Official Cool Picture Thread.

oohrah

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jul 24, 2013
Heart O' Texas
This was Uncle's B-24 "Dinah Might" after it had made a crash landing in Manduria Italy. However, he had already rotated home after completing his 25 missions.

dinahmight3.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
Ben them boys were mostly boys. I have pictures of my dad...
I surely understand. My dad was 17 or 18 when a "full bird colonel" (which is a term my dad used, even if I don't really know what it means) thanked him for volunteering for a mission. Actually, the words the officer used were "Thank you for giving your life for your country." I think my dad was the only one to survive that mission.

Yes, I referred to them as boys. But I also said they were men's men of the sort we don't seem to breed anymore.

I shudder to think of the situation we'd be in today if we had to rely on 17-year-old boys to be men, to make the choices and do the deeds our fathers did.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
Father-in-law flew in the Little King.
I had an uncle who was a glider pilot for D-day. I remember when he and my father were sitting in the front yard and the subject of WWII came up. I asked him what he had done in the war. I was no more than 12 at the time but I had studied WWII a great deal, like many boys of my time. So my uncle tells me what he did and I just blurted out "Wow! I didn't know you were that crazy!"

He just chuckled and said "We just did what we had to do."

Yeah. He flew in the vanguard of an invasion against a terrible foe with nothing to protect him but darkness and balsa wood.

Indeed, "Uncommon valor was a common virtue."

I won't live to see their like again.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 23, 2014
Liberty Hill
Since there is a "lieutenant colonel" (rank insignia a silver maple leaf) and a "colonel" (rank insignia a silver eagle), it is obvious why he would be called a "full bird colonel". Both ranks were always informally addressed as "colonel", so "full bird" made the distinction.
& BTW, LTC aka light colonel

Top Bottom