Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Lots of shot up air crews, that never returned home.
    Before the US entered the war, the casualty rate for English bomber crews was 100%. You flew until you were dead, too injured to continue, or shot down and captured.

Yet they never had a problem getting volunteers.

Those boys were brave, patriotic men's men of the sort we don't seem to breed anymore.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Before the US entered the war, the casualty rate for English bomber crews was 100%. You flew until you were dead, too injured to continue, or shot down and captured.

Those boys were brave, patriotic men's men of the sort we don't seem to breed anymore.
    Father-in-law was a nose gunner in a B-24. A B-24 was at Ellington one year, I took him to see it, they treated him like royalty.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

Ben them boys were mostly boys. I have pictures of my dad at barracks in New Mexico & Nevada where he looks like every bit of 17, and very much a kid. Then pictures of him partying it up much old & wiser but still very young.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben them boys were mostly boys. I have pictures of my dad...
    I surely understand. My dad was 17 or 18 when a "full bird colonel" (which is a term my dad used, even if I don't really know what it means) thanked him for volunteering for a mission. Actually, the words the officer used were "Thank you for giving your life for your country." I think my dad was the only one to survive that mission.

Yes, I referred to them as boys. But I also said they were men's men of the sort we don't seem to breed anymore.

I shudder to think of the situation we'd be in today if we had to rely on 17-year-old boys to be men, to make the choices and do the deeds our fathers did.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Father-in-law flew in the Little King.
    I had an uncle who was a glider pilot for D-day. I remember when he and my father were sitting in the front yard and the subject of WWII came up. I asked him what he had done in the war. I was no more than 12 at the time but I had studied WWII a great deal, like many boys of my time. So my uncle tells me what he did and I just blurted out "Wow! I didn't know you were that crazy!"

He just chuckled and said "We just did what we had to do."

Yeah. He flew in the vanguard of an invasion against a terrible foe with nothing to protect him but darkness and balsa wood.

Indeed, "Uncommon valor was a common virtue."

I won't live to see their like again.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Since there is a "lieutenant colonel" (rank insignia a silver maple leaf) and a "colonel" (rank insignia a silver eagle), it is obvious why he would be called a "full bird colonel". Both ranks were always informally addressed as "colonel", so "full bird" made the distinction.
    & BTW, LTC aka light colonel

Top Bottom