constructed bullet that I would be confident to shoot hogs or deer with but I feel like I'm killing my savings if I'm slapping steel with it.
    I also have had great results with their 63gr smp bullet too.

Try doing a ladder test with varying powder charges. I’m guessing you end up with at least one under MOA. I got one under 1/2”.

Top Bottom