Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I signed up to be notified when lodging deals are available via the NRA's package deal. There is not yet a way to book accommodations through the NRAAM web site.

However, just out of curiosity I went onto visithouston.com and found a huge disparity of prices within walking distance of the convention center. I'll probably drive in every day so it's not such a big deal to me but for people who need a hotel, be advised that you can pay $632/night to stay at the Four Seasons which is 4 blocks away. 3 blocks further away is the Athens Hotel for $49/night.

The official hotel will almost certainly be The Hilton Americas which is across the street and connected by an above-ground walkway to the Convention Center. According to their website, they have ZERO vacancies for the dates of the NRA Annual Meeting. I'm guessing that the NRA has reserved a giant block of rooms that will become available exclusively through the NRAAM website at a later date.

There is a Marriot Marquis also across the street from the Convention Center. It has rooms currently available starting at $230/night. If the place is set up like last time, it'll be much less convenient than the Hilton but it's still the second closest hotel.

Obviously, the numbers on this map will change pretty much every day. But as of today, for Sep 2 through Sep 6, the room rates in the area look like this. Note that the Convention Center is that big blank space on Avenida de las Americas between Discovery Green and the freeway (59/69).

Screenshot from 2021-01-16 11-12-36.png

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    BTW - Should we use this thread or start another for the meet-up plans? \

I'm assuming we're going to have a meet-up or two or more. Right?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I've been to the dallas and Phoenix meetings. I'll re up my membership and drive to huston. Definitely worth the yearly dues to attend.

Hopefully they will dump Wayne in the BK and move to Texas .

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I plan on joining/attending and driving in as required. Having never been to one before don't know if it'll be one day or two.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I signed up to be notified when lodging deals are available via the NRA's package deal. There is not yet a way to book accommodations through the NRAAM web site.

However, just out of curiosity I went onto visithouston.com and found a huge disparity of prices within walking distance of the convention center. I'll probably drive in every day so it's not such a big deal to me but for people who need a hotel, be advised that you can pay $632/night to stay at the Four Seasons which is 4 blocks away. 3 blocks further away is the Athens Hotel for $49/night.

The official hotel will almost certainly be The Hilton Americas which is across the street and connected by an above-ground walkway to the Convention Center. According to their website, they have ZERO vacancies for the dates of the NRA Annual Meeting. I'm guessing that the NRA has reserved a giant block of rooms that will become available exclusively through the NRAAM website at a later date.

There is a Marriot Marquis also across the street from the Convention Center. It has rooms currently available starting at $230/night. If the place is set up like last time, it'll be much less convenient than the Hilton but it's still the second closest hotel.

Obviously, the numbers on this map will change pretty much every day. But as of today, for Sep 2 through Sep 6, the room rates in the area look like this. Note that the Convention Center is that big blank space on Avenida de las Americas between Discovery Green and the freeway (59/69).

View attachment 241150

Check out the Holiday Inn at 1810 Bell St. It's a ten minute walk to the convention center.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Who wants to go to Houston? Put it in the middle of the state not that (pardon my language) s***hole.
    The location is determined by the size of the local airport and the availability of rooms and food. That means the choice is Dallas or Houston.

They can't hold the meeting in Austin - it might as well be in Cuba. San Antonio would be a nice place, but the city government has shown that it's trying to compete with Austin for liberal worship.

I have to say that Houston is much easier on the wallet than Dallas.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Having never been to one before don't know if it'll be one day or two.
    If all you want to do is see everything on the floor of the main exhibit hall that interests you, you can plan in advance, go at (almost) a dead run all day, and get it done in a day.

If you want to wander a bit and have time to breathe, it's definitely a two-day affair. If you want to do all that and maybe attend a seminar or dinner or two, then you'll need all three days.

You actually need four or five days but, unless you're taking part in some of the Thursday stuff for insiders, three days is all you get.

This is why I'm talking so soon about accommodations. To actually get everything out of the annual meeting, you need to be on site from opening till closing every day. There's way too much to do and see to actually fit it into the limited time allowed so commuting in an hour a day and finding (and paying for!) parking really robs you of precious time.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    If all you want to do is see everything on the floor of the main exhibit hall that interests you, you can plan in advance, go at (almost) a dead run all day, and get it done in a day.

If you want to wander a bit and have time to breathe, it's definitely a two-day affair. If you want to do all that and maybe attend a seminar or dinner or two, then you'll need all three days.

You actually need four or five days but, unless you're taking part in some of the Thursday stuff for insiders, three days is all you get.

This is why I'm talking so soon about accommodations. To actually get everything out of the annual meeting, you need to be on site from opening till closing every day. There's way too much to do and see to actually fit it into the limited time allowed so commuting in an hour a day and finding (and paying for!) parking really robs you of precious time.
    I’ll be there. If there’s a get together- I’m in for that as well.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    We'll be there...already booked a room at the new Days Inn by Wyndham, about 4 miles away. Free parking & wifi...some of the hotels charge for parking, so be wary. We'll arrive Thursday and leave Sunday - it takes a while to even try to see it all.

Top Bottom