• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    This from ‘’Louisiana Shooting’’, the LA “NRA Affiliate”

My added comments, first: The ultra EVIL ‘’Landrieu Crime Family’’ still controls New Orleans like the Daly’s used to control
    Chicago. Their minions repeatedly try to violate US & LA Constitutions to the point that our Federal District Judges have threatened to jail police officials.

My current recommendation is to avoid N O if possible; but if holding a TX CL, do carry.

Spend as little time as possible in N O, Shreveport, or northern Baton Rouge.

Our other cities are much better places to visit.

Recall that Federal Appeals Courts for Texas are in NO.

leVieux

see:

Last edited:

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Sigh. I miss the '70s when New Orleans was an amazing weekend trip from Houston for great food and great jazz. It could still be iffy around the Quarter at night, but it wasn't need-private-executive-protection-detail dangerous.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    What do you know about the Daly family? My grandfather was childhood friends with Richard J and helped him build handball courts around the city- how he got his family name out there. He then went on to be on his security detail. They ran a tight ship and were far better than anything that has come since. I would much rather have them back running Chicago.

Daley is remembered for doing much to save Chicago from the declines that other rust belt cities such as Cleveland, Buffalo, and Detroit experienced during the same period. He had a strong base of support in Chicago's Irish Catholic community and was treated by national politicians such as Lyndon B. Johnson as a pre-eminent Irish American, with special connections to the Kennedy family. Daley played a major role in the history of the Democratic Party, especially with his support of John F. Kennedy in the presidential election of 1960 and of Hubert Humphrey in the presidential election of 1968. He would be the longest-serving mayor in Chicago history until his record was broken by his son Richard M. Daley in 2011. A panel of 69 scholars in 1993 ranked him sixth among the ten best mayors in American history.[2]

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    What do you know about the Daly family? My grandfather was childhood friends with Richard J and helped him build handball courts around the city- how he got his family name out there. He then went on to be on his security detail. They ran a tight ship and were far better than anything that has come since. I would much rather have them back running Chicago.

Daley is remembered for doing much to save Chicago from the declines that other rust belt cities such as Cleveland, Buffalo, and Detroit experienced during the same period. He had a strong base of support in Chicago's Irish Catholic community and was treated by national politicians such as Lyndon B. Johnson as a pre-eminent Irish American, with special connections to the Kennedy family. Daley played a major role in the history of the Democratic Party, especially with his support of John F. Kennedy in the presidential election of 1960 and of Hubert Humphrey in the presidential election of 1968. He would be the longest-serving mayor in Chicago history until his record was broken by his son Richard M. Daley in 2011. A panel of 69 scholars in 1993 ranked him sixth among the ten best mayors in American history.[2]

I’m no expert on either the Daly’s nor Chicago; but their reputation for corruption was global.

cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I am not surprised at all. I have passed through Louisiana this past February when I visited Jacksonsvill, Florida. On my way there it was allright but on our way back we saw 8 police cars chasing someone on I10 in NO.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I am not surprised at all. I have passed through Louisiana this past February when I visited Jacksonsvill, Florida. On my way there it was allright but on our way back we saw 8 police cars chasing someone on I10 in NO.

<>

I currently live b/t N O & Houston. and work for U FL Med JAX. For that drive, take IH12 in mid-Baton Rouge, go North of the Lake, and miss N O entirely. Also saves about 45”.

Before crossing into MS, you rejoin IH10 @Sldell, the last city in LA, which was founded by my P GG GF, & the major intersection is named for him. There is a large shopping center there.

Some 30 miles to the East is Gulfport. At North Gulfport, North of IH10, there is a good WhatABurger. If you have time, the original “Half-Shell Oyster Bar” seafood restaurant in downtown old Gulfport is also a favorite.

You may also want to detour via the “Old Tunnel’ at Mobile Bay, as the new IH10 Tunnel is often site of massive traffic jams, for unknown reasons.

leVieux

<>

cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    <>

I currently live b/t N O & Houston. and work for U FL Med JAX. For that drive, take IH12 in mid-Baton Rouge, go North of the Lake, and miss N O entirely. Also saves about 45”.

Before crossing into MS, you rejoin IH10 @Sldell, the last city in LA, which was founded by my P GG GF, & the major intersection is named for him. There is a large shopping center there.

Some 30 miles to the East is Gulfport. At North Gulfport, North of IH10, there is a good WhatABurger. If you have time, the original “Half-Shell Oyster Bar” seafood restaurant in downtown old Gulfport is also a favorite.

You may also want to detour via the “Old Tunnel’ at Mobile Bay, as the new IH10 Tunnel is often site of massive traffic jams, for unknown reasons.

leVieux

<>
    A friend told me the same thing about that route to Florida and bypassing NO. My daughter decided not to attend Jacksonville U but for future trips we will take that route unless we want to visit NO which is unlikely since our last experience. I do want to visit Pensacola and other nearby beaches as it was nice. I love the Naval Museum in Pensacola and plus it was huge and fun. We only made pit stops in Gulfport and Mobile.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    A friend told me the same thing about that route to Florida and bypassing NO. My daughter decided not to attend Jacksonville U but for future trips we will take that route unless we want to visit NO which is unlikely since our last experience. I do want to visit Pensacola and other nearby beaches as it was nice. I love the Naval Museum in Pensacola and plus it was huge and fun. We only made pit stops in Gulfport and Mobile.
    <>

We lived @ Panama City for years & Oldest Daughter has been in Pensacola over 35 years.

I had private planes until I got a pacemaker in 2019. Have visited the Panhandle since Dad took me there in the late 1940's.

IMHO, if wanting to go past Orange Beach/Fairhope/Mobile Point; we'd go all the way to Port Saint Joe & Apalachicola. The beaches & water are just as nice but there are no Ferris wheels, side shows, screaming mobs, waiting lines, or loud music venues.

I recommend the Consulate Inn & the Water Street Hotel in Apalachicola. If seeking economy, there is an excellent Best Western on the West edge of town. In addition to Saint George Island & Cape San Blas, both very short drives, there are beautiful rivers, including the Apalachicola River & Bay, to explore in small boats. We've ben trailering our 16' Jon boat in recent years.

One bonus is that at this time of year, both Saint Joe & Apalachicola Bays are full of easily hand harvested bay scallops, very delicious.

leVieux

<>

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    <>

leVieux

<>
    I spent a great deal of my childhood in Slidell and I have to say that at that time it was a great place to grow up. I have nothing but fond memories of that time. My dad was in the space program and worked at Michoud in NO. We left in 1972 after the Apollo program ended. NO was always a cesspool but is even worse now. Being in the oil business, I had to travel there for business and conventions. Often convention attendees would be robbed at gunpoint, typically those that were out late partying on Bourbon street. When cops were called the typical response was, well you were lucky that you weren't killed, enjoy your stay in NO. I have no desire to visit NO ever again.

Last edited:

cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    <>

We lived @ Panama City for years & Oldest Daughter has been in Pensacola over 35 years.

I had private planes until I got a pacemaker in 2019. Have visited the Panhandle since Dad took me there in the late 1940's.

IMHO, if wanting to go past Orange Beach/Fairhope/Mobile Point; we'd go all the way to Port Saint Joe & Apalachicola. The beaches & water are just as nice but there are no Ferris wheels, side shows, screaming mobs, waiting lines, or loud music venues.

I recommend the Consulate Inn & the Water Street Hotel in Apalachicola. If seeking economy, there is an excellent Best Western on the West edge of town. In addition to Saint George Island & Cape San Blas, both very short drives, there are beautiful rivers, including the Apalachicola River & Bay, to explore in small boats. We've ben trailering our 16' Jon boat in recent years.

One bonus is that at this time of year, both Saint Joe & Apalachicola Bays are full of easily hand harvested bay scallops, very delicious.

leVieux

<>
    I will go back to the Naval Museum and beaches in the coming future.

Attachments

• Tomcat.jpg
      Tomcat.jpg
      354.9 KB · Views: 18
    • 1000002993.jpg
      1000002993.jpg
      210.1 KB · Views: 18
    Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Sigh. I miss the '70s when New Orleans was an amazing weekend trip from Houston for great food and great jazz. It could still be iffy around the Quarter at night, but it wasn't need-private-executive-protection-detail dangerous.
    I enjoyed several trips to N. O. during the 70s but not go there now.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I spent a great deal of my childhood in Slidell and I have to say that at that time it was a great place to grow up. I have nothing but fond memories of that time. My dad was in the space program and worked at Michoud in NO. We left in 1972 after the Apollo program ended. NO was always a cesspool but is even worse now. Being in the oil business, I had to travel there for business and conventions. Often convention attendees would be robbed at gunpoint, typically those that were out late partying on Bourbon street. When cops were called the typical response was, well you were lucky that you weren't killed, enjoy your stay in NO. I have no desire to visit NO ever again.
    I know I'm in the minority here, but the greater Nola area is still one of my favorite places. Politics and local police aside. What things were the attendees doing to be robbed at gun point "often"? Not saying it can't happen. Maybe my personal experiences make me biased. I've lived there for a time. Been visiting there my entire life. Mardi Gras, Christmas, St Patty's, Voodoo fest, football games etc. My best friend met her husband on one of our Mardi Gras trips. I don't personally know anyone that has had that type of encounter. I've walked across the city at all times of the night. I know there is alot of crime there. Hell, it was the murder capitol for a long time. Maybe we don't give off the I'm an easy target vibe.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    We're kind of fond of Biloxi. We'll take a side trip to NOLA but spend more time in Biloxi. Mostly because it's more laid-back. But NOLA doesn't scare me. Been there many, many, times but you do need to be a bit cautious.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I know I'm in the minority here, but the greater Nola area is still one of my favorite places. Politics and local police aside. What things were the attendees doing to be robbed at gun point "often"? Not saying it can't happen. Maybe my personal experiences make me biased. I've lived there for a time. Been visiting there my entire life. Mardi Gras, Christmas, St Patty's, Voodoo fest, football games etc. My best friend met her husband on one of our Mardi Gras trips. I don't personally know anyone that has had that type of encounter. I've walked across the city at all times of the night. I know there is alot of crime there. Hell, it was the murder capitol for a long time. Maybe we don't give off the I'm an easy target vibe.

<>

If you’d spend a bit of time in large hospital ED’s, you’d hear horror stories every night.

Since the Landrieu Crime Family now has firm control, career criminals walk the streets armed.

If you’re really interested, P.M. me your phone #, & I’ll tell you some stories.

leVieux

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    We're kind of fond of Biloxi. We'll take a side trip to NOLA but spend more time in Biloxi. Mostly because it's more laid-back. But NOLA doesn't scare me. Been there many, many, times but you do need to be a bit cautious.

<>

I love Biloxi too.

Sadly, the old Biloxi just isn’t there any more.

I kept a sportsfisher at Broadwater Marina in the late 1980’s when the Hotel was still there & open.

We’d tow a smaller boat out to the Chandeleurs to fish the flats, using the big boat as a base camp for long weekends.

I still recall Sinopoli’s “Pop’s Ferry”, Angelo’s, Fairchild’s, Gus Stevens’, etc.

I was on Pathology Service at LSU Med when they brought Jayne Mansfield’s corpse in for autopsy. She died in an awful wreck earlier that morning, on her way back to her N.O. hotel, from Gus’ place. Monroe Samuels was the Physician “on” then, and called me to do the check list. I didn’t attend the actual autopsy he did that afternoon.

We still take the beachfront highway sometimes, on our way to or from Pensacola, P.C., or Apalachicola.

<>

Top Bottom