• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    What’s up everyone. I figured I’d introduce myself and give y’all something to laugh at. Just bought some really basic stuff to get myself started. Lee breechlock hand press , the 64dies for 6”5 Grendel and 308, the gauges and trimmer. Basic scales and power trays lube pad etc. got some Tac powder for the Grendel and quite a few rounds in 123 and 120 gr for that, Barnes and Lapua. Was able to find BLC2 for the 308, a bunch of Sierra 168&175 bullets some 180gr and 165 hunting bullets. Brownel’s had IMR 40but it was an 8 lb container. Going to shoot what factory ammo I have for each and start keeping the brass while I get primers. I’ve been trying to read up on all this and pick up as much info as possible.What reloading manual(s) can help me out the most? Probably be just sticking with the 2 calibers for a while but I may eventually do 223, 6,5 creed and 30-06 if I like it.
    Guns International

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I'd get a few manuals from any reputable manufacturers. It helps to have different ones because they will cover different powders etc. The hodgdonreloading.com website is really helpful too for recipes - but doesn't replace the knowledge and information in the reloading manuals.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Some basic rules:
    1) NEVER have more than one powder on bench at a time.
    2) Never have more than one type of primer, or bullet on bench at a time.
    3) Read several manuals about reloading before you begin.
    4) Weigh every charge on a scale that is balanced and been checked for accuracy.
    5) NEVER drink or be tired when reloading, or split your attention between a TV, radio etc either and try to reload. It is very easy to forget exactly where you are in the charging of a case sequence. Pistol ammo uses tiny powder amounts and it is easy to double charge a case with disastrous results.
    6) IF you think you made a mistake.... double check, even if you have to pull bullets and reweigh powder, bullet etc.
    7) Label all the reloads with powder, charge weight, bullet manufacturer and weight, primer type, how many times case has been fired. ( you haven't lived till you have a case split or the neck break off when shooting)

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Lee breechlock hand press - lotsa luck with that. You can resize 308 but wait till you have a case of powder and try to seat the bullet while making sure no powder dumps out, balancing the press between your knees
    Look for a used Lee classic or rockchucker. Unless you are a really strong guy, with 3 hands. BLC will work OK for the 308. Do you have a dedicated reloading space? TV room is not a good place to reload.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Lee breechlock hand press - lotsa luck with that. You can resize 308 but wait till you have a case of powder and try to seat the bullet while making sure no powder dumps out, balancing the press between your knees
    Look for a used Lee classic or rockchucker. Unless you are a really strong guy, with 3 hands. BLC will work OK for the 308. Do you have a dedicated reloading space? TV room is not a good place to reload.
    I’m going to try and get a bench and clear out a little space in the garage

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    buy some 8208XBR as soon as possible! It is tailor made for 308 and Grendel.
    Well, to be fair, there are a huge number of powders that work reasonably well in both cartridges. Everybody has their favorites and some are better than others but I'm always amazed at the number of different powders that will work very well (within a few percentage points, no matter how you measure performance) in .308. From what I've read, the Grendel is almost as easy to work with; I have no experience with it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'd start with the book, "The ABC's Of Reloading" which is an excellent book for beginners and veterans. Lots of excellent information of getting started.

I'd also look into several reloading data books. As mentioned by others, a great one is the Lee Modern Reloading book. Others I'd suggest are, Nosler, Sierra, Speer, Barnes, Hodgen, Lyman and Hornaday are good to start with.

Always follow the proper safety procedures. They are there for very good reason. Reloading is very safe to do, as long as you pay attention, and follow the safety rules.

You can reload with the hand press, but they are more difficult and clumsy to use. Get a bench mounted press ASAP. Lee is probably going to be the least expensive, and don't let the price of Lee's products lead you to think they are cheap. The vast majority of their products, including their dies and presses are top notch.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Is anyone finding powder locally? My preferred local shop closed down a few years ago. Local bass pro has one random powder I don't need.
    Powder has been hit or Miss for a couple years.

powder Valley, Natchez, MidSouth Shooter Supply all have it regularly, but you have to check daily and it’s unlikely it’s one you want. Saw H110 this week in 8 lb jug. I’ve bought a jug or two at reasonable prices. But you have to take the time to check with those guys.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    So I'm rejuvinating this thread. It seems I can reload 6.5 Grendel for the same price or 60 cents cheaper than Hornady black or Hornady Custom. (my calculations show about 1.05 a round versus 1.65)

Anyone been reloading for 6.5 Grendel what are your results compared to Hornady black or Hornady Custom?

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    …buy some 8208XBR as soon as possible! It is tailor made for 308 and Grendel.
    This still stands.

Also hop over to
    And pick up the Grendel reloading handbooks. Well worth the price.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    So I'm rejuvinating this thread. It seems I can reload 6.5 Grendel for the same price or 60 cents cheaper than Hornady black or Hornady Custom. (my calculations show about 1.05 a round versus 1.65)

Anyone been reloading for 6.5 Grendel what are your results compared to Hornady black or Hornady Custom?
    I've run a lot of Hornady Black rounds and I've found it to be surprisingly good. I've run it over my Magnetospeed multiple times and had SD's < 10. I can get better velocity consistency with my handloads, but most of my data is with the same 123g bullets. I'd say my accuracy might be slightly better, but not significantly. I honestly haven't tuned my loads for maximum accuracy. I've always found the Black to be pretty good stuff.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

I don’t load for Grendel, but the process is the same. Black loads are typically very accurate for factory ammo.

But you can likely do a ladder test to develop a load that is just as accurate. For me personally the process is just as fun as the shooting.

I have several loads that shoot under 1/2” groups.

ETA - you can get the same or better accuracy for less money. When shooting from an AR it matters.

Last edited:

srab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2023
    San Antonio
    Is your Grendel on a AR platform or is it a bolt action rifle?

I don't currently load for the 6.5 Grendel, but a good friend of mine recently purchased a mini Howa 1500 bolt gun. Initial results using Hornady Black ammunition, either with the 123 gr ELDM or the 123 gr BTHP bullets, or Hornady Custom ammunition with the 123 gr SST bullet, have not been particularly good (best 3-shot group has been 1 1/2" at 100 yds). So, I'm guessing he and I will soon start with hand loading. I'm pretty confident that I can find something that does better than that!

From what I have read, Hornady uses a ball powder in their factory loads. I suspect that they use the same ball powder in all of them. And, my impression is that my friend's barrel probably doesn't like that particular powder.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom