• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Several years ago when money was very tight in my family, I had a retailer accidentally add a zero to the transaction. Unfortunately, I had used my debit card. The retailer immediately realized his mistake and tried to reverse the charges.

While the money immediately left my account, it took several days for the refund to be put back into my account. I contacted the bank and they were not helpful at all. We were going through a hard time then, so those days without access to our money were tough.

Now, I use credit cards. I travel all across the country for work and have my card number stolen at least once per year. With credit cards, it’s no big deal. They stop the fraudulent charges and next day me a new card.

I think it’s a really bad idea to use debit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sorry that happened to you but it isnt exactly fraud and has no relevance to the discussion of fraud and debit cards.

It is however a good reminder of understanding the limits of charge backs.
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    I think it’s a really bad idea to use debit cards.
    My wife and I have a debt card account and a savings account. We can get online and conveniently transfer money between the two accounts. I only have a modest amount in my debit account in case someone jacks my number. It's a huge risk to keep all your money in one account, especially using a debit account as a savings. Some of these cyber hackers who target credit card accounts are very sophisticated.

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    I was bit for 1400 in Vegas. I’ve never even been to Vegas. Being a smaller bank, my money was tied up for about 2 weeks and they gave me a hard time about the charge asking me to prove it was fraudulent. After a long back and forth and showing them transactions from my CC on the day the fraud occurred they put it back in my account. I now have no money at that bank. I’m now CC only. I don’t use my debit card. In fact it’s not even in my wallet anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Thanks folks.

I’m definitely not handing off either card to anyone anymore.

If they give me crap about it I’ll tell them the last time I was here my card was hacked. I’m so sorry to disrupt their business with my payment practices but I won’t be darkening their doorway ever again!

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I don't even bother caring about it anymore. I tend to have a card compromise once every two years at least. If it's not unauthorized charges, it's fraudsters calling (yes, on the phone) into the card issuer to get access to my rewards points. "We can set a password to eliminate that problem." Great, lets do that! Fast forward a year, and again hundreds in rewards cash go missing. Call up the bank and ask how someone got into an account where I created a unique password, known only by me, and never used anywhere else? "They said they couldn't remember the password and answered security questions about you." What questions? Basic things you can find on Google, like Mother's maiden name.

But ... I do use Apple pay everywhere it's supported. Barring that, I use my new Apple credit card - no numbers on it, just a flat piece of titanium with an Apple logo and my name. If I need the number or CVV2, I pull it up in the app on my phone. If I want a new credit card number because I get a bad feeling about an experience somewhere and think they skimmed my card? Hit a button in the app and the card instantly gets a new number.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I don't sweat it. I always check all charges on the bill to make sure they are accurate. The credit card company has caught fraud before I did on several occasions. And if I dispute a charge, they always issue a credit.

If they need to change the account number, they overnight new cards to me.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Just got hit for $100.02 last week. Two charges for .01 each, then $100. My bank refunded it, but pending investigation. Going to start carrying cash for small purchases.

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    **sigh** and that’s why the fraud protection on debit cards is terrible

I learned the hard way, which is why I use credit cards, pay them off and earn cash back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The incentive to stop is not there. If a person does get caught nothing is done. There should be severe penalties and jail time. Just because this transaction was small doesn't mean that the career charges were small. Keep them in jail until the technology changes and they are out of date.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2019
    Fort Worth
    Just a FYI, Capital One is the BEST on fraud protection! Every time I use my card I get an alert when, where, the amount & it's within seconds after the card is scanned or manually entered. They also alert me when they believe I was double charged on certain transactions. Talk about on top of their game!

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Just a FYI, Capital One is the BEST on fraud protection! Every time I use my card I get an alert when, where, the amount & it's within seconds after the card is scanned or manually entered. They also alert me when they believe I was double charged on certain transactions. Talk about on top of their game!

I get the same with all my non-C1 cards as well.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    If I were to pay for a meal with cash and it was refused 'I'd' call the cops.

Not everyone has a debit or credit card or carry checks.

I would guess a business that refuses cash is being security conscious but that b.s.

Top Bottom