• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    So I just got my new Redding Master Hunter die set in 6.5 Creedmoor from Midway today, and suspect that there is some rust on the dies in a couple places. I took out the alignment sleeve from the Competition Seating Die and it has a considerable amount of what I also think is rust... Here is a screenshot, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Has anyone ran into this before? If it is rust, what is the best way to remove this?

upload_2020-7-2_22-11-10.png
    Gun Zone Deals

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-2_22-11-10.png
      upload_2020-7-2_22-11-10.png
      186.4 KB · Views: 332

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Surface rust, happens. Ignore it, you'll be fine. Cant ignore it then hit it with 800 or 1000 grit to remove, and then use any quality lubricant to prevent. Really anal and hate it, drop it in some GEM and it will never come back.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    Surface rust, happens. Ignore it, you'll be fine. Cant ignore it then hit it with 800 or 1000 grit to remove, and then use any quality lubricant to prevent. Really anal and hate it, drop it in some GEM and it will never come back.

Okay cool, thanks for the tips! Are you saying 800/1000 grit steel wool? That won’t scratch the surface since the die is also steel?

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Okay cool, thanks for the tips! Are you saying 800/1000 grit steel wool? That won’t scratch the surface since the die is also steel?

Sandpaper, it's like rubbing compound on paper at those grits. steel wool works too, just remove it, protect it, and move on.

Read the "certain metals" part on CLR. There is no reason to use it, it is just surface rust. No big deal.

Top Bottom