New Pulsar Thermion XP - thoughts?

Sam Colt

Feb 22, 2012
Austin
I tried the ATN Thor 640 and it was a disaster. Poorly designed, crappy thermal resolution, buggy software. On the bright side it only took the recoil of a handful of .300BLK shots to kill it so the suffering wasn't prolonged.

Now looking at a Pulsar. The Trail series was highly regarded. It looks like the Thermion carries the features forward and adds some nice upgrades. Any thoughts?

kittyhawk

May 12, 2009
NE Houston
Check out The Late Night Vision Show podcast or on YouTube. They have reviewed the Thermion on several shows. Seems to be a huge success. I'm defentaly going to get one, the XM30 most likely.

roygarcia54

Jan 29, 2020
Alice
Pulsar has some awesome products I have a trail xq50 and it is amazing technology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
Rural Illinois
Check out... Night Vision Universe web site, They carry all brands but their AGM Global products are second to none.
They also entertain "offers" on their pricing. Great people to work with and very helpful... videos too!

Double Naught Spy

Mar 4, 2008
North Texas
I like Pulsars, but the Thermion line has been a challenge for them. The XP50 or XQ50 are the way to go, but the controls are wonky. By that I mean that you have to move your had from the eye piece controls several inches to the turret to make some changes. The buttons on the eye piece can be very difficult to depress correctly.

Do not get the XG. Still too many problems with it.

As for the guys on the Late Night Vision show, have you ever heard them give a bad review of any product they sell? That is the nature of trusting the people who stand to profit from that which they are reviewing. Bad reviews hurt sales.

EZ-E suggested Hogsters. Do not buy the 25mm. The Hogster-R 35mm is pretty good, but the Super Hogster 35mm is worth the extra money.

Friends don't let friends buy ATN.

-------------------

Pulsar does have the best customer service. Unfortunately with the Thermion line, a lot more people than usually seem to have needed it. ATN customer service is sometimes okay and a fight to get service the other times. No word on Bering Optics customer service. I don't know of any units that anyone has sent back.

Do note that all brands of thermal electro optics are apt to have issues sooner or later, regardless of what you pay for them. What sets most companies apart are how they treat their customers after the sale. Note that you aren't likely to be able to get your thermal device serviced by anyone other than the manufacturer, so it is critical that the manufacturer be one with good customer service. ATN ain't it.

Rookietjx2

Apr 5, 2021
Kokomo indiana
I own a few thermals and Bering Optics is the best bang for the buck.

My first thermal was a Trijicon IR Hunter MK3 35mm which I upgraded to 60mm. Great scope with arguably the best controls. The downside is that it's heavy. I bought a Pulsar Axion xm30 and have never been impressed with it. With a 320 core and small lense, it doesn't handle humidity well. My next purchase was a Bering Optics Hogster-r 35mm. I was so impressed with it that I bought one of the first Super Hogsters when they were released. It is now my primary hunting scope, and my Trijicon sits in the safe as a backup.

My hunting partner uses a Pulsar Apex. It's a pretty good scope. Unfortunately, Pulsar canceled the line and pushed the Trail which has been plagued with POI shift issues. My biggest gripe with Pulsar is the proprietary batteries which are expensive.

In the next few days, I'll have a Bering Optics Phenom to test which, most likely, will replace the Hogster-r 35mm as my scanner. I'm looking forward to it since the reviews have been impressive.

Bering optics customer service is amazing. The Super Hogster line had a few thermals that were released with the wrong screen which were affected by cold. In less than a week, they had it fixed, tested, and sent back.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
Oct 9, 2017
Mckinney TX
I own a few thermals and Bering Optics is the best bang for the buck.

My first thermal was a Trijicon IR Hunter MK3 35mm which I upgraded to 60mm. Great scope with arguably the best controls. The downside is that it's heavy. I bought a Pulsar Axion xm30 and have never been impressed with it. With a 320 core and small lense, it doesn't handle humidity well. My next purchase was a Bering Optics Hogster-r 35mm. I was so impressed with it that I bought one of the first Super Hogsters when they were released. It is now my primary hunting scope, and my Trijicon sits in the safe as a backup.

My hunting partner uses a Pulsar Apex. It's a pretty good scope. Unfortunately, Pulsar canceled the line and pushed the Trail which has been plagued with POI shift issues. My biggest gripe with Pulsar is the proprietary batteries which are expensive.

In the next few days, I'll have a Bering Optics Phenom to test which, most likely, will replace the Hogster-r 35mm as my scanner. I'm looking forward to it since the reviews have been impressive.

Bering optics customer service is amazing. The Super Hogster line had a few thermals that were released with the wrong screen which were affected by cold. In less than a week, they had it fixed, tested, and sent back.
Welcome and thanks for the insight. Will be watching this thread so looking forward to your next review.

Primary

TexasGunTalk Assistant
Here are some related products that TexasGunTalk members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TexasGunTalk’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TexasGunTalk discussions about these products.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud

Forum statistics

Threads
Members