• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • webphut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Cypress, TX
    I can not believe that there is not one gunsmith school in the Houston area. Does anyone know of any gunsmithing classes, seminars, programs available in the Houston area? I live in Cypress.

I already checked out NRA's website, Google and Google maps. Strange, One would think in a gun loving state like Texas, there would be an abundance of formal gunsmithing classes.

webphut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Cypress, TX
    Hmmm, maybe open a few gunsmith vocational schools be a better business to get into. Got my mind on my money and my money on my mind........

Franchises

Hmmm

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Welcome to tgt. If I may offer you a suggestion...it’s very easy to learn how to become a machinist. If you haven’t or have a hard time getting into gunsmithing classes, I recommend you focus on becoming a machinist first. It isn’t hard. If I can learn it you can too.

From there “gunsmithing” becomes pretty easy.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    There's a school out in Arizona that has a Bachelor's(?) degree program in guns and or gunsmithing. Looked into a bit once when I saw a link at at the end of one of Hickok 45's videos. Can't recall the name of it, otherwise I'd tell ya'.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I'm thinking Jackson Arms in sniper's plaza near SMU. A guy I went to high school with was wearing an apron and looked to be working on a rifle.

Bear with me this was 40 years ago.

Now called Jackson Armory.

webphut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Cypress, TX
    Welcome to tgt. If I may offer you a suggestion...it’s very easy to learn how to become a machinist. If you haven’t or have a hard time getting into gunsmithing classes, I recommend you focus on becoming a machinist first. It isn’t hard. If I can learn it you can too.

From there “gunsmithing” becomes pretty easy.

I am actually a semi retired metal fabricator with a welding, machining and designing background. In fact my father had me welding my name on the bottom of Navy ship hulls at the age of seven. I know of the internet courses, but I learn better in an actual Class room/work shop setting.
    I would be more than happy to attend a week long smithing class on bolt action rifles to get me started on the right path. I could take off from there. Just want to make sure I am doing everything correctly with the finished rifle being safe to use. As far as learning how to run a mill or lathe or tig weld, I have those skill sets covered, I’m not a machinist by any means, but I know how to get a job started and finished. I mostly need the “what do I do next” type of information with maybe a few pointers/suggestions. Something to give me confidence in my self to build my own bolt action rifles.

Top Bottom