• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    We had an Accord CVT without any CVT problems (but had others) and Nissan has ALWAYS had CVT issues. I drove stick Datsuns/Nissans for 19 years before going elsewhere when I wanted a slush box.
    ARJ Defense ad

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Thank you. How do I tell if it does?

And to be honest, I have never even looked under the hood of her car!
    Easiest way to tell, does it sound like a weedeater when you accelerate?

On a CVT system, when you take off the engine accelerates before the wheels start turning and then as the car gets faster the slip reduces, and the engine sound is more in line with velocity.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

On a CVT system, when you take off the engine accelerates before the wheels start turning and then as the car gets faster the slip reduces, and the engine sound is more in line with velocity.

Never have noticed any sound like that. sounds like most any other automatic transmission, as in no noises that I can hear.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

Yeah its often called “motor boating” but not the kind that involves bewbies

The rpm rise and the vehicle catches up...the rpm don’t rise or fall in direct relation to vehicle speed.

The shifting is stepless, there are no specific gears that it shifts into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    We had an Accord CVT without any CVT problems (but had others) and Nissan has ALWAYS had CVT issues. I drove stick Datsuns/Nissans for 19 years before going elsewhere when I wanted a slush box.

That’s because historically Honda’s don’t make torque

(the newer turbos do)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Some TCU's are programmed to "step" instead of slip linearly to try and reduce wear, so the uneducated or oblivious may still interpret it to be a more typical automatic transmission.

angel71rs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    El Paso
    My now ex had a 2009 Rogue that suddenly started to lose power while she was driving on the freeway until she could only do 15mph. She managed to get off freeway and into a parking lot, I go down with tools, multimeter, etc, and hook up to the OBD port.

No codes, nada I can see wrong. She hops in my car, I drive Rogue home, runs normally???

It happened again the next day, luckily closer to home and she managed to limp home. I break out my google-fu and finally found the cause: tranny was coding, BUT... POS Nissan hid it from you, only dealership could access those codes. Because Nissan knows their C-V-Ts are C-R-A-P. Nissan tech spilled the beans on NICO forum.

Nissan only put a tiny "beehive" cooler on the side of trans. Possible fix was to install an external cooler up front, buy a beehive spacer plate on Ebay with fittings for getting trans fluid to cooler, replace trans fluid with special expensive Nissan CVT fluid.

So I bought all that crap and all the brackets, hoses, fiddly stuff, was getting ready to install. Ex comes home with a new Toyota, she traded POS Rogue in.

I'm stuck with the crap. But then guy at work asks for a consultation, tells me his 2012 Sentra is losing power with no codes once in a while. I ask if it's a CVT, he says yeah, I tell him "do I have a deal for you!". Offer to sell him the whole enchilada at a cut rate to save me the hassle of Ebaying. Mofo passes!

So off to Ebay it goes. A month after he asks me if I still have it, I tell him long gone, break out your wallet and pay full price for what you need! FWIW, it did cure his issue.

There was a secret warranty extension on the 2008-2012 Rogue CVTs, IIRC an extra couple of years and up to 100k. EX's was at 65k, but past the time limit. I wouldn't doubt they have secret warranty extensions on their other mechanical turd CVTs.

:fuse::fuse::fuse:

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    The Nissan trucks seem to be doing pretty good. That Frontier is pretty tried and true at this point (it's been the same design for something like 12 years), and that Titan seems to be stacking up pretty well too. One of my colleagues has a Nissan SUV with the CVT so I'm waiting to see how this one holds out for him.
    Whheeeew! My out of date 2016 Frontier doesn't have the new modern stuff like CVT. The trucks, vans and z's have regular transmissions.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Some TCU's are programmed to "step" instead of slip linearly to try and reduce wear, so the uneducated or oblivious may still interpret it to be a more typical automatic transmission.

And the crazy thing is, it negates the benefits of having a CVT. May as well use a conventional autobox.

I think (hope) the latest 10-speed autoboxes put an end to this CVT nonsense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom