Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    A note about parking - By far, the easiest way to park for the event if you're driving in every day is to drop off your vehicle at the Hilton valet. You have to arrive early because their parking is usually full by 9 to 10 am. Also, it's very expensive. However, it's easy and convenient.
    Hurley's Gold

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    A note about parking - By far, the easiest way to park for the event if you're driving in every day is to drop off your vehicle at the Hilton valet. You have to arrive early because their parking is usually full by 9 to 10 am. Also, it's very expensive. However, it's easy and convenient.

Yup - we'll uber from the hotel and back. Much simpler and less hassle.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    we'll uber from the hotel and back
    Anyone who is staying in the Central Business District can get a cab to anywhere else in the district (including the Convention Center) for a flat rate of $6. That might beat Uber prices. See here.

ETA: Cabbies hate the $6 flat rate. They sit at hotels and hope to get big fares to the airports. When you make them do a $6 ride, they're liable to cuss at you the entire time and then scream at you to get out a block from your destination. I know this from personal experience.

Just thought I should throw in that little caveat. :)

Last edited:

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I'm planning on driving over Friday morning. Not sure if I'll be able to go back on Saturday, Saturday is my birthday and also our wedding anniversary.

Are we going to try to have a TGT meet and greet area and time?

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I said to the NRA, no more money until Pe0pe LaPew is gone
    Lots of people said that on these pages. Or words to that effect.
    Looks to me like it was nothing but a lot of words.
    I hope not get within 20 miles of wayne and his supporters, and I live here

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

I'm not going to support Wayne. I'm going to support the organization that still carries a lot of weight in the halls of our lawmakers.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    I'm not going to support Wayne. I'm going to support the organization that still carries a lot of weight in the halls of our lawmakers.
    I'm open to those sentiments... I have no intention of resigning from the organization.
    Any suggestions on how to contribute to the organization so that Wayne doesn't have the opportunity to mis-use it are welcome.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I'm open to those sentiments... I have no intention of resigning from the organization.
    Any suggestions on how to contribute to the organization so that Wayne doesn't have the opportunity to mis-use it are welcome.

For me, it's been the FNRA program. Those funds are divorced from their General Fund since they're a 501(c)3. At the same time, I'm supporting the shooting sports, education and law enforcement. Let's just say that at the last event we attended, we left with all but two of the firearms available...lol

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Hope you are not terribly missed by the rest of us.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Last time I parked across the street or near so in a parking garage. I don't remember the cost. What concerns me this time is more thugs are out than there was last time. Getting in an elevator alone is not real smart. Even being armed one could be over taken by 2 or 3. So be careful and if possible don't go alone.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Generally, Houston is less likely to have a problem than Dallas. Say what you will about HPD, they keep a pretty tight rein on the downtown area. Basketball, baseball, and concerts are all located downtown and crime is minimal. I worked downtown for years and about the only thing that happened was an occasional "homeless" person that would freak out. When the convention was in Dallas, street crime dropped like 80%. Yes, you have to pay attention to your surroundings, but you have to do that no matter where you go. Thugs are not going to be praying on convention people who are very likely to be armed.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If anyone is really worried about your safety vis-a-vis your parking location, you have an option. Arrive very early and let the hotel valet take your car. It's expensive but it's an option.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The last time the convention was in Houston, the protesters ranged from about 4 in the morning to maybe 8 in the afternoon. In Dallas, I only saw 1 protester at the site (everyone was trying to pose with him for a picture, and he was actually nice about it and posed.) There were a few more off-site.

Ride your bicycle 13 miles in Houston? Please wear a cam so we can view your untimely death on YouTube. Drivers in Houston consider bicycles to be targets. Keep in mind that there for awhile they were hitting the commuter train on a daily basis.

Dave Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Roanoke, TX
    I also will be attending. I signed up as a volunteer too before the convention opens to the general public. Many of the spaces have already been rented out and a map is available on line where the major vendors spaces are identified.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom