• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Yes, indeed. In the 70s I got to fire a Shrike anti-radiation missile at NWC China Lake. The protocol was to contact the range, they would start tracking our aircraft, and once we got a lock and fired the missile, they were supposed to shut down the radar so the missile would lose lock. Altho, they waited too long and the missile went right through the antenna and destroyed it, even tho it was inert. And fortunately, that facility was unmanned.
    There was a small antenna hanging on the wall of the ARM Lab I hoped I could find a picture of that had a missile/fins hole in it, but no joy.
    Found this youtube video you might enjoy, though. I got to China Lake in 1984. Lot of the guys in the video were legends at that time (and some were my bosses, too).

pbratton

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Yes, indeed. In the 70s I got to fire a Shrike anti-radiation missile at NWC China Lake. The protocol was to contact the range, they would start tracking our aircraft, and once we got a lock and fired the missile, they were supposed to shut down the radar so the missile would lose lock. Altho, they waited too long and the missile went right through the antenna and destroyed it, even tho it was inert. And fortunately, that facility was unmanned.

The Human Factor will get you everytime...

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    US Navy F-35C Lightning II firing an AIM-9X during inverted flight. Patuxent River Naval Base, MD. 2017

74278ee15f1f25c343a3196698524c6c.jpg

Got to visit NAS JRB and walk through a sliver of the assembly line years back when I had an interview for Lockheed for an position related to the F35. Saw a few of them parked in the hangers alongside F16’s on the way to the parking lot, and saw a fuselage in the build process hanging. They had some other parts covered with a black curtain lol. Pretty neat.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    You know what really chaps my azz about this picture?
    We can’t get that truck here in the U.S.
    Goddamm commies in gov’t will not allow it.

There are some really tough and economical offerings by the manufacturers "just beyond our borders". Sigh
    We're paying overpriced premiums for "DOT and NHSA" approvals.
    Idiots get a license and drive regardless.
    Insurance companies suck sweaty balls.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    There are some really tough and economical offerings by the manufacturers "just beyond our borders". Sigh
    We're paying overpriced premiums for "DOT and NHSA" approvals.
    Idiots get a license and drive regardless.
    Insurance companies suck sweaty balls.

Yep.
    Terrorists can buy them all day long but we cannot.

Coonan357

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Just below the panhandle of Texas
    Remember when the Ford pickup was sold off by a Houston business and it turned up mounting a twin 23mm cannon in an Isis column? It still had the business name, address, and phone number on it.
    Yep. If I remember correctly, the pickup had been owned by a small businessman, a plumber. He sold it to a reselling business and was told that the information would be removed from the truck before it was resold. He said he received quite a few death threats when the pictures went public.

Top Bottom