Join TexasGunTalk

Old Woman's Forum Reads In

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by gdr_11, Jun 1, 2020.

1. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    OP, your woeful tale of the ‘Karens’ on Nextdoor struck home with me! My neighborhood is 100% urban now but we’ve still got the occasional coyote or bobcat sighting, copperheads, etc. And while it’s a pretty low crime area, there has been the rare vehicle break-in or something reported stolen from a yard or garage sorta thing.

I was an early adopter of that Ap and although I wasn’t an overly active participant, I could see the potential ‘neighborhood crime fighting’ value of it. So I more-or-less monitored it and occasionally added my helpful two cents. Once, I put out a really low key, subdued and very polite “feeler”, the jest of which was inquiring as to how many households had guns. Well... as you might have guessed, I was suddenly the “bad guy” who was pushing the button to start WWIII. Only one or two guys in a neighborhood of 350+ homes anonymously admitted to having a gun in the house. The vast majority where Karens (before that term had even been coined) proclaiming how they would never allow their husbands to bring a gun into the house! (LOL)

The final straw for me was: I thought it might be helpful to post a link to, what amounted to be the county police blotter. This included information and mugshot photos already on the Internet as posted by the county sheriff’s office. The Karens reacted like I was the main prison warden at Auschwitz! Typically guys (& gals) arrested for drugs or possession of “controlled substances”, break-ins, domestic abuse, thefts, etc., etc. “How dare I embarrass these individuals further!” From their mugshots, most of them looked like they couldn’t tell you what planet they were on!

Enough(!)... adios ‘Nextdoor’ people! Have a good life....

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Southpaw, pronstar, Axxe55 and 2 others like this.
  2. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yep, our Sheriff post on our Nextdoor Forum.
    Among the many things are people that have been arrested, with pictures and details.
    It raises quite the stink.

3. AustinBR

AustinBR BayouShooter TGT Supporter

Dec 6, 2017
    Here and there
    I have had the exact same experience. The app is useful to learn about missing cats, random wild animals, and people "speeding."

Most of the folks on it don't know a thing about actual security or how policing works.

If I lost my dog, it'd be helpful. But aside from that I don't see much value.

Axxe55, jordanmills and busykngt like this.
  4. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Reminds me of the lady comedian (Joan Rivers, I believe) to the ‘Nextdoor’ forum followers, “Talk amongst yourselves.”

To which I might add, they deserve each other. (One of the original quintessential “echo chambers”).

Axxe55 likes this.
  5. popsgarland

popsgarland MEMBER

Aug 24, 2011
    Garland, Texas
    I'm in Garland and also a member of our Nextdoor. My house backs up to a green belt. On the other side of the trees, I hear gun shots almost every night and some times right behind my fence. And my house bears witness to it. I had a round come through the wall at the back of my house and lodged in an inter wall.
    Three cops and the CSI came over but did not want the bullet. So It's still in my wall but the holes are patched.

Through Nextdoor, I have found out there is gun fire almost nightly in and around my neighborhood.

Axxe55 likes this.
  6. gdr_11

gdr_11 Well-Known

Aug 1, 2014
    well, my op was less about the Karens and more about the Nextdoor management who are headquartered in San Francisco and put their unsolicited banner and comments about Black Lives Matter on the front page of the forum.

As a rural Texan I dont need someone from San Francisco telling me whose life matters and whose doesnt

Axxe55, Rhino, Davetex and 2 others like this.
  7. Brains

Brains IQ: 47

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    We use FB groups in our 'hood, and they are a riot. We're pretty hard on the Karens tho.

seeker_two and Axxe55 like this.
  8. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    And what is wrong with that? Sounds like a good outcome to me.

9. AustinBR

AustinBR BayouShooter TGT Supporter

Dec 6, 2017
    Here and there
    I agree. Well trained dogs will only be awesome. Loose cats are good at keeping the rat population down...until they become fat and lazy and then they are good at scratching up cars and bothering the dogs.

10. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Same here, but funny coincidence, our worst Karen's name is actually Karyn.

Pops1955, busykngt and ZX9RCAM like this.