• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netstorm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Texas
    "I don't believe that people should be able to own guns."

Barak Obama, as quoted to John R. Lott, Jr., PhD, while both were working at the University of Chicago Law School in 1996. From the book "Debacle", by Grover G. Norquist and John R Lott, Jr., John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: Publisher

"I just want you to know that we are working on it. We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar."

Barak Obama to Sarah Brady regarding gun control. Jason Horowitz, Washington Post, April 11th, 2011

"I believe in keeping guns out of our inner cities, and that our leaders must say so in the face of the gun manufacturers' lobby."

From "The Audacity of Hope" by Barack Obama, p.215 Oct 1, 2006

"This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility."

Barak Obama to Dmitri Medvedev, March 26, 2012

"Let’s be honest. Mr. Keyes does not believe in common gun control measures like the assault weapons bill. Mr. Keyes does not believe in any limits from what I can tell with respect to the possession of guns, including assault weapons that have only one purpose, to kill people. I think it is a scandal that this president did not authorize a renewal of the assault weapons ban."

Source: Illinois Senate Debate #3: Barack Obama vs. Alan Keyes , Oct 21, 2004

Q: Is the D.C. law prohibiting ownership of handguns consistent with an individual’s right to bear arms?

A: "As a general principle, I believe that the Constitution confers an individual right to bear arms. But just because you have an individual right does not mean that the state or local government can’t constrain the exercise of that right, in the same way that we have a right to private property but local governments can establish zoning ordinances that determine how you can use it."

Q: But do you still favor the registration & licensing of guns?

A: "I think we can provide common-sense approaches to the issue of illegal guns that are ending up on the streets. We can make sure that criminals don’t have guns in their hands. We can make certain that those who are mentally deranged are not getting a hold of handguns. We can trace guns that have been used in crimes to unscrupulous gun dealers that may be selling to straw purchasers and dumping them on the streets."

Source: 2008 Philadelphia primary debate, on eve of PA primary , Apr 16, 2008

Q. Do you support state legislation to:
    a. ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.
    b. ban assault weapons? Yes.
    c. mandatory waiting periods and background checks? Yes.

Source: FactCheck.org analysis of 2008 Philadelphia primary debate , Apr 16, 2008

"I think we have two conflicting traditions in this country. I think it’s important for us to recognize that we’ve got a tradition of handgun ownership and gun ownership generally. And a lot of law-abiding citizens use it for hunting, for sportsmanship, and for protecting their families. We also have a violence on the streets that is the result of illegal handgun usage. And so I think there is nothing wrong with a community saying we are going to take those illegal handguns off the streets. And cracking down on the various loopholes that exist in terms of background checks for children, the mentally ill. We can have reasonable, thoughtful gun control measure that I think respect the Second Amendment and people’s traditions."

Source: 2008 Politico pre-Potomac Primary interview , Feb 11, 2008

"I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry."

Source: From Promise to Power, by David Mendell, p.250-251 , Aug 14, 2007

Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:

Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.

Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.

Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.

Source: 1998 IL State Legislative National Political Awareness Test , Jul 2, 1998

"I know that the NRA believes people should be unimpeded and unregulated on gun ownership. I disagree. I do not object to the lawful use and ownership of firearms, but I do think it is entirely appropriate for the state to monitor it. Too many of these guns end up in the hands of criminals even though they were originally purchased by people who did not have a felony. I'll continue to be in favor of handgun law registration requirements and licensing requirements for training."

Chicago Defender, 7/5/01

"We're eliminating 17 specific assault weapons. There is no reason why anybody should need an assault weapon to protect themselves or their family. We're limiting handgun sales to one a month. We're calling for handgun registration. It's very hard right now to track whether or not a felon has turned in his weapons or if he has a FOID card because we don't know how many weapons he has purchased."

Chicago Defender, 2/20/01

"I am not in favor of concealed weapons. I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during) altercations."

Pittsburg Tribune-Review (April 2, 2008)

"National legislation will prevent other states' flawed concealed-weapons laws from threatening the safety of Illinois residents."

Chicago Tribune, February 20, 2004

Voted against a 2005 law prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers stemming from acts committed by others using their products. Supports instant criminal background checks on people purchasing guns and believes law should apply to gun sales at gun shows. Calls for permanently reinstating assault weapons ban. Voted for 2005 amendment placing restrictions on rifle ammunition that is "designed or marketed" to be armor-piercing. Supports making guns childproof and voted for 2005 child safety lock amendment. Would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which allows the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to share data on history of sales and transfers of firearms used in crimes only with federal agencies for national security purposes, or prosecutors needing it for an ongoing criminal investigation or prosecution. Regarding the Supreme Court case District of Columbia v. Heller, Obama did not sign a friend-of-the-court brief that urged the Supreme Court to overturn the District of Columbia gun ban. At a debate, when asked about case, Obama said he believes "that the Constitution confers an individual right to bear arms. But just because you have an individual right does not mean that the state or local government can't constrain the exercise of that right." Voted for 2006 amendment prohibiting confiscation of firearms from private citizens, particularly during times of crisis or emergency.

CNNPolitics.com

The campaign of Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama said that he "believes that we can recognize and respect the rights of law-abiding gun owners and the right of local communities to enact common sense laws to combat violence and save lives. Obama believes the D.C. handgun law is constitutional."

James Oliphant and Michael J. Higgins, "Court To Hear Gun Case," Chicago Tribune, 11/20/07

"We need to make the expired Assault Weapon ban permanent. We need to express our collective anger through collective action."

Barak Obama - Speech 07/15/07 (Associated Press)

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons. I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum."

Attorney General Eric Holder - "Obama To Seek New Assault Weapons Ban", Jason Ryan, ABC News, 02/25/09

"While a complete ban on handguns is not politically practicable, I believe reasonable restrictions on the sale and possession of handguns are necessary to protect the public safety. In the Illinois Senate last year, I supported a package of bills to limit individual Illinoisans to purchasing one handgun a month; require all promoters and sellers at firearms shows to carry a state license; allow civil liability for death or injuries caused by handguns; and require FOID applicants to apply in person. I would support similar efforts at the federal level, including retaining the Brady Law."

Source: 2003 Independent Voters of Illinois – Independent Precinct Organization Questionnaire

“Even if I want to take them away, I don’t have the votes in Congress,’’

Source: ‘I’m Not Going to Take Your Guns Away’ Wall Street Journal September 5, 2008

"I would support banning the sale of ammunition for assault weapons and limiting the sale of ammunition for handguns."

Source: 2003 Independent Voters of Illinois – Independent Precinct Organization Questionnaire

“Thus, while I may favor common-sense gun control laws, that doesn’t keep me from reaching out to NRA members who are worried about their lack of health insurance.”

Source: The Black CoMMentator

“Obama is proposing to make it a felony for a gun owner whose firearm was stolen from his residence which causes harm to another person if that weapon was not securely stored in that home.

He’s proposing restricting gun purchases to one weapon a month and banning the sale of firearms at gun shows except for “antique” weapons. Obama is also proposing increasing the licensing fee to obtain a federal firearms license.

He’s proposing that all federally licensed gun dealers sell firearms in a storefront and not from their homes while banning their business from being within five miles of a school or a park. He’s also banning the sale of ‘junk” handguns like the popular Saturday Night Specials.”

Source: Chicago Defender, Dec. 13, 1999

And when there is an extraordinarily heartbreaking tragedy like the one we saw, there’s always an outcry immediately after for action. And there’s talk of new reforms, and there’s talk of new legislation. And too often, those efforts are defeated by politics and by lobbying and eventually by the pull of our collective attention elsewhere.

But even though we’ve taken these actions, they’re not enough. Other steps to reduce violence have been met with opposition in Congress. This has been true for some time — particularly when it touches on the issues of guns. And I, like most Americans, believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual the right to bear arms. And we recognize the traditions of gun ownership that passed on from generation to generation -– that hunting and shooting are part of a cherished national heritage.

But I also believe that a lot of gun owners would agree that AK-47s belong in the hands of soldiers, not in the hands of criminals — that they belong on the battlefield of war, not on the streets of our cities. I believe the majority of gun owners would agree that we should do everything possible to prevent criminals and fugitives from purchasing weapons; that we should check someone’s criminal record before they can check out a gun seller; that a mentally unbalanced individual should not be able to get his hands on a gun so easily. These steps shouldn’t be controversial. They should be common sense.

Source: NATIONAL URBAN LEAGUE CONVENTION - Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, New Orleans, Louisiana - July 25, 2012, 7:00 P.M. CDT

Source for this list is: Obama Quotes
    Texas SOT

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Nice collection. One that's missing is Obama's former tenure on the board of the Joyce Foundation, a very anti-gun organization. Barack Obama | 2008 Presidential Candidates | washingtonpost.com But I guess that's not really a quote...

I hate that idea to ban gun stores within five miles of parks and schools. It does two things: it makes gun stores seem "dirty" or unsafe somehow, and it makes it so that gun stores can't exist pretty much anywhere in a metro area.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Nice post.

The recurring theme is that he claims to want to keep criminals and the mentally unstable from getting guns but to do so will require that law abiding citizens pay the price.

F**K BHO!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Great post and you listed sources! Thumbs up!

re Obama.......It's time for him to go home to the Chicago sewer he crawled out of.

Flash

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Keep guns out of inner cities--but also problem of morality

I believe in keeping guns out of our inner cities, and that our leaders must say so in the face of the gun manfuacturer’s lobby. But I also believe that when a gangbanger shoots indiscriminately into a crowd because he feels someone disrespected him, we have a problem of morality. Not only do ew need to punish thatman for his crime, but we need to acknowledge that there’s a hole in his heart, one that government programs alone may not be able to repair.
    Source: The Audacity of Hope, by Barack Obama, p.215 , Oct 1, 2006

WTH. Govment don't fix evathang?

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Damn OP!!! My first thought on clicking on this thread was "gonna be a list of a bunch of un-cited junk" and you cited every one!

That kind of diligence is very much appreciated. Makes the argument much more effective.

Thanks

derby

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Austin
    Damn OP!!! My first thought on clicking on this thread was "gonna be a list of a bunch of un-cited junk" and you cited every one!

That kind of diligence is very much appreciated. Makes the argument much more effective.

Thanks

they're cited, but at least one (the "This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility." conversation with medvedev) was not in reference to gun control at all.

President Obama Asks Medvedev for ‘Space’ on Missile Defense — ‘After My Election I Have More Flexibility’ - ABC News

how many of the others are incorrect?

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    they're cited, but at least one (the "This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility." conversation with medvedev) was not in reference to gun control at all.

Nope, but the context is plain.
    "Wait until I'm not afraid of losing and see what I can pull off unhindered"

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

President Obama Asks Medvedev for ‘Space’ on Missile Defense — ‘After My Election I Have More Flexibility’ - ABC News

Sounds like it says plenty about him, even of it's not in the context of gun control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi

I sat there and thought the same thing for a second, BUT, if he's telling people that about other things, why would guns be any different...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Waxahachie
    "Let’s be honest. Mr. Keyes does not believe in common gun control measures like the assault weapons bill. Mr. Keyes does not believe in any limits from what I can tell with respect to the possession of guns, including assault weapons that have only one purpose, to kill people. I think it is a scandal that this president did not authorize a renewal of the assault weapons ban."

Source: Illinois Senate Debate #3: Barack Obama vs. Alan Keyes , Oct 21, 2004
    this is crazy

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    ...that have only one purpose, to kill people.

Why do so many people say "Kill people" like it's always a bad thing? And I mean that seriously. Walk into a room to find your daughter being raped at knife-point by a drugged-out psychotic freak and tell me killing people is always a bad thing.

Top Bottom