Gun Zone Deals

Now for one of Mr. London's wacky ideas.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Just had an interesting thought- I know I'm not the only person who's wanted a Glock 30 rd. mag for the .40. Unfortunately they only make them in 9mm and the aftermarket ones have very bad reviews.

So... here's my crazy idea. Let's say I take a 30 rd 9mm Glock mag, pop that baby open, and swap out the 9mm follower for a .40. I've read the 9mm mags have the same dimensions as the .40- never measured it to make sure, though. Some people claim to use .40 mags for 9mm and vice-versa without even changing the follower. I doubt it will hold 30; probably more like 26.

Think it'll work? Not work? Create a thermo-nuclear detonation in my hand and inspire the world's coolest eulogy? I'm no gunsmith, I'm just a crazy guy willing to try unless someone here can talk me out of it.
    Target Sports

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The feed lips aren't right, they are too tight. The 9s do work in a 40 mag, but not vice versa. Load one round of 40 in a 9mm mag, and you will see what I mean.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    The feed lips aren't right, they are too tight. The 9s do work in a 40 mag, but not vice versa. Load one round of 40 in a 9mm mag, and you will see what I mean.

So here's my next question- do you think a skilled, bad-ass dremel wieldin' fool could modify the feed lips of a 9mm mag to match a .40? I'll go get one from my buddy and bust out the calipers if I have to!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I think you can buy feed lip "adjusters" somewhere. That may be all you need. I did read somewhere a couple of months ago that there was a Glock .40 cal. made that had 20+ rds. (supposedly made my Glock). I'll do a little research.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Found what I'd seen from Lone Wolf Distributors.
    ThumbnailHandler.jpg
    Glock G/22 Magazine 22 Rounds Item: GLO-MF22222 Back Ordered
    Expected Delivery Date: 3/4/2011
    Manufacturer: Glock Inc. Glock O.E.M. 22 round G22 magazine.
    More... $38.95

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So here's my next question- do you think a skilled, bad-ass dremel wieldin' fool could modify the feed lips of a 9mm mag to match a .40? I'll go get one from my buddy and bust out the calipers if I have to!
    You can sure try. I believe a man with a grinder, welder, JB Weld, bailing wire, and duct tape can get anything to work right.

I just tried a 40 in an extended Glock factory mag, and it doesn't work. The feed lips will have to be opened up a little. The lips hold the round straight, and it hits the bottom of the feed ramp, and stops. Opening up the lips would allow the front of the round to move up as it moves forward, and it may feed correctly then. You may be able to just bend the lips open a little at the front.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I doubt it will hold 30; probably more like 26.

If you can modify the lips like others have mentioned, you won't get that many in there. More like 20 would be my guess. That's based on my use of Sig P226 15rd .40 mags which, unmodified will hold and feed 20rds of 9mm in a Sig P228. Ratio in that gun is 3-.40: 4-9mm. Glocks might stack differently.

Top Bottom