DK Firearms

Observations from a recent trip to California.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Preface,
    I've been to California quite a few times in the last 40 odd years. SF, LA, Monterey/Carmel, San Diego, Tahoe. Those trips were mostly in the late 80s and through the 90s. From where we sit, it would seem that the whole state has gone to hell. Maybe, maybe not. Thus, I present my Thanksgiving trip breakdown.

Wednesday 11/27.
    We drove from Abilene to DFW airport. Busiest travel day of the year. Right?
    Honestly, traffic was light to medium. Flowed like water over a cliff. Got to the terminal a bit too early. Flight was non eventful. Full plane (of course) but smooth and pretty stress free. Landed in Palm Springs and rented a car. Covered the 40ish miles to La Quinta, CA in decent time. Now we're really in Commie land. Heh.

Thanksgiving day we just did the usual with the kids. (Daughter and SIL from Burbank and daughter from Vancouver, BC). Cussed and laughed at an unfamiliar oven in the rental. Made a decent meal in spit of our selves. Basically just did the whole holiday thing.

11/29. Black Friday.
    We drove from La Quinta to Downtown Palm Springs and spent the day. Yep, I prepared myself for the worst. Totally unnecessary. No freak show. No shit on the sidewalks. Traffic was better than anything near DFW or Austin. Good gosh that landscape is beautiful. Really didn't see anything political besides a "protest group" on one street corner. Something about hugging trees or whatever. Never felt unsafe.
    Closest comparison I can give is San Antonio river walk in the early 90s. (Which we've sworn off since). Mexican food equaled Mi Tierra. (Flame suit on).
    Gays? Lesbians? Others? As much as it pains me to say it, Texas has as many, or more walking around minding their own business.
    Nutshell, Palm Springs is a place worth visiting. (Yeah, I know the schools had a bomb threat today. Abilene has their moments too)

Saturday. Me and momma left the kids and went up the mountain to Pinyon. South of Indian Wells. Absolutely gorgeous. Scenery, short hikes here and there. Lunch at a hole in the wall where everyone was friendly. Real folks.

In summary. Gun laws and taxes can make life seem like hell in the middle of a desert paradise. The "alternative lifestyle" people are everywhere.
    California has some of America's most beautiful countryside. Priority #1. We need to keep Texas conservative. Priority #2. Helping California turn back to conservative values will help all of us in the long run. Pray for our brothers in arms out there. Support them if you can.
    Like Texas, it's the large city bullshit that's hurting them and U.S.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    20191201_141007.jpg
    20191201_144513.jpg
    20191130_141146.jpg
    20191130_143304.jpg

Attachments

• 20191201_141007.jpg
      20191201_141007.jpg
      1.9 MB · Views: 535
    • 20191201_144513.jpg
      20191201_144513.jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 451
    • 20191130_141146.jpg
      20191130_141146.jpg
      1.8 MB · Views: 496
    • 20191130_143304.jpg
      20191130_143304.jpg
      2.4 MB · Views: 590

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    California is definitely a beautiful state, with a reputation well earned (and ruined) by its big city lunatics. Much like many big cities I suppose, but California is the way overboard and vocal "hold my soy latte" version.

I worked for a California company (from home in Texas) some 12 years back, and traveled there roughly once a quarter. I will never forget the level of backstabbing and grandstanding among coworkers, it was really uncomfortable for a guy who was raised to do right by people.

tl;dr -- The true Conservatives of this nation really need to help turn California back to red.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    In my travels around the world I would say the same thing. Beautiful scenery everywhere, the politics of people is the problem.
    The politics of the politicians is the problem. I have been to many places around the world too. It's generally not the people that is a problem but the politicians and government employees that think they know what is best for the rest of us instead of just doing the job they get paid to do.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Worked in Los Angelos 20 years ago on our usual few weeks there then gone style.

Biggest thing I remember was waiting in line at a gas station and the usual "$20 on pump 5" person would bypass the line, hand their money over, and walk right back out. Every single time. I remember thinking wtf is this crap? That was their normal attitude. Guess they don't have to wait their turn like the rest of us.

I knew then that that behavior was part of the problem with that state and I didn't want to go there again.

But like most things we usually only hear about the worst of the problems and tend to believe that that is how the whole state is.

It's not really like that everywhere in all of California. There are lots of good conservative people there once you get out of the big cities.

It is a beautiful state with wonderful weather but I still don't care if I ever go back.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    CA libs live in coastal population centers.
    When you go inland, it skews more conservative and sane.

Palm Springs is in Riverside County.
    You can get a CCW permit, it just takes two years.

Palm Springs and the CA deserts are amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I lived in N. California for 30 years. Get away fro SF, Silicon Valley and people are normal. Of course the taxation and gun laws are ridiculous. Stay away from the big cities and things are mostly fine. Some of the best scenery you can find. I lived near Travis Air Force Base in Vacaville. The nice part was in 2 hours I could be at the beach, in the mountains or visit a winery.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond

That's the crux of it. The BS flows down from Sacramento and affects everywhere.

Thank you for this. There are some things I still love about California. It's where I grew up so it's only natural. Unfortunately it's tainted by the stain of unrelenting, rampant leftism that makes living there untenable.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I spent 53 years in Southern California. It’s a beautiful state and the Deserts are awesome. Northern California is the place to be or go if you must. Other than that it’s a Libtard shithole.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

That applies to the entire US on a large scale. And is why "they" hate the Electoral College so much. Because the huge coastal cities and the few islands of insanity should totally dictate how the majority of Americans should live :/

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    San Diego native here; moved out in 2015. I have been living outside of Dallas now for 1 year. Big city notwithstanding, the people I encounter here in DFW by and large remind me of the people in San Diego during the 80's: respect is present unless reason given to lose it; sense of community both residential and simply being human is a generally shared value; cultural differences are enjoyed across the people, not reasons to isolate or reasons to "keep out".

My experience was that these generalized ideals were lost on the 90's and have eroded entirely since. Has been exceptionally refreshing (praise God!!) to feel like I've returned closer to that 80's gente here in DFW.

Vaquero, 100% brother, we need to keep Texas conservative and not forget about others in Cali and elsewhere... elsewhere is still America fir which many have and continue to sacrifice so we can live the lives we do! Thanks for starting this conversation.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Vaq, I have heard Indian Wells is gorgeous. Had planned to go earlier this year, but had a couple distractions. Maybe next year.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Vaquero, given the time and money, I could tour you through California for a year and show you sights, people and landscape that would make you wonder why anyone would ever leave there.

The issue, of course, is that 10% of the state's acreage drives the government bus and with it the lunacy of an anti Christian, anti Constitution, anti capitalist and anti gun center of their universe. The rest of the state remains pretty much the same although many areas have given up a sense of independence in order to stuff themselves on the government handouts. Otherwise, most folks outside of the four major urban areas are good folks with strong values who endure in spite of their circumstances.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Did you step in any human feces or on any discarded needles?
    1990 in the Mojave Desert? surely you jest with your question.

We did find a cool abandoned gold mine up in the high desert off base. we turned it into a personal shooting range. but alas.......no needles and no hobo shit

BTW.....I had/have family in LA and a friend in SF.........been there/ done that.......hated both of those places......

that is why I will live and die in Texas

Last edited:
    Top Bottom