New Posts ASTONISHING: TSRA working to SHUT DOWN Shooting/Hunting Areas in Texas

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    You will need 235 acres to support a 100x300 foot shooting area under the proposed legislation to avoid regulation.

Under the current legislation, you would only need a 5.5 acre parcel.

Umhm...land certainly isn't cheap these days. Which is the point. I'm sure anti-gun lawmakers don't mind that the cost of compliance would pretty much shut down the activity. More like their standard MO.

After all, anyone against 'safety' is a jerk and an idiot, usually called a bad example and a reason for the decline of civilization. 'Safety' makes a great camouflage for 'agenda'.
    Lynx Defense

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    After all, anyone against 'safety' is a jerk and an idiot, usually called a bad example and a reason for the decline of civilization. 'Safety' makes a great camouflage for 'agenda'.

Evidence of that in this thread by more than one.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    How about you suggest exactly what it is you'd like folks to do in regards to combating the proposed bill. Contact TSRA? Contact legislators? Both? Argue on an internet forum?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    How about you suggest exactly what it is you'd like folks to do in regards to combating the proposed bill. Contact TSRA? Contact legislators? Both? Argue on an internet forum?

Whatever your want. It is not my place to tell others what to do. I just want to keep folks informed. I already have all the guns & ammo and places to shoot them on right now that I will ever need and this bill won't affect me. If you think it will affect you, you may want to take action.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Evidence of that in this thread by more than one.

Renegade, you wonder why people respond to you like they/we do? You alone do more serious harm to issues just with your constant combative attitude. Verbal sparing, discussions and debate is one thing but when you constantly call people names and berate anyone that responds with anything other that praise for your words only pushes people away from the issue.

I think that there is a genuine reason for concern in this but I'll admit I blew off even trying to read through your entire post or link's based on the way you've come off, again. I sure I'm not alone in this, and every person you alienate is another voice that might need to be heard, on your side of the issue.

<stepping down from the pulpit yielding to the next speaker>

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Renegade, you wonder why people respond to you like they/we do?

No I do not really. I posted identical info on several boards, this is the only one where immature comments were posted. Don't have to be Columbo to figure that one out.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Let me guess, you neglected to refer to people in those forums as ignorant and stupid?

Nobody in this forum was called ignorant and stupid. I did use the well-known Forest Gump phrase "Stupid is as Stupid Does", to refer to people who shoot guns at other peoples homes, so I guess if you are one of those people, I did indirectly call you stupid, My apologies if you are one of these people.

As for ignorant, yes I did use another common phrase "As usual, ignorant gun owners are their own worst enemy.". This obviously was not directed at anyone here, but a general comment that gun owners tend to have their head in the sand, and not realize their actions or inactions have consequences. It was actually self-referential, as even I was ignorant of these bills until Saturday, my bad for trying to alert others.

Thanks for taking my otherwise informative thread about pending legislation that will affect Texas Gun Owners and turning it into something else.

You seem to have very thin skin and think generalized comments are personal attacks at you. In the future I will avoid responding to you so as not to stir you up anymore.

Innocent-Bystander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    I am a friend of Sage and he posted about this on another forums we go to. Here is what I found out today just by making some effort and not reacting to a single news paper report.

Remember the Seven P's guys

I called TSRA at Noon, and here is how it went...

I talked to Diane who is the Membership Coordinator and this is what she had to say....

The original bill was to outlaw firing a gun within a MILE of a occupied dwelling and TSRA fought them down to 1000 feet. Is that a sell out?

I also found out about some other rumors that are running around .

Open Carry in the State of Texas.
    This was all started by two law students in South Carolina. There are no Texas Legislators willing to sponsor this bill so it is dead in the water. A pipe dream that never had a chance. Is this something we should try to get passed? Absolutely.

Changing hunting from 10 to 20 acres in Texas. They haven't even heard of this one. No bill has been put forth into committee so its another false internet rabbit hole.

I then called Alice Tripp, who was in legislation for CCL on college campuses who took a few moments to answer my questions.

The Dallas Morning News (she called it) turned her quotes around on her. She said that they had been too successful in the original bill which was ONLY on land that had been annexed by a municipality, and that you were allowed to continue to hunt on that land regardless of that cites 'No discharge of firearms in city limits' laws. What happened is that developments were encroaching on these areas and they were having shot rain down on their properties. The original proposal out of committee was for there not to be any hunting or shooting allowed with in 1.5 MILES of a dwelling. The 1000 to 1500 feet was a compromise that she supported as necessary to ensure no peppering of innocent bystanders ( something I'm completely behind. Got to keep them IBs safe and protected) and no changing of the original law to keep hunting on your land in city limits.

This only has to do with hunting within city limits. There are no changes outside of those boundaries.

Me, just a common guy was able to reach TRSA head leadership with just three phone calls and they did not blow me off. They did answer my questions and with some ram rodding on my part, got them to listen to my points. They are in 'Circle the Wagons' mode right now and ready for the Indian horde members that are firing burning arrows at them right now due to the Dallas News falsely reporting this story.

So Sage, there was no selling out.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks for the update.

The original bill was to outlaw firing a gun within a MILE of a occupied dwelling and TSRA fought them down to 1000 feet.
    Yeah, we had a person hit with a 50 BMG at Texas Motor Speedway last year. So it is no surprise they wanted a buffer of a mile or more.

Is that a sell out?
    Legislative strategy is a tough call. I am no expert, but I do think if the bill had a mile buffer or even 2/3/5 mile buffer, it would probably have no chance of getting passed. But 1000 is doable. That is the problem with compromise.

This only has to do with hunting within city limits. There are no changes outside of those boundaries

No, it has to do with "Discharge of a Firearm" within city limits or ETJ. The word "hunting" is not mentioned in the bill. Collin County Gun Range was out of city limits at one time too. It got annexed, and then it was shutdown. Total lifetime was 7-8 years or so. Suburban Sprawl is annexing a lot of rural land these days.

Agains thanks for the update.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    I am Vice-Chairman of the TSRA Legislative Committee and, as Innocent-Bystander said, the original proposed bill was much worse than the 1,000/1,500 foot buffer. Alice did a great job getting it cut down to what it is now. In fact, work is still on-going, but I can't say what is in the works now. If we are successful, many of the fears expressed in this thread will become moot.

BTW, the original buffer was 1.5 miles and it had a very good chance of passing. We pulled a rabbit out of our hat when we passed the original bill in 2005. The vast majority of folks in Austin didn't fully realize our bill prevented municipalities from regulating hunting and shooting within city limits on certain tracts of land.

BTW, TSRA did not say it was supporting this bill, but we're still working to improve it.

Chas.

Innocent-Bystander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Lets keep in mind what all this is.

-Private property that people hunted and shot on was being annexed by cities.
    -No discharging firearms within City limits, there went the hunting/shooting on that land. Period.
    -2005 TSRA worked for legislation to allow the use of firearms on that property again with the limit of having to be at least 150 feet from a building.
    -Peoples homes and businesses were getting peppered with shot or disturbed by the noise.
    -Texas Legislations answer for this is to just move this activity 1.5 miles away from any buildings.
    -TSRA fought that down to 1000/1500 feet.

My question still stands... who sold you out?
    Laws are written usually due to dealing with the lowest common denominator or stupid actions. Was the noise enough to cause this? I think so.

Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Time to make some phone calls, guys. I was thinking about joining TSRA, might not after this.

Call them if you're a member, threaten to cancel or not re-apply if they don't drop their support. If you're not, tell them that you're lost as a potential member if they don't.

I have heard (might be correct) that in the past the NRA took a stance that was opposed to what the majority of the members wanted, but after they were contacted by the membership, they changed that stance.

That is how it is supposed to work.

It is better to make a phone call or write a letter than to cancel out your membership in our TSRA! We need our TSRA, without our organized opposition, we are just turning over control to the Communist Gun Grabbers!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yes, they have done that.

I will say that NRA is different than a smaller local group. Ditching a smaller local group isn't the same as boycotting NRA. NRA has a lot of clout and is worth the effort to reform. I've got experience with smaller groups that were useless and need to be avoided (CRPA used to be one). Had we not been able to reform CRPA, we'd have done our best to kill it off.

But there's no reason to get all worked up. TSRA is actually working in our interest. I'm going to join TSRA.

There were other interesting things InnocentBystander learned in his conversation. I'll see if I can convince him to post about it tonight.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    This all started last year,when a group of hunters in Collin county were dove hunting in a field right next to a new subdivision. The local news was out there and from the camera view,the hunters didn't have the common sense to be out there,right next to the houses. If you can't use common sense about this,then you get what you deserve. They were in the city limits,not out in an unincorporated part of the county.
    The hunters said they have hunted there for years-Yeah,There weren't houses there then. Hell,I was born and raised in Grapevine,and we used to hunt all over the place 30yrs ago. Would I think about hunting there now-NO,there are houses everywhere now. If people would use their brains a little more this kind of stuff wouldn't happen.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    This just blows chunks.
    My property is 497 foot wide by 2783 foot deep
    One side of my property is lined by houses 300 foot from my fence line.

This would outlaw hunting on my property. It would stop me from killing the 15+ hogs a year that I donate to hunters for the hungry. This would also make my private gun range illegal.

Ok I miss spoke, this would only apply to me IF and only IF my land is or was annexed after 9-1-1981
    I am on until the city annexes me.

This only applies to land within the city limits.

Top Bottom