• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I try to achieve goals to improve or expand my shooting skills each year and I’m starting to think about next year. In the past, I’ve shot Cowboy Action, IDPA, 3 Gun, Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, a bunch of random indoor leagues, and tried the long range precision game in rimfire.

I’d like to not repeat any of those previous goals and focus on learning a new discipline. I don’t care if I’m competitive, the learning and enjoyment is the goal.

Locally there are PCC, carbine, bench rest, silhouette, steel challenge, and action pistol leagues I can take part in. The only one I’m not equipped for right now is PCC.

As usual with my goals y’all have some say. Any input on what sport you’d choose and why?
    Lynx Defense

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I'm personally wanting to start in USPSA or something similar to work on my pistol shooting skills next year. It'll be difficult if ammo doesn't start coming back. Time is also always a battle to be had.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Since you're going the Jack-of-all-trades route, I'd choose one I don't see on your list -- USPSA. Super fun, lots of options, lots to learn.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'd like to do the same. Are there any Ruger Rimfire matches happening in Texas?.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Honestly Seeker, I haven't kept up with news or information on competition shooting of any sort in many years now. The more I started moving around for work many years ago, and being different places pretty much put a stop to even considering doing it, so I just sort of lost track. Years and years ago when I was living and working in Houston, I had the opportunity to do quite a bit of shooting in lots of informal matches, and did a lot of sporting clays.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    3hrs later, still reading rules. Gotta get a metric tape measure to see if American production gun fits in production category box.

An easier route might be to see if the gun in question is on the list of approved handguns for production division (https://uspsa.org/productionlist). If so, you needn't measure, as long as you haven't made any modifications.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    An easier route might be to see if the gun in question is on the list of approved handguns for production division (https://uspsa.org/productionlist). If so, you needn't measure, as long as you haven't made any modifications.

Been there, mine’s not on the list. EDC X9 would be my shooter for USPSA and doesn’t appear to fit in the box for production.

Might able to swing it in another class, but power factor could become problematic. Who knows.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Been there, mine’s not on the list. EDC X9 would be my shooter for USPSA and doesn’t appear to fit in the box for production.

Might able to swing it in another class, but power factor could become problematic. Who knows.

Single-action only trigger? If so, not an option for production division. Looking at its webpage, I don't see it mentioned, only the pull weight.

Can definitely swing it in other classes. If it's SAO, you can shoot it in Limited, or not load the magazines to more than 10 rounds and shoot Limited-10. You can shoot anything in Open division.

Divisions only really matter if you're trying to win, or place well. If you just want to try the game, or improve your skills, and you aren't concerned with your placement, you're GTG with just about any handgun and just about any rig you might want to try.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Not a sport, but for me it will be reloading for sure. At least for the pricey stuff.

I'd like to nail down a PCP air rifle though. Been years since I've been into pellet guns. It would be cool to see what these new ones can do for precision.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Single-action only trigger? If so, not an option for production division...

Can definitely swing it in other classes...

Divisions only really matter if you're trying to win, or place well....
    Good points. I’m looking less at the comp and more at the skills and fun side of it. I’ll have to watch a local match to see the club personality.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Not a sport, but for me it will be reloading for sure. At least for the pricey stuff.

I'd like to nail down a PCP air rifle though. Been years since I've been into pellet guns. It would be cool to see what these new ones can do for precision.

I already reload to backfill in times like this and have done the handload thing.

I do have a crossman 1911 CO2 that’s a half-decent surrogate with scaled targets and distances.

I did precision rimfire rifle last year and it’s definitely a skill builder. For me, I learned I prefer action shooting more than 1/2-moa groups.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Way back many years ago, I worked with a bunch of guys that were really heavy into shooting sporting clays. They invited me to go with them one weekend, and after the first day, I was hooked! That was the most fun I had ever had shooting shoguns. So much so, that I upgraded to a older Winchester 101 to go shooting with over my Remington 870. A couple of the guys let me try out their O/U's for a few rounds and they were so much better than the pump action 870. Later on I even upgraded to a couple older Browning Citori shotguns. They were a pure joy to shoot all weekend long.

One weekend, we decided to make things a bit interesting, and maybe even a lesson in humility for some of us, by switching to 28 gauge rather than 12 gauge! I had to borrow a set of 28 gauge tubes for my shotgun since all I had were the 20 gauge and 410 tubes for mine. Many of the shots I had no difficulty making with a 12 gauge, were way harder to make with the 28 gauge. Yes, most assuredly a lesson in humility, but it was so much fun too.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    After this past weekend, I have found I really have a few areas that need some work. Plates of 6 to 8 inches at about ten yards for one. Multi distance targets with no shoots are another. Didn't hit any no shoots but, didn't place my shots real well on the bad guy targets either. And I without a doubt need more sitting, and cross body shooting practice. Once again, the no shoots were safe but, my shot placements needed a bit more precision.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I already reload to backfill in times like this and have done the handload thing.

I do have a crossman 1911 CO2 that’s a half-decent surrogate with scaled targets and distances.

I did precision rimfire rifle last year and it’s definitely a skill builder. For me, I learned I prefer action shooting more than 1/2-moa groups.

I have thought about over the years of getting a pellet rifle, but I know so little about them, that I wouldn't know a decent one from a bad one!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom