• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Yea, Quantico Tactical in Killeen offers discounts to Active, Retired, Reservists, and PD....but not regular vets. Their staff are all well versed on that too.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Hill Billy

USN 1974 -1977
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2018
    Colorado
    My wallet is already full. VA card, drivers license, concealed carry permit, credit card, money, etc.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Also looks like it will only be for those of us with honorable discharges:
    https://www.armytimes.com/veterans/2017/10/19/not-all-veterans-will-be-eligible-for-new-id-cards/
    The veteran designator on a regular DL also requires a Honorable at least in Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do the same for DL's where I'm at, but not sure if displayed the same way though.

ETA: Hadn't realized they ever stopped issuing ID's in the first place

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I just renewed my DL and took them my paperwork to get the veteran designation added to it.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Has anyone successfully used their vet-marked TX driver license to prove veteran status at, say, Lowe's to sign up for their vet discount, or maybe bypassing the need to sign up? - instead of bringing them a DD214 like I did.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Has anyone successfully used their vet-marked TX driver license to prove veteran status at, say, Lowe's to sign up for their vet discount, or maybe bypassing the need to sign up? - instead of bringing them a DD214 like I did.
    Good question, I’d like to know that myself

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I took my VA award letter into the local DPS DL office when I renewed last week to get the Veteran designator added. I had read their letter and saw where an award letter would work instead of a 214
    She read the letter and went down through it and said something like
    “Let’s see here......oh here it is “discharge , honorable”.... that’s all I needed to see.”

I’m not making it up, that’s what she said.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

I've used my TX DL to sign up at the customer service desk at Lowes for the Veterans discount. I've also shown my DL to the cashier at Home Depot and gotten the discount.

More and more stores are honoring the DL now. I can't remember the last time I had it turned down.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    All the silly rules and such is why I seldom seek a Vet discount. Got a VA card from Local
    VA hospital when registering. The card is marked "not for identification." but I've since seen it listed as ID to vote in Texas.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    If you've got to pull your wallet out to pay anyway, how hard is it to also pull out your DL and save 10%?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I took my VA award letter into the local DPS DL office when I renewed last week to get the Veteran designator added. I had read their letter and saw where an award letter would work instead of a 214
    She read the letter and went down through it and said something like
    “Let’s see here......oh here it is “discharge , honorable”.... that’s all I needed to see.”

I’m not making it up, that’s what she said.

Not doubting that's what happened, but I believe her statement was simply acknowledging your discharge wasn't under dishonorable circumstance, at which point Texas won't give you the 'veteran' designation on your DL or LTC...
    Eligibility

To be eligible for the veteran designation, an individual must be a veteran who was honorably discharged or has a general discharge (under honorable conditions).

Source: http://www.dps.texas.gov/driverlicense/vetservices.htm

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    DPS in Colorado County wanted a copy of my DD214. My DL is now marked Veteran. I did it before it was due for renewal. And, have used it in a few places. One time at Home Depot they just honored my veteran hat.

Straight from the source...
    Fee Exemption for Disabled Veterans

A Texas driver license or ID card may be provided free-of-charge to a veteran of the United States Armed Forces if the veteran:

1. Was honorably discharged
    2. Has a service-related disability of at least 60 percent
    3. Receives compensation from the United States because of the disability
    4. Is not subject to sex offender registration requirements

NOTE: The driver license fee exemption does not apply to commercial driver licenses.

Verification of Disability

To qualify for a fee exemption, veterans must present documents to verify their disability status while at the driver license office. If renewing by mail, the verification documents must be included with the renewal invitation. Once the disability status is established, the veteran will be eligible to use online services for fee-exempt driver license transactions.

To verify the disability, please present one of the following:

1. A signed letter on disability status issued by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs; or
    2. Official documents certifying conditions 1, 2, and 3 above.*

*If a veteran receives disability compensation but does not have a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, verification of the disability must be provided by the veteran’s branch of military service.

Source: http://www.dps.texas.gov/driverlicense/vetservices.htm

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Last month I lost my DL. I took my VA card (the old one) and a DD214. Got the replacement in a week marked Veteran.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I had my last VA letter stating I was Disabled and drawing disability pay. I also have a retired military ID card. I was prepared to pay the usual fee but she said I qualified for an exemption from paying. You can go to the Dod web-based application log in and print a copy of your VA Disability letter

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I had my last VA letter stating I was Disabled and drawing disability pay. I also have a retired military ID card. I was prepared to pay the usual fee but she said I qualified for an exemption from paying. You can go to the Dod web-based application log in and print a copy of your VA Disability letter

I'm going on the 13th anniversary of my being retired from the military, and I get a disability rating letter from the VA every year...

Top Bottom