Venture Surplus ad

Observations from Down Range - What does it feel like?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm glad you are doing better Mr. Ross, and I hope for a speedy recovery. People, we have to be OCD about safety. Repetition, repetition, repetition! Never become complacent, chamber check as often as possible, constantly reassess what you are doing and remain aware of your surroundings. Most of the unsafe behavior I see on the range is due to complacency. Safety is paramount and always supersedes people's feelings. If someone is unsafe and risking serious injury or death to themselves or others by their behavior, be loud and get in their face so that it stops immediately. They may be embarrassed, they may think you are a jerk, but who cares as long as no one gets hurt or killed.

Oh yeah, and last but not least, when doing anything with firearms, always keep a blow out kit and good med kit nearby, and understand how to use everything in it. There are cheap trauma classes out there that could make all the difference between life and death, and/or losing a limb. Most average med kits/"emergency" kits are not really sufficient to deal with gunshot trauma, so buy something specifically for that.
    Target Sports

Saxthorpe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Houston TX
    Oh yeah, and last but not least, when doing anything with firearms, always keep a blow out kit and good med kit nearby, and understand how to use everything in it. There are cheap trauma classes out there that could make all the difference between life and death, and/or losing a limb. Most average med kits/"emergency" kits are not really sufficient to deal with gunshot trauma, so buy something specifically for that.

Sig Fiend - you are absolutely right! The only reason I survived that day is there were several EMT experienced folks at the range who knew what to do and had battlefield dressings in their cars, plus the range owner had a real tourniquet in his office that stopped the arterial hemorrhage in my left leg. As it was, i required 15 units of blood at the trauma center and would not have made it to there without correct emergency care at the range. Safety comes first, and that includes knowing what to do when everything else goes to hell...

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Frankly, I hate Range NAZI's. They are normally ignorant, morons with delusions of power.

they will tell do things that prove their ignorance such as complaining that I am smoking my cigar while shooting my rifle. Or they will tell me that my AR15 is going to get all of their FUD guns taken away, or they freak out when I mount my silencer and tell me that silencers are illegal and my Short barrelled rifles are illegal or god forbid that I have an M-16 that it is illegal. Frankly,I hate range NAZIs. They do nothing to make the range more safe.

Now, I do appreciate knowlegable people who will speak up and stop unsafe range practices and I hope that I fall into that catagory.

wuff4u

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I think this must be every responsible gun owners nightmare. To shoot someone you don't intend to shoot.
    I also engage in the dangerous sport of Mountian/Rock climbing. We rely on our partners to keep us safe. We do checks and double checks. And we look out for other climbers too!
    Safety is a team responsibility. And like the folks say listen to and obey the Range master, He is on your team for safety. And also look out for your fellow shooters.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    After reading this, my wife has a better understanding of why I prefer to go out into the BLM land near our home in Albuquerque when we're there, rather than to one of the "organized" ranges where there are every kind of shooter imaginable on the line. At least when we're out in "the wilderness" as she calls it there's little chance of someone careless creating a hazard.

Best wishes on your recovery.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Frankly, I hate Range NAZI's. They are normally ignorant, morons with delusions of power.

they will tell do things that prove their ignorance such as complaining that I am smoking my cigar while shooting my rifle. Or they will tell me that my AR15 is going to get all of their FUD guns taken away, or they freak out when I mount my silencer and tell me that silencers are illegal and my Short barrelled rifles are illegal or god forbid that I have an M-16 that it is illegal. Frankly,I hate range NAZIs. They do nothing to make the range more safe.

Now, I do appreciate knowlegable people who will speak up and stop unsafe range practices and I hope that I fall into that catagory.

The unfortunate thing is many people don't understand what an actual range Nazi is (which you described well). People think because you get on their case due to their safety violations, and just because you are trying to keep it a safe atmosphere, that you are a range Nazi. I think the average person has no idea just how close to death they really come when visiting a public shooting range.

Top Bottom