• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Generally, Houston is less likely to have a problem than Dallas. Say what you will about HPD, they keep a pretty tight rein on the downtown area. Basketball, baseball, and concerts are all located downtown and crime is minimal. I worked downtown for years and about the only thing that happened was an occasional "homeless" person that would freak out. When the convention was in Dallas, street crime dropped like 80%. Yes, you have to pay attention to your surroundings, but you have to do that no matter where you go. Thugs are not going to be praying on convention people who are very likely to be armed.
    Funny you mention Dallas. My wife and I went that year and we took the train in. Going there and being at the convention went smooth. On the way back on the train, there was some towelhead complaining about all the “white people on his train”. We all (all of us colonizing crackas) started to stare at him and he got off on the next stop. There is safety in numbers and with the convention going on, there will be a surplus of gun owners who arent street trash or terrorists in the area. Lots of police too
    Guns International

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Does anyone else think it's odd that the official housing hasn't been opened for reservations yet? The "Plan Your Trip" link on the NRAAM website just leads to a page asking for your email in order to contact you "when 2021 housing opens."

That's weird. People should already be making reservations. I assume that exhibitors have already done so via some mechanism that's not available on the site.

Speaking of such, ...
    Many of the spaces have already been rented out and a map is available on line where the major vendors spaces are identified.
    ...a link would be much appreciated.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Does anyone else think it's odd that the official housing hasn't been opened for reservations yet? The "Plan Your Trip" link on the NRAAM website just leads to a page asking for your email in order to contact you "when 2021 housing opens."

That's weird. People should already be making reservations. I assume that exhibitors have already done so via some mechanism that's not available on the site.

Speaking of such, ......a link would be much appreciated.

Considering the bankruptcy trial, I don’t.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Odd - they DID have the housing info up a while back - registered for one of the hotels through it.
    I've been checking it pretty regularly and that page hasn't changed as far as I can tell. If it changed and then changed back, well, that could have easily happened during a week when I didn't look at it. The funny thing is that I signed up for an email notification as of the date I started this thread. I just checked my email, including spam, and I don't have a notice from the NRA.

Anyway, I'm glad you got in. Were they offering acommodations in the Hilton Americas next to the convention center? The Hilton website still shows no rooms available for the dates of the NRAAM. There are plenty of rooms available immediately before and after those dates.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Anyway, I'm glad you got in. Were they offering acommodations in the Hilton Americas next to the convention center? The Hilton website still shows no rooms available for the dates of the NRAAM. There are plenty of rooms available immediately before and after those dates.

Thanks. Yeah, there were still some available, but between the ridiculous price AND the daily charge for parking, I just wasn't gonna do it. Guess it's all the years I spent on the road - fancy hotels just don't do anything for me - 4 walls an' a roof that doesn't leak, and I'm a happy camper.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Never been to one. But, I guess since I’m a member, and it’s in my hometown, I may as well check it out. Looking forward to a meet up for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparkyv

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Deepinnaheartta, Texas
    I don't plan on attending this one. The last time in Houston, CC was OK in the marketing display areas, but no CC was allowed in the area where the main convention speeches were being held. Utter hypocrisy and BS.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I don't plan on attending this one. The last time in Houston, CC was OK in the marketing display areas, but no CC was allowed in the area where the main convention speeches were being held. Utter hypocrisy and BS.

Umm...dude thegun prohibition during a FEW of the speeches was because of the Secret Service concerns - NOT the NRA.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I note that the page for accommodations has changed. It's no longer possible to sign up for an email alert for when the HQ hotel rooms are made available. Instead, the page just has a notice that...
    2021 Housing will be opening very soon,...
    ...along with a bit more useless verbiage.

So, despite the fact that the housing apparently opened for a short time previously, the rest of it will be made available "very soon," whatever that means.

For those of you not signed up for an email alert, I'll post here when I get mine. I'm not sure what good that will do since I imagine that the rooms will be ridiculously overpriced and will also sell out in a heartbeat. Yet, I'll do it, if only for the sake of completeness.

I hope any of you who really wanted to make a long trip to attend and stay downtown paid attention to my first post with housing prices. I just checked again and those conveniently located $49 rooms are long gone.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The last time the convention was in Houston, the protesters ranged from about 4 in the morning to maybe 8 in the afternoon. In Dallas, I only saw 1 protester at the site (everyone was trying to pose with him for a picture, and he was actually nice about it and posed.) There were a few more off-site.

Ride your bicycle 13 miles in Houston? Please wear a cam so we can view your untimely death on YouTube. Drivers in Houston consider bicycles to be targets. Keep in mind that there for awhile they were hitting the commuter train on a daily basis.
    Actually a pretty safe route from my buddy’s house to the convention center. I am also in pretty decent shape and have the ability to check my surroundings before crossing a street. I’ll be fine, but thanks for the concern.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Last time I went down down was for the World Series. Maybe I’ll go back for this.

They really need to get there house in order. BUTTTTTTT

It’s work thr $$ to see all the guns!

You might try Priceline. We’ve gotten very good deals on downtown hotels with easy access to GRB
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    As of 11:33AM today, housing is now open!

Go here to book a room. The available blocks reserved by the NRA are mostly not in the hotel attached to the convention center. The rooms are all over downtown (with some further out) and range from $86/night (located where you'll have to commute in a bit of a distance) up to $284/night (just a few blocks from the convention center).

There is almost nothing at the usual convention center HQ hotel, the Hilton Americas. They have a few rooms at $205/night if you're only staying for part of the meeting, e.g. checking in on Saturday and out on Sunday. This strikes me as weird but maybe the Hilton got mostly full with the meeting staff, exhibitors, volunteers, speakers, etc. I dunno. If you want to check in on Thursday and take in all three days, that hotel is not an option.

Maybe it's an option if you have an access code...but I don't even know what that is! You'll see what I mean when you browse the link provided.

I'm looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible while we're there.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Reviewing the map of hotels, the 5 furthest away are mostly the 5 cheapest. I don't suggest any of them. All of them require a too-long commute through heavy traffic. No matter how you accomplish it (drive, cab, Uber, Lyft, bus, etc.), you'll arrive more stressed and/or having spent more money than is optimal to start the day. I suggest you stay downtown and walk it. Or take a cab within the central business district, subject to the caveats I noted in a previous post.

Of course, if you're only driving in on Saturday and Sunday, those hotels are a workable option.

Keep in mind that taxes, fees, and parking costs will substantially inflate the daily rates you see quoted via the web portal.

lbbf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    Lake Jackson
    I've really enjoyed going in the past. Can't wait for this one. Getting to handle all those different guns is a whole lot of fun. Good thing they don't sell firearms there. I'd be broke and selling the house when I got back.

Top Bottom