shitstorm.gif
    comes

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My dad grew up dirt poor, & they butchered a hog a year. His favorite was his mom would fry up all the pork chops put them in a crock the cover them in lard.When you wanted some you just dug out the pork chop & reheated them in the lard.

Duck meat can be done the dame way using the duck fat.

The practice is known as Confit.

Confit (/kɒnfi/, French pronunciation: [kɔ̃fi]) (from the French word confire, literally "to preserve")[1][2] is any type of food that is cooked slowly over a long period as a method of preservation.[1]

Confit, as a cooking term, describes when food is cooked in grease, oil, or sugar water (syrup), at a lower temperature, as opposed to deep frying. While deep frying typically takes place at temperatures of 160–230 °C (325–450 °F), confit preparations are done at a much lower temperature, such as an oil temperature of around 90 °C (200 °F), or sometimes even cooler. The term is usually used in modern cuisine to mean long, slow cooking in oil or fat at low temperatures, many having no element of preservation, such as in dishes like confit potatoes.

For meat, this method requires the meat to be salted as part of the preservation process. After salting and cooking in fat, confit can last for several months or years when sealed and stored in a cool, dark place. Confit is a specialty of southwestern France.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    My dad grew up dirt poor, & they butchered a hog a year. His favorite was his mom would fry up all the pork chops put them in a crock the cover them in lard.When you wanted some you just dug out the pork chop & reheated them in the lard.

Duck meat can be done the dame way using the duck fat.

The practice is known as Confit.

Confit (/kɒnfi/, French pronunciation: [kɔ̃fi]) (from the French word confire, literally "to preserve")[1][2] is any type of food that is cooked slowly over a long period as a method of preservation.[1]

Confit, as a cooking term, describes when food is cooked in grease, oil, or sugar water (syrup), at a lower temperature, as opposed to deep frying. While deep frying typically takes place at temperatures of 160–230 °C (325–450 °F), confit preparations are done at a much lower temperature, such as an oil temperature of around 90 °C (200 °F), or sometimes even cooler. The term is usually used in modern cuisine to mean long, slow cooking in oil or fat at low temperatures, many having no element of preservation, such as in dishes like confit potatoes.

For meat, this method requires the meat to be salted as part of the preservation process. After salting and cooking in fat, confit can last for several months or years when sealed and stored in a cool, dark place. Confit is a specialty of southwestern France.
    <>

My coronary arteries are trembling at those thoughts. . . . .

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    We're freeze drying 20 lbs of venison meatballs this week. We will add them to the freeze dried spaghetti with red sauce already in storage to raise the protein content. Already put up batches of venison chili and venison stew.

Canned 2 cases of wild boar dog food last week.
    What brand/type of freeze dryer do you use?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    How the puck can you have a name like leVieux and tremble at fine French dining? What next denouncing Duck Fat Fries?
    >
    Not all, but layers of lard ? I do eat gratons, boudin, butter, bacon, cheeses, etc. I will eat about 1/3 of a large fried pork chop. Love cheeseburgers !

Our Internal Med Docs are too focused on blood lipids.

Heredity, excercise and the AMOUNTS of foods consumed are more important.

Recently, honest research has implicated high sugar content ‘’processed’’ foods as more important in the entire area.

I say ‘’honest’’, as I spent about 20 years in Academic Medicine and KNOW that not all research is ‘’honest’’ !

leVieux

Top Bottom