Gun Zone Deals

Oklahoma Officer Indicted for DOING HIS JOB.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This is some grade A bullshit. This officer was indicted for murder because he used lethal force against an active shooter. The short version of this that that the woman he killed had shot at her mother, had shot at the police, and had shot at some random guy who had nothing to do anything that was going on. She was very clearly a danger to police and the general public. As a result, Blackwell PD Lt. John Mitchell took appropriate action and used his AR to end the threat during a pursuit.

https://kfor.com/2019/11/25/blackwell-officer-indicted-in-may-officer-involved-shooting/

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oklahoma-police-officer-indicted-murder-shooting

This is what the POS DA had to say about it.

Stephens County District Attorney Jason Hicks says Mitchell shot and killed Michael Godsey “without justifiable or excusable cause” while “discharging approximately 60 rounds.”

I guess shooting at her mother, police, and random private citizens going about their business is not "justifiable" cause for using deadly force.

For those who need further proof that Lt. Mitchell's actions were legal and justified, a quick look at Tennessee vs Garner should clear up any confusion.

https://www.oyez.org/cases/1984/83-1035

The Fourth Amendment prohibits the use of deadly force unless it is necessary to prevent the escape of a fleeing felon and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of violence to the officer or the community.

The good news is that the town of Blackwell is rallying behind Lt. Michell. That DA will likely be out of a job soon.

https://ktul.com/news/local/community-rallies-behind-blackwell-officer

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Is this the incident released on video some time back, where the officer riding "shotgun" blasts away with an AR while the officer driving is firing through the windshield as well? Shots sprayed all over neighborhoods as the chase progresses?

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Where all the extra bullets went is an interesting story, but when LEO's can't perform their jobs but are instead prosecuted for doing the right thing in protecting the public, something is way wrong...

I wonder if this DA is one of those Soros funded pro-criminal attorneys that keep popping up all over the country?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Where all the extra bullets went is an interesting story, but when LEO's can't perform their jobs but are instead prosecuted for doing the right thing in protecting the public, something is way wrong...

More of an internal disciplinary matter (e.g., spraying the neighborhood) since no innocent people hurt. Should not be up for charges for shooting the criminal based on the limited info I have seen.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don’t know what the basis is for the charges.

However, if my house was damaged due to the poor discipline of the officer And my family were put in danger due extremely poor judgement, I would want some pretty damned harsh action taken.

The two are completely separate issues though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Holy shit, where did the other 59 rounds go?

He was trying to shoot a moving target through his own windshield while driving, getting shot at, and had to do this at night from what I assume was probably a pretty good distance away. Cut him a little slack. I'm pretty good with an AR, but I doubt that I could do that much better.

Is this the incident released on video some time back, where the officer riding "shotgun" blasts away with an AR while the officer driving is firing through the windshield as well? Shots sprayed all over neighborhoods as the chase progresses?

No, I'm pretty sure that was a different one. Blackwell Oklahoma is a small rural town with a population of just over 7,000. This shooting happened at around 3:00am. It ended near the intersection of 13th and Doolin Ave, which looks to be near the edge of town. It's also mostly commercial, which would have been mostly abandoned at 3am. Even the Walmart there closes at 10pm. It's not the best place to have to get into a rolling shootout, but it's FAR from the worst. Considering that she was shooting at (and in once case, struck) other vehicles, I don't think the police had many options. If they wait, then she has more time to shoot at other people. If they don't, then they have to get into a rolling shootout in town. It's a bad situation to be in, but they seemed to make the best of it. There were obviously no unintentional injuries otherwise the media would have been blasting that news from shore to shore.

WIvtj1C.jpg

dLd0Ygz.jpg

More of an internal disciplinary matter (e.g., spraying the neighborhood) since no innocent people hurt. Should not be up for charges for shooting the criminal based on the limited info I have seen.

An independent internal affairs review cleared the officer wrongdoing.

Attachments

• WIvtj1C.jpg
      WIvtj1C.jpg
      55.5 KB · Views: 373
    • dLd0Ygz.jpg
      dLd0Ygz.jpg
      188.3 KB · Views: 386
    Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    He was trying to shoot a moving target through his own windshield while driving, getting shot at, and had to do this at night from what I assume was probably a pretty good distance away. Cut him a little slack. I'm pretty good with an AR, but I doubt that I could do that much better.

No, I'm pretty sure that was a different one. Blackwell Oklahoma is a small rural town with a population of just over 7,000. This shooting happened at around 3:00am. It ended near the intersection of 13th and Doolin Ave, which looks to be near the edge of town. It's also mostly commercial, which would have been mostly abandoned at 3am. Even the Walmart there closes at 10pm. It's not the best place to have to get into a rolling shootout, but it's FAR from the worst. Considering that she was shooting at (and in once case, struck) other vehicles, I don't think the police had many options. If they wait, then she has more time to shoot at other people. If they don't, then they have to get into a rolling shootout in town. It's a bad situation to be in, but they seemed to make the best of it. There were obviously no unintentional injuries otherwise the media would have been blasting that news from shore to shore.

View attachment 193113

View attachment 193114

An independent internal affairs review cleared the officer wrongdoing.
    Thanks for the info. You are correct, I am remembering a different incident. The one I recalled was daylight.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    I don’t know what the basis is for the charges.

However, if my house was damaged due to the poor discipline of the officer And my family were put in danger due extremely poor judgement, I would want some pretty damned harsh action taken.

The two are completely separate issues though.

The reckless idiot who shot my wife faced no charges. So don’t hold your breath on justice if your house is shot. Of course it all depends on the DA.

Top Bottom