• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Is your Grendel on a AR platform or is it a bolt action rifle?

I don't currently load for the 6.5 Grendel, but a good friend of mine recently purchased a mini Howa 1500 bolt gun. Initial results using Hornady Black ammunition, either with the 123 gr ELDM or the 123 gr BTHP bullets, or Hornady Custom ammunition with the 123 gr SST bullet, have not been particularly good (best 3-shot group has been 1 1/2" at 100 yds). So, I'm guessing he and I will soon start with hand loading. I'm pretty confident that I can find something that does better than that!

From what I have read, Hornady uses a ball powder in their factory loads. I suspect that they use the same ball powder in all of them. And, my impression is that my friend's barrel probably doesn't like that particular powder.
    1.5" group is less than typical. My AR Grendel does better than that. My mini Howa bolt gun, much better. I'll love to try to group some rounds - let me know if you want to go out and play with some loads.
    Guns International

srab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2023
    San Antonio
    So I'm rejuvinating this thread. It seems I can reload 6.5 Grendel for the same price or 60 cents cheaper than Hornady black or Hornady Custom. (my calculations show about 1.05 a round versus 1.65)

Anyone been reloading for 6.5 Grendel what are your results compared to Hornady black or Hornady Custom?
    I don't know about you, but I've never saved any money by reloading!

Including the many many more trips to the rifle range, and probably 10-fold increase in shots delivered downrange, never mind the startup costs for reloading equipment, and the subsequent costs of the latest greatest gadgets, reloading is an expensive proposition. Loads of fun (pun intended), but expensive nevertheless.

If you think you might want to load for the 6.5 Grendel, I encourage you to do it! I just hope you don't expect to save money doing so.

srab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2023
    San Antonio
    1.5" group is less than typical. My AR Grendel does better than that. My mini Howa bolt gun, much better. I'll love to try to group some rounds - let me know if you want to go out and play with some loads.
    Thanks! I may reach out when we get to that point. Right now, he's just started asking about which dies and components to get.

He'll have Hornady brass. Thought I'd start out, if I can find it, with IMR 8208XBR, CCI 450 primers, and his bullet of choice (probably the ELDM). What have you had the best luck with?

FWIW, first order of business with the Howa, I think, is to adjust the trigger pull down to something more reasonable. Haven't gauged his, but pretty sure it's well over where it needs to be to shoot decent groups.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Is your Grendel on a AR platform or is it a bolt action rifle?

I don't currently load for the 6.5 Grendel, but a good friend of mine recently purchased a mini Howa 1500 bolt gun. Initial results using Hornady Black ammunition, either with the 123 gr ELDM or the 123 gr BTHP bullets, or Hornady Custom ammunition with the 123 gr SST bullet, have not been particularly good (best 3-shot group has been 1 1/2" at 100 yds). So, I'm guessing he and I will soon start with hand loading. I'm pretty confident that I can find something that does better than that!

From what I have read, Hornady uses a ball powder in their factory loads. I suspect that they use the same ball powder in all of them. And, my impression is that my friend's barrel probably doesn't like that particular powder.
    Mine does a little better than that.
    See here
    Thread 'Couple of G’s'
    https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/couple-of-g’s.118919/

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Thanks! I may reach out when we get to that point. Right now, he's just started asking about which dies and components to get.

He'll have Hornady brass. Thought I'd start out, if I can find it, with IMR 8208XBR, CCI 450 primers, and his bullet of choice (probably the ELDM). What have you had the best luck with?

FWIW, first order of business with the Howa, I think, is to adjust the trigger pull down to something more reasonable. Haven't gauged his, but pretty sure it's well over where it needs to be to shoot decent groups.
    Word of caution - I made quite a few rounds using 8208XBR and found the common recommended loads to be pretty damn hot.

Top Bottom