• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    It's really not very smart to live on the Gulf Coast and not prep for weather. Once you've been through a few hurricanes, you learn to respect the amount of damage they can do and the amount of time it takes to recover. A tornado can level a town in seconds and we have no shortage of those either. You could also include fires and such to a natural disaster category, the things you need to do are the same.

Basically, if you can camp out, you can survive a devastating storm. (Assuming it didn't drop a house on you or something.) It's good to have those basic supplies around. I remember reading after one of the big hurricanes that people who had to leave their houses felt lucky to find a hotel with rooms. The next day, FEMA showed up and took over the hotel as headquarters and threw all the folks out. Don't put yourself at someone else's mercy.

As far as the country falling apart, I don't worry too much about the ANTIFA and BLM folks. I think we have them massively outnumbered. Our own country, on the other hand, could prove to be more destructive than any force of nature. If they turn the IRS/ATF loose on gun owners, it could get very bad. Direct confrontation is one thing, but they can do sneaky crap like freeze your bank accounts to get at you. I refuse to make any threats - as they could be used against me - but I am willing to say that I would aim to be uncooperative.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I prep in a small way, extra for inclement weather issues and financial upheavals, such as a layoff. To date I have only kept about 3 months of extra supplies, this is about to change. I have ordered a bag sealer and I am going to began to store some bulk items in 5 gallon buckets. I will be packing smaller mylar bags of preps within the 5 gal buckets with gamma lids so I can open small amounts at a time, for example 1# of rice, pasta or different beans and other items .

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I mean, what specifically do you expect to occur?

There are obviously all kinds of possibilities. Some see signs of the end-times as detailed in the Bible. Others see economic disaster or massive natural disasters.

Just an off-the-top of my head list: (not in any particular order)

Economic collapse
    Planet X/Niburu/Wormwood passing by earth and bringing devastation
    Pole shift
    EMP event - solar or from HAND
    War/Civil war
    False flag event perpetrated by the global elite/Illuminati to initiate the new world order
    Pandemic
    Yellowstone Caldera blowing
    Asteroid Strike and nuclear winter, tsunamis, etc.
    Global warming/climate change (regardless of the cause) causing world grain crop failure (which some are reporting is already happening - as grain crop yields have been down over the last few years and are trending down further)
    Aliens (there are increasing sighting reports all over the world, etc.)

So, you can't deny that you have something in mind... after all, you're prepping. So why?

Since I'm asking, it's only fair that I say my "why" first...

In general, I've prepared for the need to 1) defend myself and any family I can gather and 2) survive a situation of privation -that is, shortages of food, etc. which could be caused by any number of things. We've all witnessed events like Katrina that have created situations like this - and it's really no stretch to think of any number of things that could cause a much wider-spread crisis. Further, we see the Antifa illegal immigration invasion, etc. news on a daily basis. Lastly, I am one that believes that some of the signs as detailed in Revelations have come to pass. I don't know the time frame that is involved - could be a few years or decades... but I do think we've seen the events as listed there - like the alignment of sun, moon and constellations as detailed in Rev 12.

OK, your turn. And again, if you're in this forum, posting about prepping, then saying that there's no reason or whatever is a cop-out IMHO.
    I have lived on two islands and two coastal cities where hurricanes were not IF but When, so I got into the self preservation mode early. I retired to the mountains in Colorado 32 miles from town, power outages and being snowed in were common every winter. Now that I am back in Texas, I am planning a tornado shelter. I like to shoot so I buy ammo when cheap, I am not a chicken little about gun control, however a rational thinking person can predict that ammo is going to be restricted and some form of reduced access to firearms is inevitable. Therefore I keep an assortment of guns and lots of ammo for them.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Lately, I've been getting calls from home security salesmen who aren't even real people. They use an automated machine that uses catch phrases in your response to dictate what it will say next until you agree to be put through to a live salesperson. If that isn't a perfect example of them already having pre-planned answers for everything, I don't know what is. My thing is - I don't even care about having a house alarm. I just want a home camera system with sensor that send notice to my phone. Kind of like the ring, but for then entire house.
    My wife answers those-"You know what? You know WHAT? Epstine didn't kill him self!"

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Living here in Indiana it's hard to imagine the devastation you folks in places like gulf coast Texas face from hurricanes.

Leadeye,

Unless you were there you cannot imagine the HORROR STORY that the "after the storm" days of CARLA was. = That was SIXTY YEARS AGO & I can still close my eyes & see how little was left of Cameron Parish where "THE SHE MONSTER" (as we, who lived through her, called Carla) came ashore. = Fwiw, a "call went out" allover AR, MS, OK & TX for all sorts of "needs", including any cloth items that were large enough to cover corpses with.
    (I was an EXPLORER SCOUT at the time & even our Explorer Post was one of many organizations that was "called up" for RESCUE, RECOVERY & RESTORATION service. - I spent most of my "State militia service" making sandwiches, brewing/serving coffee, preparing food & carrying messages to "the frontline R&R workers". = To paraphrase an old quote: "They also serve who peel potatoes".)

yours, satx

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    On the rare occasion we get a dusting of snow then you see devastation! Rainfall in Houston can cripple the city & is far more common.
    LOL! Remembering the year it snowed in San Antonio and the drivers were not doing well.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    LOL! Remembering the year it snowed in San Antonio and the drivers were not doing well.

I have driven in snow, ice and sleet many times, but in our area of Texas, we very, very seldom get any measure of snow that actually ever sticks, but when it does, I stay off the roads because of all the idiot drivers that don't know how to drive.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Standing by for the "Obama Zombie" Apocalypse! When the major cites are depleted of resources and the hoard take to the streets and overflow into the countryside! Caravans storming the borders for FREE stuff.
    Reminiscent of the scene in World War "Z" storming the walls of Jerusalem.

Reactions: gll

MarkTheNewf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Not
    I have driven in snow, ice and sleet many times, but in our area of Texas, we very, very seldom get any measure of snow that actually ever sticks, but when it does, I stay off the roads because of all the idiot drivers that don't know how to drive.

I got here from eastern Canada in '97 in the middle of December. Not long here, decided to snow/sleet/freeze. The whole city shut down. The boss had lent me the company truck (1/4 ton pickup). I figured it'd be a good chance to cruise around the loops and check out the city since it was pretty quiet. I got pulled over 3 times by the cops because it's scary on slippery stuff I guess. They just let me go on my way every time after seeing my Newfoundland drivers lisence. Later on I showed the boss how to slide sideways into a spot with the parking brake. Older Scottish guy so he friggin' loved it.

But I digress.....

Our household preps for hurricanes first. That'll take care of a lot of situations if you're ready for a CAT3. Other than that, I kinda worry about the rail tracks around me, to the north and south west. They're at most a mile or so away, so if something nasty derails and spills/ignites, then I'm not sure. I'm not worried about a golden horde situation. Actually, I'm on meds and if it gets that bad and I loose Rx refills, I'll be dead in maybe 4 months at best anyways.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I got here from eastern Canada in '97 in the middle of December. Not long here, decided to snow/sleet/freeze. The whole city shut down. The boss had lent me the company truck (1/4 ton pickup). I figured it'd be a good chance to cruise around the loops and check out the city since it was pretty quiet. I got pulled over 3 times by the cops because it's scary on slippery stuff I guess. They just let me go on my way every time after seeing my Newfoundland drivers lisence. Later on I showed the boss how to slide sideways into a spot with the parking brake. Older Scottish guy so he friggin' loved it.

But I digress.....

Our household preps for hurricanes first. That'll take care of a lot of situations if you're ready for a CAT3. Other than that, I kinda worry about the rail tracks around me, to the north and south west. They're at most a mile or so away, so if something nasty derails and spills/ignites, then I'm not sure. I'm not worried about a golden horde situation. Actually, I'm on meds and if it gets that bad and I loose Rx refills, I'll be dead in maybe 4 months at best anyways.

A lot of people dependent upon medications to essentially live, would be at risk if some sort of catastrophic event occurred and supplies of their medications were cut off for a lengthy period.

I suppose some could be stocked up and stored, but some might not be able to. This might be some good questions to ask a pharmacist about the long term storage of medications and to get some ideas of how to safely store them for long term, just in case.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    A lot of people dependent upon medications to essentially live, would be at risk if some sort of catastrophic event occurred and supplies of their medications were cut off for a lengthy period.

I suppose some could be stocked up and stored, but some might not be able to. This might be some good questions to ask a pharmacist about the long term storage of medications and to get some ideas of how to safely store them for long term, just in case.
    I have a mini-fridge (only), set at it's warmest, where I store my medication and supplement preps.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom