• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    US Power Pros in Magnolia just gave me a quote for a Briggs and Stratton 20kW generator. $10087 installed. Generac 22kW was $500 more and about 2x the lead time (Generac is at 10 months!).

This quote is about $2k less than the other quotes I received. Figures I’d pass on the details.
    I had a whole house Briggs when we lived up north. We maintained it well and it worked great. Made in Milwaukee, WI. At least it was 10 years ago. Highly recommend.
    DK Firearms

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Just last week I signed the contract to have a solar system and Tesla Powerwall installed. I don't want to go through another 5 day power outage and keep having to refuel the generator every 10 hours or so, and having to go get gas ever couple of days.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Just last week I signed the contract to have a solar system and Tesla Powerwall installed. I don't want to go through another 5 day power outage and keep having to refuel the generator every 10 hours or so, and having to go get gas ever couple of days.
    Start a new thread, tell us the pros/cons as it happen to you.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

I started it with the down payment. It was something like a 13.7 kw system with two power walls. 2 months later they got back to me and said that the prices were going up and I could back out if I wanted to, but if I signed on, they would include a 3rd power wall or they would pay for one of the two.

I was already at 72k for the system so I grit my teeth waiting to see how much the new price would be. Two weeks or so they got back and said it was gonna be 26k. I knew something was wrong so I started trying to email them, text my representative, and calling them. I could never a response outside of one generic response that answered nothing.

I tried to ask questions about power wall location because they can't be against a living space side wall. I finally gave up on them a month and half later only to have them call once we put a down payment on a new metal roof. They said they made a mistake and that it was probably a smaller shed they saw on google maps to do my revised quote.

The whole thing was a boondoggle, the worst communication ever, they didn't know what each other was doing. It just started to feel all wrong. We knew going in there would be hiccups, but it was a total cluster.

I hope your experience is better than ours was, we never got our revised number but I'm sure it was gonna be close to 100k anyhow. Diminishing return comes to mind. Look forward to hearing your experience.

I just realize, you said Tesla power wall, maybe not the roofing tiles. We were doing the Tesla roof tiles with the power wall.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I started it with the down payment. It was something like a 13.7 kw system with two power walls. 2 months later they got back to me and said that the prices were going up and I could back out if I wanted to, but if I signed on, they would include a 3rd power wall or they would pay for one of the two.

I was already at 72k for the system so I grit my teeth waiting to see how much the new price would be. Two weeks or so they got back and said it was gonna be 26k. I knew something was wrong so I started trying to email them, text my representative, and calling them. I could never a response outside of one generic response that answered nothing.

I tried to ask questions about power wall location because they can't be against a living space side wall. I finally gave up on them a month and half later only to have them call once we put a down payment on a new metal roof. They said they made a mistake and that it was probably a smaller shed they saw on google maps to do my revised quote.

The whole thing was a boondoggle, the worst communication ever, they didn't know what each other was doing. It just started to feel all wrong. We knew going in there would be hiccups, but it was a total cluster.

I hope your experience is better than ours was, we never got our revised number but I'm sure it was gonna be close to 100k anyhow. Diminishing return comes to mind. Look forward to hearing your experience.

I just realize, you said Tesla power wall, maybe not the roofing tiles. We were doing the Tesla roof tiles with the power wall.
    I would LOVE to be able to afford to get the Tesla solar tiles, but that's a lot more that we're already spending (>80k) for a regular system with 48 panels. Only thing tesla about the system will be the backup battery.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I'm prepping for the next arctic blast. Getting the heat set up in the water shed (electric and propane) , The pipes have heat tape, now to get the generators cranking.
    We made it thru the last time, managed to survive 22 hours with no electric, Will be prepared this time.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

Solar companies have displaced corner-lot used-car dealer scammers.

I’ve got a buddy who retired to Austin, had a solar company in CA…and another who still owns a solar company. Both are stand-up guys.

The stories they tell of what goes on in the industry…I want solar, they’ll review any bid I get to ensure it’s legit.

As it stands, we use 6,000 kWh/month in the summer. A guy from my church who does solar gave me a $100k quote. I didn’t even bother sending it to my buddies LOL…there’s just no way to justify that when power is only 10 cents per kWh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Solar companies have displaced corner-lot used-car dealer scammers.

I’ve got a buddy who retired to Austin, had a solar company in CA…and another who still owns a solar company. Both are stand-up guys.

The stories they tell of what goes on in the industry…I want solar, they’ll review any bid I get to ensure it’s legit.

As it stands, we use 6,000 kWh/month in the summer. A guy from my church who does solar gave me a $100k quote. I didn’t even bother sending it to my buddies LOL…there’s just no way to justify that when power is only 10 cents per kWh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yeah, 72k was only justifiable with a 15k rebate and replacing the roof with metal. It was a solar tile roof, so it was solar and roof replacement in the equation. When they started saying is was going higher than that, my thought was, it had to be higher than the 8k for the power wall they were offering up, otherwise they wouldn't offer it.

An external solar system with a power wall won't be anywhere near that, it was kind an all inclusive system that only makes sense if you're replacing your roof, and an added advantage if you're collecting water off of the glass solar tiles.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I would LOVE to be able to afford to get the Tesla solar tiles, but that's a lot more that we're already spending (>80k) for a regular system with 48 panels. Only thing tesla about the system will be the backup battery.
    Yikes, 80k for an external system. The power wall makes the whole thing. I have no interest in just supplemental energy, I want self sustaining energy.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Yikes, 80k for an external system. The power wall makes the whole thing. I have no interest in just supplemental energy, I want self sustaining energy.
    This system is for self reliance since it's output is 105% of our average yearly usage. Yes, there will be some times when we draw from the grid, but most of the time we'll be at a net zero draw.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    This system is for self reliance since it's output is 105% of our average yearly usage. Yes, there will be some times when we draw from the grid, but most of the time we'll be at a net zero draw.
    I guess my point was, when the power goes out and it's night time, you still have back up power. Saw too many people with solar this past February that were SOL because of no storage. It just defeats the whole purpose for me.

Having storage is self reliance IMO. Being net zero in usage is efficiency.

You're still further ahead than me, you can always add it if you wanted.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom