• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I did and saw that some states ban businesses from not taking cash but there are only a few. I did some additional looking and found that Texas is not one of them.
    IIRC the particulars are that they must accept cash for a debt unless other payment arrangements were made as a condition to the transaction. That is, there's nothing stopping a grocery store from saying they don't accept cash at the register and refusing to accept it, as you have no debt to them. But paying for a meal after having eaten seems like a debt and I've heard (remember about things you hear on the internet) that if they won't accept cash then the debt is discharged. An exception to that would be if they had a sign at the door or something that says no cache accepted, you saw it, and you continued with incurring the debt.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    What's your take on businesses that don't accept cash?

I think it's silly. Cash is still a perfectly acceptable form of payment in this country. Especially since there are no processing fees to take cash and payment processors do go down at times.

That said, I kind of understand why some businesses chose not to. I rarely carry cash myself and many are like me in that regard. It does remove the need to handle cash which helps prevent theft and the need to transport it.

Squishy answer on my part but there you have it. :)

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Thanks folks.

I’m definitely not handing off either card to anyone anymore.

If they give me crap about it I’ll tell them the last time I was here my card was hacked. I’m so sorry to disrupt their business with my payment practices but I won’t be darkening their doorway ever again!
    The cards per se are not that bad. The chips are nearly impossible to copy. In practical terms, it is pretty safe to hand that off to someone else. The problem is that they almost all have a magnetic stripe, which can be read, stored, written to another card, and used elsewhere at leisure. And the numbers/info on the card can be read and copied. If you could get one with just the chip, no numbers and no magstripe, it would be relatively fine to hand off (at least, if they made fraudulent charges, they would have to make them with the card at that time).

There are some more advanced attacks, especially around the transaction between the card reader and the processor (apparently the amount isn't signed, so you can get a challenge/response returned and specify an outrageous amount a few minutes later).

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The cards per se are not that bad. The chips are nearly impossible to copy. In practical terms, it is pretty safe to hand that off to someone else. The problem is that they almost all have a magnetic stripe, which can be read, stored, written to another card, and used elsewhere at leisure. And the numbers/info on the card can be read and copied. If you could get one with just the chip, no numbers and no magstripe, it would be relatively fine to hand off (at least, if they made fraudulent charges, they would have to make them with the card at that time).

There are some more advanced attacks, especially around the transaction between the card reader and the processor (apparently the amount isn't signed, so you can get a challenge/response returned and specify an outrageous amount a few minutes later).
    It'd have been better if we implemented PIN + chip/swipe for all transactions like everywhere else in the world. Honestly though, the whole network needs a rip and replace. You're right, there really is no security once you get past the front panel.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    It'd have been better if we implemented PIN + chip/swipe for all transactions like everywhere else in the world. Honestly though, the whole network needs a rip and replace. You're right, there really is no security once you get past the front panel.
    Chip+PIN would make me fairly satisfied for some time. Handheld card readers that are brought to restaurant tables would help a lot too (even if they weren't necessitated by the chip+PIN).

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Every bill in my wallet states..............
    "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"

Kinda like the 2A "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

What part needs clarification???

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Avvid,

I use 'a' cc for major purchases too.

My previous post was referring to a cash payment for a meal.

Say the meal is $20.00/$30.00 and the business states they don't take cash and I tell them that's all I have...what then?

Guess I get a 'free' meal...?

Or, let them call the cops...I'd wait for their arrival.

It'd be great to get their perspective on this nonsense.

I'm not the one being unreasonable........I'm willing to pay...with cash.
    My wife and I went into a furniture store in Katy. We had our eyes on several things. We picked them out and were told they only accept cash, no checks or credit cards. Cash or Debit Card. Well, we don't have a debit card. And, they still have their furniture. Can you imagine a store that expects purchases to be in the $1000 and higher range not taking checks or credit cards?

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Every bill in my wallet states..............
    "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"

Kinda like the 2A "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

What part needs clarification???
    Lets say you have a rifle you wish to dispose of. It's a nice rifle, and I would really like to have it. You are only willing to trade this rifle for ammunition. Should I be allowed to force you to accept cash for your goods?
    It is, after all, the ONLY legal tender for ALL DEBTS public and private.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    SQLG,

Right - Mass and NJ (weird eh, leftists states doing imo the right thing) don't allow bans and quite a number of big cities don't allow it.

What's your take on businesses that don't accept cash?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, is it out of concern for security or employee theft or .....?

I know this, I would not give my business to a 'no cash payment' outfit.

Ain't Murican...........

I'm ok with it. fast food places in Legacy West in Plano do that. The whole place is cash free. No cash drawer to reconcile, no employees to get fired over taking cash.

I usually pay with cash for out to eat, but the food is good there, so I go with the flow. Plus I like to listen to Max Stalling when he plays there.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Here you go. From the treasury. Basically they say the law is what you see as status quo.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Top Bottom