• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    Yes, but a pound of powder is 7000 grains; a tray of primers contains 100 primers; a box of bullets is 50-250 bullets.

Once you have everything, you aren't limited to 20-50 rounds.
    Capitol Armory ad

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yes, but a pound of powder is 7000 grains; a tray of primers contains 100 primers; a box of bullets is 50-250 bullets.

Once you have everything, you aren't limited to 20-50 rounds.

But, does that take up more room than if it was turned into finished rounds?
    Powder, primers, bullets, brass....

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I've never reloaded ammo before, but I'm curious.
    Wouldn't all the components, and their containers, required to create 50 rounds, take up more space than 50 loaded rounds?
    The way you describe it probably yes. But a pound of powder will probably load 5000 rounds of 9mm. 5 k 9mm loaded will take up a pretty good size space if packed commercially. Most of us buy in fairly large quantities because of the hazmat fees. I think you can buy 48# of powder and primers for 1 hazmat fee. Many sellers ship bullets in one of those usps one charge for anything that fits in the box which is a lot of bullets. Brass you pick up or buy. If space is truly the issue and it is available and you have the money buy commercial ammo. You definitely need room if you are going to reload.

Dave68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2014
    NW Houston
    If I was counting the reloading equipment, then yes it would take up a lot of space. Reloading equipment multiplies like guns. ;)

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    You're on the right track. I've seen this in other industries with different materials. It's always the same self fulfilling prophecies.

Word goes out supplies are going to be tight. Orders get put on allocation. The store is told you can only buy X or your delivery date will be Y days down the road. Demand seems to increase, so they place an order for X per month, or keep placing orders so they have a continuous supply coming in for the next 6-12 months when they only really need 2 months. But they have to their place in line in case demand doesn't let up.

When supplies increase or demand takes a small dip, inventories start to grow and orders get canceled faster than they were placed. Suddenly the 12 month backlog becomes 2 weeks.

But I can see demand staying high until the Republicans have firm control of either the house or senate and show some semblance of a spine.
    Spine? I can't imagine what it would take for the RINO's to show a little spine.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Ive been able to find ammo but Ive had to be aggressive in getting out there to find it. Things certainly arent like they were 9 months ago but you can definitely find something with a little bit of effort

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I thought I had found a (relatively) good deal on American Eagle 9mm 124 gr at Federalpremium.com. $22.99 for a box of 50. Limit of 2 tho. After shipping and tax, still comes out to 62¢ per round.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The local Academy continues to surprise.
    They has a good amount of .380 in there today. All Monarch.
    Everything else was already sold out by the time I got by there.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The way you describe it probably yes. But a pound of powder will probably load 5000 rounds of 9mm. 5 k 9mm loaded will take up a pretty good size space if packed commercially. Most of us buy in fairly large quantities because of the hazmat fees. I think you can buy 48# of powder and primers for 1 hazmat fee. Many sellers ship bullets in one of those usps one charge for anything that fits in the box which is a lot of bullets. Brass you pick up or buy. If space is truly the issue and it is available and you have the money buy commercial ammo. You definitely need room if you are going to reload.

I don't know of any powder that will get you 5000 rounds per pound for 9mm. The most I know of is 1250-1300 rounds. I have never seen load data for any powder even close to 1.4 grn of powder.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom