• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Mine did have a skin and kinda turned leathery, maybe a little crispy too.

yeah I saw a few guides recommend wrapping in foil after 6-8 hours of smoking once the temp levels off at about 140. I know its just more experimentation because there is some conflicting info, even though I'm sure any method will work after long enough on the grill.
    Leathery aint crispy. Find the picture of the whole pig that I had posted & you will see pig skin done right!

I like to make my own blend of spices for my rubs. I keep mine pretty simple and so far seems to work really good.

Salt, black pepper, garlic powder, cayenne powder, cumin and brown sugar added if doing ribs, or a brisket.
    I mixed spice on a grand scale & never cared for doing it, and I'll admit I'm a bit lazy in my old age. Zach's use to mix anyones recipe & did it cheaper due to their bulk buying of spice. Hell half your grocery store spices are old to begin with, & lack flavor.
    Lynx Defense

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Mine did have a skin and kinda turned leathery, maybe a little crispy too.

yeah I saw a few guides recommend wrapping in foil after 6-8 hours of smoking once the temp levels off at about 140. I know its just more experimentation because there is some conflicting info, even though I'm sure any method will work after long enough on the grill.

There are lots of conflicting theories, and methods for smoking meats! No shortage of what works, and everyone has their ideas and methods. My method is just one you might give a try and see how it works for you. You may or may not get the same results as I do.

That just happens to be my method and it works very well for me. As long as the smoked meat is tender, and tastes good, it really doesn't have to be falling apart or off the bone for me. Some meats will by their grain structure, fall apart more readily than others if cooked low and slow. @baboon can explain it probably much better than I can since he use to be a meat cutter, and knows that part of the subject much better than myself.

This Is all part of the enjoyment for me of smoking meats. It's not the destination, but the journey where you find happiness!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Made chicken fajitas tonight with the chicken I smoked and grilled Sunday. Sure were good! Also took a load of food to my father Wednesday for him to eat on for several days. He just brags on the wife's potato salad, so she makes extra for him.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    @avvidclif, just curious, do you prefer the St. Louis ribs to the baby backs?

Personally I think there is more meat on the St. Louis ribs, and taste better.

It depends on what I'm doing. If cooking for a bunch, St Louis. For the wife and I Baby Back. With the rub I use there isn't a lot of difference in flavor. There is more meat on the St Louis

Biggest difference is St Louis takes over 6 hours but BB take 3. Of course I use 2 different smokers. One only holds 3 BB and that's squeezing them in. The other will hold 8 St Louis. Difference between a portable Country Smoker and Pit Boss upright.

I'm new to this but am sure liking the food.

Top Bottom