• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Those of you who live near Denton County might be interested in this. David R. is being relocated to another state and has put his North Texas Shooter's Association membership up for sale for $1200. If you've considered joining our club but were put off by the 4 to 5 year waiting list, purchasing Dave's membership will get you in right away. It's a good deal considering new members pay an initiation fee of $650 and annual dues of $150 upon joining, so for $400 more you can avoid the long wait and start shooting right away. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you Dave's contact info. Move quickly though, it won't last more than a day or two if it isn't gone already.
    Capitol Armory ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've never known a club to allow this. I've known clubs to refund a pro-rated portion of dues when someone leaves town but never seen a membership sold. Allowing people with money to cut in line creates a corrosive resentment among potential members.

At minimum, Phil Robertson, the guy who is first on the waiting list to get in, might be less than happy.

According to the bylaws of the Association at I.1.2 (See: http://shootntsa.com/reference_docs/by_laws/2013/NTSA By-Law file-updated-6-6-2013.pdf ),

Only Family Memberships in good standing shall be eligible for transfer.

Also under the bylaws, at II.2.2, a member can receive a prorated refund by asking the Board and getting a 2/3 vote in favor of granting the request.

It seems like the rules were written to prevent the sale of memberships...but that's just the impression I get.

Of course, it's more common for shooting clubs to ignore their own rules than follow them so selling memberships may be a common practice at NTSA. It just strikes me as a profoundly weird thing to do. If I pay 20 bucks/hour to rent a lane at my local indoor pistol range and then finish in a half hour, I don't go out into the lobby and announce the sale of 30 minutes of time on the range for $10, payable to me. The range management might get a little miffed.

And this is where the young folks would finish with "Just sayin..."

Last edited:

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Just sayin'. ;>) I received the email from the club's past VP with the offer so apparently such sales are legal. Personally I offer no opinion on the fairness of such an offer, I simply wanted to pass this info on to TGT in case there were any fellow TGTers interested in joining.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    And you're doing a great service to some lucky TGT member by passing it on. If I lived up there, I would have instantly PM'd you for contact info.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Let me ask... what makes this place worth $1200? (No tone in there, just an honest question)
    That's a legitimate question and one I'm happy to answer. NTSA is attractive for several reasons and I'll try to cover them all here.

The facilities are top notch with a very comfortable Club House with a large veranda and grills. The Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays ranges are all voice operated so even a single shooter with some spare time on his hands can go practice. The Pistol Ranges are broken up into 7-15 yds, 25-50 yds, and 50yds with lots of covered shooting spaces and benches so there's almost always an available bench. The rifle ranges are split into 50 yds, 100 yds, and 200 yds again with lots of covered shooting spaces as well as a climate controlled "shooter's shack and a large covered area behind the firing line. Ball ammo up to and including .50 BMG are allowed with only a couple of limitations on the .50.

The members are a great bunch of guys, slightly older but with a wealth of knowledge. The World Record Large Bore record holder is a member as well as Mike Plaxco, the accomplished IPSC shooter and author. Since it's a members only club...and a good one people don't jack-ass around. No neckbeards or knuckleheads allowed and the range rules, though mainly self-enforced aren't too onerous to have fun and are seldom broken, at least in my experience. There is a roving RO who's a pretty good guy but will get after anyone should they deserve it. Just about every type of shooting sport can be found at NTSA. I participate in the Tactical Rifle matches and there are Pistol and shotgun matches too.

What I really like about NTSA is since it is a members only club and it seems that the only other guys that show up during the week are shotgunners, I virtually have the pistol and rifle ranges to myself during the week which is when I get most of my time off. All that makes the cost of membership well worth the initiation and annual fees.

Top Bottom