• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    It's a beautiful pistol, and the craftsmanship looks quite good, but it's a bit over-done and busy for my personal tastes in pistols, or 1911's.
    I can see that.
    There was a guy doing engraving work here on the forum like 10ish years back. Can't remember his handle but he was a talented dude.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I can see that.
    There was a guy doing engraving work here on the forum like 10ish years back. Can't remember his handle but he was a talented dude.

I use to just be amazed at looking at some of the engraved guns in my father's American Rifleman magazines as a kid. I still appreciate the artwork, the craftsmanship and the skills needed to engrave a gun, but they are just not for me personally.

Engraving is not a skill that is learned overnight and not just anyone is talented enough to do it either.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I use to just be amazed at looking at some of the engraved guns in my father's American Rifleman magazines as a kid. I still appreciate the artwork, the craftsmanship and the skills needed to engrave a gun, but they are just not for me personally.

Engraving is not a skill that is learned overnight and not just anyone is talented enough to do it either.
    Serious engraving projects are a major investment in time, money, and artistic choices that can turn out to be a disaster, both monetarily and aesthetically.

There's a show in Vegas every year where all the good engravers gather to show off their work. If anyone wants a fully custom engraved gun, they'd be dollars ahead to go to that show and only talk to an engraver after you've seen and held their work in person and thought to themselves "Wow! This is art that really speaks to me!"

Most engraving, though, is done like this piece. It's not custom; it's the vision of the designer/builder/engraver, all done on spec. All they need is one person to decide they like it well enough to spend the money. That's a lot easier than dealing with a discriminating, educated client who wants a full-custom piece. Pieces like this almost always sell because there's always at least one rich guy with no patience for a custom job who will ante up for the immediate gratification of getting their flashy gun right now.

Full custom stuff? That can cost as much as a house and take years to reach completion. Most people don't have the money, patience, or artistic sense to commission an elaborate full custom piece.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom