• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods

AUSTIN, Texas Last year, after months of negotiating, the Texas legislature approved an $18 billion package of property tax cuts. Now, the Texas Senate evaluated going even further, potentially eliminating property taxes entirely.

On Wednesday, the Texas Senate Committee on Finance took testimony on what further property tax cuts would look like, particularly by cutting school district property taxes, or property taxes entirely. Some Senators on both sides of the aisle appeared skeptical of such holistic tax eliminations, but inclined to further cuts.

capital-idea-750320.jpg

Last edited:

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX

AUSTIN, Texas Last year, after months of negotiating, the Texas legislature approved an $18 billion package of property tax cuts. Now, the Texas Senate evaluated going even further, potentially eliminating property taxes entirely.

On Wednesday, the Texas Senate Committee on Finance took testimony on what further property tax cuts would look like, particularly by cutting school district property taxes, or property taxes entirely. Some Senators on both sides of the aisle appeared skeptical of such holistic tax eliminations, but inclined to further cuts.

View attachment 472399

I'll believe that when I see it.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Pipe dream. It won't happen. We already have no state income tax for people. Its only for businesses, and you can make over $1million before the tax actually kicks in.

They have to pay for those road expansions due to all the Calli people moving here.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Pipe dream. It won't happen. We already have no state income tax for people. Its only for businesses, and you can make over $1million before the tax actually kicks in.

They have to pay for those road expansions due to all the Calli people moving here.
    Some fail to understand that whatever the source, it takes taxes to fund government expenses.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    I believe income tax is not possible due to a constitutional amendment. They’d have to get that changed to implement it.

What they need to do is eliminate or drastically reduce the property tax and replace it with a sales tax.
    Yes. The article is about property tax. I was distracted when I posted it, and flubbed it for income tax. It's now fixed.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Not feasible. It’s the same as the BS tuition loan repayment thing. They are merely pandering for votes in an election year.

Property taxes fund lots of things and would need to be replaced. Even with DRAMATIC spending cuts which no political creature ever does, you’re going to see a huge increase in sales tax or gas tax, electricity fees…. Or you’ll have income tax before you know it.

I’m not opposed to having it the way of the dodo bird and being replaced with increased sales tax, but there would need to be some thought put into how one implements an updated sales tax regime.

Renters would be hardest hit though. Apartments aren’t going to be refunding property tax portion of rents so a renters rent would stay the same while their cost of living via increased consumption taxes sky rocketed. I’ll wager we are pretty close to having far more renters than owners, so that wont fly. And before folks go on the just buy a home rant. Look at current property prices and interest rates and OD on reality polls. Cause that ain’t happening either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom