• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    An LTC permit doesn't prove anything in the overall big picture, other than you met the minimum standards that a state says you have to meet in order to exercise a privilege to carry a weapon on your person.

It doesn't prove you know how to safely carry a gun, or how it operates, or how to shoot. It doesn't prove you know the laws governing the carrying of gun, or establish that you know when to exercise when, or when it isn't prudent to use the weapon.

There are pros and cons to either side of the argument IMO. I think it comes down to personal preference as it should be. There are going to be critics and naysayers on both sides of the fence. Do whichever suits your needs personally.
    Target Sports

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    An LTC permit doesn't prove anything in the overall big picture, other than you met the minimum standards that a state says you have to meet in order to exercise a privilege to carry a weapon on your person.

It doesn't prove you know how to safely carry a gun, or how it operates, or how to shoot. It doesn't prove you know the laws governing the carrying of gun, or establish that you know when to exercise when, or when it isn't prudent to use the weapon.

There are pros and cons to either side of the argument IMO. I think it comes down to personal preference as it should be. There are going to be critics and naysayers on both sides of the fence. Do whichever suits your needs personally.
    The one thing it does prove is that you are not a criminal, and you have never been treated for mental illness.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The one thing it does prove is that you are not a criminal, and you have never been treated for mental illness.
    So does a DL when they run it for wants and warrants.

And it only proves you were not a criminal at the time it was issued.

And the mental illness, it doesn't cover being treated for voluntary commitment, or treatment since that comes under the authority of the HIPPA laws concerning privacy.

VNK971

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Mico, TX
    The first time I got a permit was in 1975. I applied and paid for it in the town in Connecticut where I was a police officer. Back then a town cop only had police jurisdiction in the municipality you worked. The badge was enough to carry in the state so I don't remember why I got it, only that there was no requirement except the $5.00 or so.

I got my Texas CHL as soon as I could after moving back in 2014. I'll keep renewing since I already have it.

Reactions: gll

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    That they know about...

Not every criminal gets caught, not every mentally ill person gets treated.
    If you check yourself into a hospital to be treated for some sort of mental illness, that is never reported or known.

The only thing that shows up is if the commitment was court ordered by a judge.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Well... I'm one of the ones getting a new LTC in 2022. Turns out that when I sent in my change of address stuff, they didn't process the renewal. My wife had our kid during that time and I didn't realize that I didn't get a new card until too late too renew. Oops.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I know...no one asked......but...

Early in my career I worked on the admissions ward of a State Mental Health Hospital....Court ordered, self committal and emergency detentions all came through the wards (two...one for male and one for female) and were housed together until they had been evaluated and then moved to appropriate wards for their particular illness/symptoms and safety risks. I worked the male admissions ward.......

Folks would check themselves in on advice from their family, friends and loved ones.......They tell them they can leave anytime they wanted..but there was a one condition....Once admitted, they are not allowed to leave until evaluated by a Psych Dr,

In very short order, they would discover.....they did not really have mental health illness....they were depressed or whatever .....but the people all around them were bat shit crazy........ No one is evaluated over the weekend..so if they came in a Friday, it would at least be Monday before they could leave.

We had isolation rooms for the violent patients complete with leather restraints, suicide watch rooms, ect. If the court orders them to take meds, they could not refuse them. If they refused, we (as many staff as we could muster) would take control of them physically and deliver the medication IM or SQ whichever was indicated. Someone on the staff always had a black eye or injury...and keeping the patients from injuring/attacking each other was constant. No staff walked the ward alone, ever.

The patient advocates (attorneys) were investigating patient abuse by the staff daily........one of them was later killed by a patient after the patient was released.....he survived the shooting but fell over from a pulmonary embolism a couple weeks later after he returned to work at the hospital.

It was a violent place. I left after my 6 months probation period, went into Cardiology and never looked back....

Last edited:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Like I said, if I didn't already have it, I probably wouldn't get an LTC..

Still, the fact that an LTC has more 'privileges' than 'Constitutional Carry' says that it isn't really 'Constitutional Carry', but just 'permitless carry' with more restrictions than others are permitted...

Top Bottom