• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodymd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2020
    Dallas
    So I’m working in Dallas, been here since August but a resident of Md(yea communist state) I went to basspro the other day looking to buy an O/U they said they couldn’t sell to me since I was from Md.
    I thought this only applied to NFA guns not a simple O/u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Welcome to the Forum!

I know you can't purchase a handgun from an FFL, but unsure on the long gun purchase.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Welcome to TGT. I believe it is legal to purchase a long gun out of state as far as federal law. Maybe Maryland has some restriction against it, or maybe it's a Bass Pro policy. Here is what the feds say:

Under federal law, individuals can lawfully obtain a long gun from a seller or transferor in another state, provided that:
    • Both parties meet in person to conduct the sale or transfer.
    • The sale or transfer is conducted by, or through, a licensed dealer, pursuant to a background check and other requirements.
    • The sale, delivery, and receipt of the long gun fully comply with state law in both parties’ states of residence.

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    FFL dealers are required to follow not only Federal law and the laws of the state they operate in, but (now) also the laws of the prospective gun buyer.
    If Maryland laws forbid purchasing out of state or without a purchase order/permit, you are out of luck.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Welcome to TGT. I believe it is legal to purchase a long gun out of state as far as federal law. Maybe Maryland has some restriction against it, or maybe it's a Bass Pro policy. Here is what the feds say:

Under federal law, individuals can lawfully obtain a long gun from a seller or transferor in another state, provided that:
    • Both parties meet in person to conduct the sale or transfer.
    • The sale or transfer is conducted by, or through, a licensed dealer, pursuant to a background check and other requirements.
    • The sale, delivery, and receipt of the long gun fully comply with state law in both parties’ states of residence.

That's buying from someone in another state, not making the actual purchase while in a state that you don't live in.
    At least that's how I read it.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    That's buying from someone in another state, not making the actual purchase while in a state that you don't live in.
    At least that's how I read it.
    I don't see the distinction. That's the same thing. He is buying from someone in another state.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Explain that??? It doesn't compute.

I don't see the distinction. That's the same thing. He is buying from someone in another state.
    Sorry.
    I mean like buying and having it shipped to you, through an FFL, versus going to the other state personally, and buying it.
    Obviously I could be wrong, lol....

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    My understanding is you can buy a long gun in any state, handguns are different.
    Basically, but it is subject to the laws of the state you and the FFL are in, and the state you are from.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Woodymd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2020
    Dallas
    Basically, but it is subject to the laws of the state you and the FFL are in, and the state you are from.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

I agree with all that. Just trying to find the actual law. I know we used to be able to buy shotguns and long guns(excluding AR’s) at dealers say in Va, De, or Pa. maybe the law changed or maybe it’s just Bass pro covering their butt since md is becoming Cali

Woodymd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2020
    Dallas
    The OP has been here in Texas for 10 months and that makes him a resident. He should get a Texas DL.

I’m still a resident of Maryland just here for work and don’t want to become a resident and give up my per diem .

I did post this on the md shooters group and this is what I got.

52f14ba0eb0a0db4d97b8aa544aadccd.jpg

Attachments

• 52f14ba0eb0a0db4d97b8aa544aadccd.jpg
      52f14ba0eb0a0db4d97b8aa544aadccd.jpg
      64.7 KB · Views: 481

Woodymd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2020
    Dallas
    I also got this off cabelas website but not sure how old it is especially since Bass pro bought them

62869a197193a3b26dd3be4017648e4d.jpg

Attachments

• 62869a197193a3b26dd3be4017648e4d.jpg
      62869a197193a3b26dd3be4017648e4d.jpg
      74.9 KB · Views: 518
    Top Bottom