Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I agree with the op.

I don't know if all gun stores are like this, but the owner of one of our local gun shops said they order primers once a year, and powder every 4-6 months- that's the only way they can buy enough to get good volume discounts. For them, at least, that means that whenever there is a run on ammo, powder, primers, etc, they have a hard time getting stock on a short term, fast, basis.

If a lot of stores are like that, it makes even more sense that when there is a run on ammo and components it puts even greater stress on the supply chain.

I have well over $5k in equipment- and god only knows how much I've spent in components- but most of my equipment was purchased used, and I shoot a LOT... better than 2k rounds a month, every month, and over 4k if there are any friends or family visiting, which seems to be pretty common.

Last, I got into reloading to save money, but have grown to enjoy it immensely. It's relaxing and has helped me learn a lot more about firearms and shooting along the way.
    When I was in there a couple weeks ago, they had decent powder pricing, but their primers were $48.99 per 1k. I can beat that price at Academy buying them 100 at a time.
    Target Sports

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    When I was in there a couple weeks ago, they had decent powder pricing, but their primers were $48.99 per 1k.

Wow. What store is that?

Primers are one thing I never bother doing more than just glancing at in stores.

For over 10 years now I have scored all of my primers from individuals. I did buy 4 cases in 2012 of S&B from a mail order place because they were on closeout @ $72/5000, but otherwise, all 100k+ I've gone through were from guys just getting rid of whatever they had that they didn't want.

Doing that I've never paid more than about $20/1000. Lots of times it was WAY less.

There are 2 different classifieds ads here on Txguntalk w/prices pretty close to that. If zeussdaddy still has any left in a week or so I'll be buying the rest of his stash :)

Imho, unless one is an FClass or extreme long range shooter where SDs of less than 10 are critical to your success, there is little reason to buy primers retail.

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    That was Field and Stream in San Angelo.

Wow. I like their firearm selection, and I make it a point to buy at least a little from them, and the other 2 gun stores here, but $50/1000 for normal primers is cray cray.

My go-to favorite here is the Texas Gun Shop. They're pretty reasonable overall, and they have the widest selection of both powder and reloading equipment of anyone in the area, but, again, I don't buy primers from any store unless it's a true blow out price.

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    FYI, they are owned by Dicks.

I agree with TxStestson. I know one of the owners (there are 2). Both local guys. 1 of them and his wife are in there a LOT.

Field & Streams corporate tried suing them, twice, but by whatever means, they got out of it.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don’t believe this one is. It’s a small town gunshop that just happens to have an unfortunate name.The name is actually Field & Streams. Their website ( https://fieldandstreams.com/ ) says locally owned and operated.
    Ah, ok. That is a poor choice of name considering the people below are assholes :laughing:
    5500-1-l.jpg

Attachments

• 5500-1-l.jpg
      5500-1-l.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 533

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    I too buy primers and at least half of powder from those throwing in the towel. Usually can get primers for 1.5 to 2.0 cents each. Powder bought this way is $10-15 per pound, less sometimes. I don't load many jacketed bullets but most of my supply is open box experiments gone wrong for someone else.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    My primers and most powders come from estate sales and the like. Powders on average run about $5-$10 per pound, primers maybe $10/1000. Open power gets left for others to buy, I only buy factory sealed powder.

Top Bottom